3DS or 3DS XL?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 3DS or 3DS XL?

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Looks like shit how? All I see is just the same as what it would look like on a regular DSi. the only thing bad is perhaps the photo quality.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:34 pm

It's a picture of what you see if you look at the screen. The quality of the picture isn't the issue, it's what the DSiXL does to the game. And don't tell me this wouldn't look any better on a normal DS, because it definitely should.

Just out of curiosity and a little off topic, but can you watch 480p without lamenting how bad the quality is?

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:35 pm

A DSiXL doesn't "do" anything to the game. It displays it exactly the same as any other DSi or DS. Only the screen/pixels are larger. The number of pixels is the same.
It's like looking at the same image from a little closer up. It doesn't become blurry then, does it?

If you still think there's a difference, go to your local electronics store and have them show you the same game on a 3DS and a 3DS XL.
Kimiko

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Obviously it does something to the game. I already had the chance to compare DS with DSiXL and DSiXL looks worse. Seems like the 3DS XL suffers the same fate, regardless of how you try to explain the issue away.

It's like telling people how they aren't allowed to hear the difference between mp3 and lossless flac, even though they clearly hear the difference.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm

??? My question is: what's the argument here?

You seem so dead set against the system that the whole topic seems kinda moot. I think from your already-biased perspective, if you saw the two images together as you want, you will detect a hint of bluriness and whether or not it's really "bad" you'll immediately be like "nope, I'm done."

^_^; Not that that's a problem. I have similar, albeit not as passionate, feelings.

If you are really this desperate to know the answer to your question: just go to your local gamestop or electronics store (as someone already suggested). Take a game like EOIV and ask them to let you pop it into both systems. I'm sure they would be more than happy to oblige you and then you could get a real life scenario and get a real feel for the two systems. It would be much better than asking people to attempt to take good photos when they aren't as dedicated as you or do not have the photo quality capabilities you are searching for that would give you an accurate interpretation.

Also: I do not think that it is something they are attempting to explain away. Quite a few people generally can NOT detect the photo qualities down to the scale that you and I are looking at. The slight bluriness or other weird abnormalities just aren't a problem so their eyes do not detect it.

It's all about individual perspective.

It's like sitting you down at a table of wine glasses and asking you to detect a difference in quality between 50 unmarked different wines. Certain people can do it. Others: box wine tastes just as good as top-shelf.

[] - [] - [] - []

ProfAllister
Ragelope

Postby ProfAllister » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 am

Okay, easy way to solve this. I have a 3DS and an XL (don't judge me).

I took a few pictures with my phone of the same scenes. I apologize for the crappy cameraphone quality.

Keep in mind, the framing choices and such make this kind of trivial, since I wanted you to be able to actually see what's displayed on the 3DS. Top 4 are 3DSXL, bottom 4 are 3DS.

http://imgur.com/a/RAetG

It could just be that I'm used to the pixelated look. Even on the 3DS, I've trained my eye to spot the individual pixels and everything, so it all looks pixelated to me.

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 am

Attachments
Untitled.png
from EO3 SpriteCollection
Untitled.png (13.12 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 am

I have had no issues playing EO1 and EO2 on my 3DSXL, and EO4 is a blast on it. Give me a sec and I can post some pictures.

I think it looks great! I played the entirety of EO2 on it and it was great fun. Maybe its a personal preference thing, if its going to bug you then just get the normal sized one.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am

Kimiko

ProfAllister
Ragelope

Postby ProfAllister » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 am

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 am

Why would the 3DS look worse than the 3DS XL.. this is trickier than I thought.

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the thorough and easy to understand explanation.

doctor_roxo
Ragelope

Postby doctor_roxo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em!

31 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”