Character Naming

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Ashes
Ragelope

Re: Character Naming

Postby Ashes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 pm

I usually look at the portrait I'm going to use and go "You look like a ____ to me. There's your name!"
That, or I pick a name I like and stick it on an appropriate-seeming portrait.

My EO4 party's names:
- Ricotta- 2nd female Fortress (subconsciously named after Ricotta from Dog Days?)
- Astrella- 2nd female Landsknecht
- Miel- 2nd female Dancer (because I really love that word)
- Tsunako- 1st female Sniper (name inspired by the artist for the Neptunia games; I wanted her to have "Tsun-" in her name)
- Luka- 2nd female Runemaster

Other guild members:
- Hakurei- bunny-Bushi (sort of named after Hakurei Reimu, but unrelated character-wise)
- Lucia- 2nd female Nightseeker
- Kotori- 1st female Medic (from the book "Li'l Bird Li'l Bird Colourful Colours" in Black Rock Shooter)
- Arcel- 2nd female Imperial
(I have another Imperial, but I can't remember her name...)

They're all the 1P colours since I didn't find many of the alt. palettes as fitting.

Ex-Lurker
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ex-Lurker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:44 am

Double post.

... 's a... 's a Little ackward... ( :? siiiigh)
Last edited by Ex-Lurker on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ex-Lurker
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ex-Lurker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 am

I always come up with a theme and then name all of my characters something around that.

For EOIV I have a ship named SuperEgo. My characters are

Prides.
Female Fortress (ortrait 2, Color 2):
Pride Protects you, mentally anyway.

Sins.
Male Nightseeker (2,2) :
Sins and regrets are venomous and painful.

Wonders.
Female Runemaster (1,1):
The wonders and works you can do are very powerful.

Visions.
Male Medic (1,1):
Visions and dreams keep you moving forward.

Truths.
Female Sniper (1,1):
Truths are strong and piercing

In Etrian Odyssey 3 my Guild name was Lifetree (or someting) and I had characters named after strange fruits.
I think in Etrian Odyssey 5 I'll name my characters after types of pain. What a squeamish party to look at.

I actually used normal names once, for my second party in Etrian Odyssey 1. I was mega confused by them! I stop playing for periods of time and then come back, so I couldn't remember who was what! I have to have something linking the name and class.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 am

That Guy
Ragelope

Postby That Guy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Hahaha, character names, yeah, I always take a while with those. Generally Gibberish that sounds cool to me and then media references (mostly anime/manga/visual novels) when I get tired of thinking of Gibberish. (Yes, Gibberish is the name of a language, the language that goes on in my brain most of the time :P)

Easy one is though is the name Vinci. Its been my game name for years now (bastardization of veni, vidi, vici) He was my Landsknecht in EO 1&2, took up Shogun in EO3, and is back to being my LS in EO4 now.

Beatrice is what I named my Runemaster (1st female portrait, normal ver.). I saw that pic and was instantly reminded of Claire/Yasu from Umineko, decided there could be no other more appropriate name than one stemming from that.

Talia is loosely based on the name of my tank (Dalia) for the past few games. Gonna try evasion/avoidance tank with Dancer/Fortress, having more buff focus and multi-hit aa's for my LS chases.

Lain is the name of my medic. Picked it in part because I like how it sounds. The other reason I named her that is I'm planning to retire her to arcanist main medic sub and arcanists are great at messing with peoples' heads, as is Serial Experiments Lain.

Final one, Myari, my sniper, was purely made up and I liked the sound of it. Nothing special here. (Though it was my goal to not end with an -a or -ia considering like 90% of the female names I think of end with it.)

I spend way too much time on names though lol.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:08 am

Wow, you guys are so creative! I think in the future I'll borrow some of those techniques. I usually just start by picking the portrait and then staring at the picture until something pops into my head. Sometimes I'll think of something and do a quick Google search to make sure it doesn't mean something silly in another language. Sometimes I'll be reminded of a character from a book and go from there, and sometimes I'll start coming up with a storyline between characters and it will help me find a name that seems to fit...

