Been debating/discussing this: New EO game ideas

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Been debating/discussing this: New EO game ideas

Postby Dangerus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 am

I remember a similar topic relating to this in the Etrian Odyssey 3 forum.
Here are ideas I thought would be great:

1.Importing our data from the first three Etrian Odyssey games as well as four.
-EO3 would have the option to pick which characters you want based on the factions you picked in each ending. (i.e. if you picked Armoroad Ending, you would have Kujura and Gutrune in your party. Deep City you would have Seyfried and Olympia. True Ending means you have everyone mentioned above.)
- EO4 improved the Skill Tree. One solution is that there would be special classes based on how the previous classes work. (When importing EO3 characters, they would have all of their original skills and still be at lvl. 10 (if at lvl. 99) because they would have new skills to fit with the new setup in EO4).
- I know I am using examples in EO3, but for EO2 imports, if you imported your data from EO1 into EO2, more plot related credit to you because of it, your EO2+EO4 code will make you more famous than before. Though now it'll look funny to you if you were new.
- a newbie with no games to import into? That's okay. There would be Guild Cards that'll help you see what they look like! 8D

2. More floors than Labyrinths?
- Or is that ridiculous? I know for me the game was easier even on Normal Mode because of it, but... Wow. Was disappointed there wasn't more in the
- but side quests were easier to get to when having those extra labyrinths! Even with the
- Still, really wish the Lush Woodlands have more floors...

3. Whatever else you guys think is a good idea.
- Just not making giant plot based trees that show everyone's relationship with each other. That is cool but overtly complex and just drains the gameplay on what can potentially be a good game. It's better to just write fan fiction than post that stuff in game. Trust me. I boggled my own mind seeing that how would work...

Cross The Rubicon
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Been debating/discussing this: New EO game ideas

Postby Cross The Rubicon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 am

In all honesty, I'm kinda torn between the mono multi tier labyrinth and EO4's split up setup. EO1-3 had really consistent but large floor setups, but often it felt strange as I kept progressing downward how each stratum was tied together. in EO4, the dungeon variety is humongous. but at a cost had to be more bite sized in order to not have dungeons drag on excessively, yet all fit together to meet the current land. overall in 4 there's more dungeon floors per land/stratum then other games.

In all honesty, I want to games to remain being self contained, as it allows a lot more freedom in class design and world design, one of the biggest problems with 2 was how some classes just did not mesh well at all with the new additions, such as war magus dominating over every niche medics used to fill. it wasn't because the warmagus was too good, it was because the medic was balanced for EO1, not EO2.

What I would love to see however is nobility returning to the next EO game, the prince and princess classes added a unique flavor to team building that only they could deliver. I would also love to see some more 6th slot shenanigans as well, although nothing as over powered as the ninja.

However, I nominate Scavenger Toma to be the game's official loot farmer, now he needs an awesome portrait like whirlwind. :P

BlueMortimer
Ragelope

Postby BlueMortimer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:12 am

Y'know what'd be nice for them to include in a future EO game?

. . . A Trick House.

We've all seen them in RPG's: dungeons where 90% of it is one lousy puzzle. They were either fun (if it was a nifty puzzle) or frustrating (if it was a filthy Guide-Dang-It), but they existed.

One particular RPG that did it in a rather interesting fashion, would be Pokemon. Straightforward they may have been, but not only the Gyms had their respective gimmicks (Lt. Surge's especially infamously) . . . but in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, they introduced the concept about which I'm talking about.

The Trick House! A location dedicated to being a different sort of puzzle dungeon with each time you visited it.

I feel that with how an EO game is structured, it could probably stand to potentially have a location like this built into it for the entertainment of player and characters alike -- just some sort of funhouse, ninja castle, or otherwise-likely-to-be-structured-as-a-puzzle-dungeon location with mock enemies (copies of existing enemies that look different and don't drop the usual giblets; possibly mechas a la ) that you could access multiple times over the course of the game to get different dungeon experiences.

