My 1st EO game, few ?'s

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
12 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
doctor_roxo
Ragelope

My 1st EO game, few ?'s

Postby doctor_roxo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi everyone. nice site you have here. Just picked up my pre-order and started playing. I did use my demo progress so i'm a few hours in.

1) What is Autopilot's purpose? I'm at the part where the little tutorial drops down and shows me about making a path and using Autopilot. Not sure what this would be used for...

2) What do all the Map Icons mean? I know i can use them however i want. But i was hoping there would be a manual that came with the game and it would show what the developers had made them for, a general guide i guess. I did a search looking for this, was hoping someone had made a guide or something, but didn't find anything.
Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em!

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My 1st EO game, few ?'s

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Autopilot is good for a few things. I've used it to set the fastest path Through a floor once I've found it. I've also used it to make running into enemies less tedious.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm

2) There should be manual you can access through the 3DS menu before you enter the game, I believe. But heres a few:
!, ? = Case sensetive, use these how you like to mark confusing or key events. I typically like putting ! symbols for the landing spot of one way warps and pits in previous EO games.
The Arrows typically signify shortcuts or any other use for showing the direction of something.
The purple orb typically signifies an FOE's general location.
The autopilot arrows allow you to automatically take a path through the dungeon, I personally like using them to make circles for grinding in EO3, will probably do the same thing this time around.
E = Event
The Door-like arch you see symbolizes doors, its what we use on the forums to signify a sticky.
And there's a few more, if you have a question about one in particular don't be afraid to ask.

Xtatica
Ragelope

Postby Xtatica » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Is really confusing at first, but you get used to it.

The only thing I founded weird in this game is the chest marking. Do anyone know what it is supposed to be? I personally think is the little clover thing, but it might be something else.

doctor_roxo
Ragelope

Postby doctor_roxo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

thanks everyone. yea i just found the manual. looked thru it but they don't have much map icon help. might be a nice project to make some type of general guide. i'd do it but i don't know how to do stuff like that.

i guess the main ones i was wondering about was that purple orb thing, the clovers, the 2 twinkly stars, the one under the open door [its like a little red triangle in the top left corner]. thats about it i guess.

@Xtatica if i remember correctly, i think i used the star [yellow one] for the one chest i found in the first dungeon.

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Honestly, the map icons are more for your own guidance. I'm sure they were included with some idea of what they should be, but you can use them however you like to mark your map. The important thing is that it makes sense to you, since you're the only one who'll be reading the map.

That said, the clover is the "treasure box" icon, I believe. In the past games the boxes had clover markings on them, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. I'd guess that they kept the clover icon for consistency with the past games.
Grey medic is best medic.

doctor_roxo
Ragelope

Postby doctor_roxo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm

chest=clover icon. but isn't there 2 different clover icons, or am i thinking of the skyship map icons? hmm...

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

On the skyship map, I'm not entirely certain what the difference between the Blue and Green icons is supposed to be. I suppose we'll find out later in the game though.
Grey medic is best medic.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 pm

1) I never used it in the previous game(s) that had it.
2) You can use the icons for whatever you want, like Ydhadix said.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

BlueMortimer
Ragelope

Postby BlueMortimer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 am

To answer the earlier question regarding it, that icon of the red triangle that you spoke of is actually your best friend in the whole world, if you've not already experimented with it already and found out that it is, in fact . . .

. . . a means to leave little notes on your map. You can write a little short line to yourself (like '[color] = ripe' for that one bit with the fruit tree with the three colors of fruit), and view it either by tapping the icon on the map, or by facing that space while exploring (it'll show up on the top screen in this case, visibly).

For extra fun, you can actually put it on top of an existing icon, for such purposes as further description, indicating that you're using a certain icon for a purpose you normally wouldn't, or even noting something you want to come back to -- or any other purpose you can think of wanting to tack a note onto a symbol for. (Plus, if the note's on top of a symbol, the symbol in question will show with the note.)

It's pretty useful.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:01 am

doctor_roxo
Ragelope

Postby doctor_roxo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 pm

@BlueMortimer I actually did figure out the "Note" icon. really like that they did that. been using it a lot.

it's too bad we don't have pics of each icon. we could make our own template for all of them.

12 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”