Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: Subclassing Synergy List attempt

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 am

Krimmydoodle
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Krimmydoodle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 am

ELM forges and Hawkeye have no effect on Accel Drive and Origin Rune. It's worth noting that Imperial's Element Boost and Runemaster's Runic Flare specify "Increases elemental and untyped attack power." The separation of the terms "elemental" and "untyped" tell me that the game intends for you to treat them separately.

However, there's a bit of an oddity in the terminology used in Runic Gleam, which effects both [Element] Drives and Accel Drive. When you look at it in the skill tree, Runic Gleam says "Increases the power of your magical attack skills", while when you actually cast Runic Gleam, the combat message says "[Character]'s elemental attack increases!" In this particular case, the game says it's boosting elemental damage, and Accel Drive, despite being an untyped attack, is boosted. So, the game itself shows some inconsistency in how it defines these things.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

^

FomeRubr555
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FomeRubr555 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 am

EO1: P R | A H M
EO2: P R | G H M
EO3: H/N Y/B S/B | Z/A P/M
EO4: I/F I/N I/R | S/N A/M

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am

^ Good stuff.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd like to pose a (currently untested) Fortress/Bushi synergy: Mace skills and power boost for fighting Fortresses, and most importantly, Ferocity, which lets them recover more HP than Healing Wall does simply by delivering normal attacks (about ~70 when maxed as a subclass, 4 ranks).

In theory, you could set up taunt/rampart, and then deliver DPS alongside other front-line fighters without sacrificing survivability.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

xx1234xx1234xx
Ragelope

Postby xx1234xx1234xx » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Question on Nightseeker/Runemaster:

Does the Nightseeker's "Proficiency" skill line boost damage for rune skills against an ailing enemy?

If so, isn't there an argument to be made for at least a "blue" rating by being able to hit a monster's elemental weakness and get boosts from (Weakness + Runic Guidance + Proficiency). That sounds like pretty decent damage, even if it is a bit situational.

Additional benefits would include:
1) Runic Guidance boost to the Ice Knife where applicable, as well as any enemy weak to Slash.

2) It could also be used to increase TP and sometimes get Free Energy, depending on how many skill points you wanted to give them.

3) Even just one point in Runic Shield would occasionally block elemental damage to people in the line.

Since Ice Knife gives you some Ice, you could even get decent elemental coverage by only going down two trees (Fire and Volt).

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 am

Attack runes are not recommended on a Nightseeker/Runemaster since their TEC is not very good.

Ice Knife can deal a total of around 900% damage, assuming you have Runic Gleam, the target is stricken with any ailment AND the target is under the effects of Ice Rune. While this is good damage, the amount of setup isn't worth the payoff. Swift Edge does around 830% damage and it only needs the enemy to be stricken by an ailment.

Runic Precision can affect the damage you deal with Shadow Bite or Swift Edge, but unlike Fire/Ice/Volt attacks, there's no way to add a Slash type weakness to enemies. Neither are there many bosses or FOEs weak to Slashing damage either.

xx1234xx1234xx
Ragelope

Postby xx1234xx1234xx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Good point about the low TEC. But I guess I still never got an answer to my main question, even if only to satisfy my own curiosity:

Does the Nightseeker's trademark "more damage against ailing enemies" skill boost rune damage?

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm

xx1234xx1234xx
Ragelope

Postby xx1234xx1234xx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Well, good to know, even if the subclass still isn't a terribly viable option.

Thanks for the help!

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi!

I'm a veteran fan of the EO series but due to me living in Europe, it took some time for EO4 to get here. And then it took even longer before I got a 3DS. Then even longer before I got EO4. And then even more time until I played it. So that explains why I'm kind of...super late to the party. So to speak.

Still not done with all of it though, and still meddling with different sub-classes and everywhere I look, people say mostly the same thing about the classes, so I was delighted to find this thread that gathered all advice and even added some more info. Great collection of advice, but I DO have some feedback to give...but will it really matter now, four years after the latest response?

I'll wait and see if anyone cares. If so, I can add some more info here along with a few unorthodox class choices.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:15 am

Please do, I just beat it last week and would like to discuss weird classes.

I did a pretty safe party,

Imperial/Runemaster, Protector/Dancer, Landsknecht/Runemaster
Runemaster/Imperial, Medic/Arcanist

So I can't really discuss interesting combos until I mess around more.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Wolfling
Ragelope

Postby Wolfling » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:57 am

Yes, somebody revive this, here's my question: is there a class combo, that can heal enough for the post game without any medic? I really want to make a non-medic party for my post game so I'm searching for alternative.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:01 am

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but if you have some kind of aversion to Medics; Arcanist is the best option.

You don't need the Medic sub on them either depending on playstyle. The main reason you sub Medic on them is for status removal and revives generally. Possibly Star Drop as well if you have anyone with the Dancer skill set to ensure they go before your damage dealers.

73 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”