Just started up EO IV and right now I've got, as always, the Lotus guild, comprised of:

EDIT:
After playing for a while I decided to change things up, so here's my guild from now on:

Now I just have to worry about the best combination of classes! Easy peasey, right?!
O_O;;;

No, I still don't like the alt colors all that much. < <;;;
Last edited by Trifkin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am

My Etrian Odyssey team was a mix of characters that instantly somehow reminded me of something iv already seen and the other half being characters that I kind of named by their classes, because they didn't have anything that gave me these "ah, its THAT character" moment, it helped me to remember the class of those characters. :p

(I copied this from my older post)

front: protti(p) | akiha(dh,whips)
back: alkki(a) | waha(ba) | MEDIC!!(try guessing?)

Protti(Protector/Paladin) and Alkki(Alchemist) are good examples of these "class" names. I also had Ronin named Ronni.

In Etrian Odyssey II

I had totally different mindset for names, I was more confident in remembering character classes so I try to be "original" this time with names. Well... with most of them at least...
These names tempt to be bit Finnish like but with a little touch from Japan

Etrian Odyssey II
GAOO~ - lvl70 Beast class (BEAR)
Yissa - lvl 58 Paladin female 1 model
Ronni - lvl 70 Ronin female 1 model (Ronni returns!)
Keira - lvl 68 Troubadour female 1 model (In etrian odyssey troubadours classes were called "Bards"
Whippy - lvl Dark Hunter 70 female 2 model (return of EO kind of name)
RIKARDO lvl 70 Landsknetch guy (using the first male model)
Sheis - 70lvl War mage male model
Ayu - 71lvl Gunner girl model
Reiya - 71lvl hexer
Suisho - 68lvl Survivalist

Etrian Odyssey III was the first game where I had almost full set of "original" names.

Heri - 76lvl female wildling
Mysc - 71lvl male monk
Multi - 70lvl female yggdroid
Skaah - 57lvl female gladiator
Lirc - 71lvl female Buccaneer
Yukki - 57lvl female ninja
Xec - 77lvl female Arbalist
Giyu - 48lvl female Shogun
Paoi - 28lvl female Zodiac
Meiya - 71lvl Princess
Quirr - 70lvl female farmer
Yappi 71lvl female hoplite

I dont have EO IV just yet, so I cant post anything for that yet. :)

Mole-chan I....

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:38 pm

I always just take names that I think would fit the characters, the games, and sometimes, if a person is really important to me, they get a character named after them as well.

Currently in EOIV my both teams are:
Tyra - named after the female Protector of EO1 from a german EO1 LP - I/RM
Than Rhai - Just a fancy name - RM/I
Shimaru - all the Bs have japanese sounding names, right? - B/F
Aless - named after a close friend - S/A
Yggsalm - he looks leaf-ish, and Yggdrasil is a tree - A/M

and my NG+ team
Hilda - I always liked that name - L
Sharth - sounds nifty - N
Dan - that sadistic looking male portrait... - F
Carlos - he looks like one - S
Yuna - just sounds nice - M
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Yoona isn't nice at all, don't let her name fool you.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I generally stick with one party until I'm done with the game. Not often do I make new names for my characters. I like to write and draw, so I have characters I've created. I put the names of those characters into the game, based on which class suits them best.
In EOIV I have Lika, Kiptcha, Nazgul (this one was on a whim, actually), Stella, Aquiss, and as a backup, Willow.
Sometimes I add a 'Ghost' or 'Lyca' to my line up xD.
You people have such creative names ;^; they're awesome.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:09 pm

I draw and do the same thing. It's too bad EOIV didn't have many people that resembled my normal characters, I think it's a big reason I didn't play it much.

-PLA

Rothene
Fenrir

Postby Rothene » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Heh, due to my old hobby of writing incomplete fantasy stories, I possess a large pool of stock names that associate with specific classes to choose from.

Among my favourites are stuff like Mireille for tanky females, Henek for male warrior types(Read landsknecht and Gladiators), Rayn/Xavious/Naklock for spellcasters, Khaiser for male brutes/tanks, Benjien for archer types.

Although the current group in EOIV I'm running with are named after people I know on other forums, so that I can occasionally tell them how well they've performed. Helps that since it's based off people I know, I have less trouble trying to imagine their personalities. XD

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 am

Necroed because I am in the mood for an EO game and restarted IV even though I wasn't far. My guild is YJ (Young Justice), my ship is the Bio-Ship, and my characters are lookalikes of most of the core YJ team from the tv show (as opposed to the comics). I like the theme.

Also, I just realized I don't know where punctuation shit goes with brackets or whatever.

-PLA

28 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”