For extra fun, this same location could also serve as a vehicle for DLC dungeons that would hearken back to previous games, a means by which special pieces of equipment could be acquired (possibly via things dropped from the mock enemies), or even (if they were feeling merciful at the time) a slightly safer training ground (e.g., you'd have your EXP store up and then be tallied in full at the end of the dungeon, but if you 'died' you get dragged out and only gain a fraction of that EXP).

But the main point of the area would, of course, be to actually be able to produce gimmicky fun dungeons, the sorts of things that the developers would have wanted to fit into other parts of the game but couldn't! (Or that were fit into previous games, like .)

Aaaand now I'm rambling. But I'll stop now. The tl;dr is they ought to include a dedicated puzzle dungeon area in a future EO game so that they can fun around with game mechanics and making our brains hurt for fun and profit.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 am

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 am

Grey medic is best medic.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:40 pm

Whoops! Sorry!

So... Yeah. Any other ideas?

Terithian
Fenrir

Postby Terithian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 pm

I personally would prefer a new game to go back to the one giant interconnected dungeon of the first three games. I loved the feeling it gave of delving into the farthest depths of the world. Perhaps the best thing for me would be to have a world map with caves on it like EO4, but with the entire labyrinth separate from it like in EO3.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 pm

I didn't really like how the world exploration felt like it was irrelevant in EO3. I like EO4 much better in that regard, where it feels like you're actually accomplishing something with your exploration. And unlike EO1 and 2's monolithic labyrinths, you can actually see your progress. I felt rather (spoiler for fourth land and beyond) .

As for importing data from earlier games, well, there is that hint at things to come by EO4 having functionality to export data. Importing from the first games.. nah, that's not going to happen. Not until Atlus decide to remake these games a decade from now.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:52 pm

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:13 am

Huh, I was thinking of starting a topic with pretty much this exact premise, but wasn't sure where to post it. But thankfully, it seems it was already made!

Before I get into my two cents, I'd like to mention I thought of the importing thing too. I mean, since 3DS uses SD cards for memory, essentially it'd be possible. Download some program (or install it from an EO5 cart) that would allow you to insert your old EO games and save parts of their data to the SD card. Then, EO5 could easily interact with that program to read the data and figure everything out.

Am I saying they would do this? Absolutely not; I have no expectation they would be allowed to. I'm sure there would be some sort of technical limitation or some issue with Nintendo's higher ups that would prevent them from doing so. But, hey, a man can dream...

But yes, my idea was essentially the same as Dangerus' about classes. I'd like a game with ALL the classes from ALL the previous games. Sure, it'd be redundant, what with 4 different tanks, but they could all be a spin on the same role. EG, one would be able to restore health to itself, one would be able to mitigate damage better, another would get improved Anti-element skills, etc. Hexer would be better at single target afflictions, or have some additional effects against afflicted targets (like her Evil Eye command skills), while Arcanist could affect groups of enemies. Troubadour would have good party-wide buffs, Dancer would be more focused on her line, and Prince/ss would be able to affect either at her choosing. The possibilities for fun are endless, and that's before throwing subclassing into the mix...

It would work great with the importing idea. Basically the greatest guilds from all these unrelated towns hear about this SUPER LABYRINTH that appeared out of nowhere, and towns are sending the best-of-the-best to take it on. You'd get to see some characters from the previous games and see how they're doing. Granted, it could easily go wrong, by trying to incorporate too much into one game. And it may rely too heavily on nostalgia factor for veterans, thus alienating a newer, wider audience (which seems contradictory to what they've been trying to do for the last two games). But, I think there would be potential. After the improvements they made in EO4, I'd love to see them applied to my favorite parts of the previous games.

Oh, another idea that's kind of minor but I feel is worth mentioning. Classes from each generation could get a small, shared bonus that represents their history. Like, all EO3 classes get a small (somewhere between 3 and 10%) resistance to confusion, since they essentially fought and therefore have seen the worst insanity has to offer. ...I really don't know what bonuses would go to the other games' classes, but you get my point. It'd be neat!
EO1: P R | A H M
EO2: P R | G H M
EO3: H/N Y/B S/B | Z/A P/M
EO4: I/F I/N I/R | S/N A/M

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Last edited by Justanothernerd on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grey medic is best medic.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:31 pm

30 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”