Nightseeker Questions

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

FomeRubr555
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Nightseeker Questions

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 am

So, I've beaten the game by now, but there has been something that confused me since the very beginning. Nightseeker is listed as a class that can work on either row, but is this true? I know the status afflictions are ranged attacks, but most of their damage seems to come from their sword skills (which are listed as melee, so I assume they'd only work well from the front). Is it possible for them to do any sort of good damage from the back row without subclassing?

Also, when equipped with a dagger, do they deal full damage from the back row? Their description seemed to imply as much (something about throwing knives), and I thought maybe they had an effect similar to Ninjas from EO3 when using one. But now I'm thinking that wording just misled me, and that it referred to their status skills...
EO1: P R | A H M
EO2: P R | G H M
EO3: H/N Y/B S/B | Z/A P/M
EO4: I/F I/N I/R | S/N A/M

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: Nightseeker Questions

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 am

Only their thrown skills do full damage in the back row. Their main damage dealing skills do reduced damage in the back row. Daggers are the same as a regular melee weapon, so they too do reduced damage in the back row as well.

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:01 pm

My Nightseeker's MO is afflicting a status (any will do, but more debilitating ones are preferred of course) with Throws, then using Shadow Bite for massive damage. The throwing would work from the back row, but not the follow-up Shadow Bite.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

emailboxu
Fenrir

Postby emailboxu » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:30 pm

My assumption is that a back-row NightSeeker would just put status effects on enemies and sub as a support class, though I don't agree that it would be an effective build.

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 pm

If you subbed Dancer or Sniper, that would give you access to Bows for ranged normal attacks. Dancer sub would probably be more for support/stun shenanigans, while the Sniper sub could be more offensive (Squall Shot + Status Proficiency = Profit?)
Grey medic is best medic.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

^ The Nighty-skills with all the damage don't work with bows, though.
You could still use them by off-handing a sword, but I don't think that would bypass rows.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 pm

I've never used a Nightseeker as a main class, but I was thinking it might be more beneficial for a back row Seeker to use his subclass's Bow skills (in the case of the Sniper) or his normal attacks (in the case of the Dancer) in tandem with the throw skills for his damage output,and completely forego using daggers/swords. You won't get Status Mastery (or if you do go for Status Mastery, you'll have to invest a lot of skill points in skills that won't be used often) but it allows the Nightseeker to still deal decent damage while supporting from the back row.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I think anyone who has used a Nightseeker can agree that half-strength Sniper skills have nothing on the Nightseeker's attack skills. Nothing!

Assassinate is great way of disposing trash mobs. Shadow Bite can do ludicrous amounts of damage if the enemy is inflicted with an ailment. Swift Edge can also do ludicrous amounts of damage AND assist Link based Landsknects, albeit at a 50% chance with each hit. But when you're attacking like 10 times, that's pretty damn good.

As for getting a Nightseeker to work in the back, I imagine they expect most people stick their NS in the back, use a Throw skill until the enemy is inflicted with an ailment. Once the enemy is crippled, move to the front row and go in for the kill.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 am

^ Skills can many-link?
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 am

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:21 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 am

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 am

Ahh, thanks for the feedback everyone. Not sure how spoiler this is, but I'll hide it just to be on the safe sign.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:19 am

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 am

That's informative. I knew leg bind and sleep prevented dodging, but I didn't know about blindness.

I figured those extra hits on Squall Volley might turn out better, but I guess the extra Follow Trace chance would probably make up for that. ...Though, I still like how Sniper looks more than NS. :P

I think I'm just wary because my first play through was very dependent on binds. A little TOO much. I didn't want to repeat the same thing with status effects. I wanted a back row character with damage that would be pretty steady, regardless of the enemy's affliction (or lack thereof).

16 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”