3DS or 3DS XL?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Shousa
Fenrir

3DS or 3DS XL?

Postby Shousa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am

Whoever played one of the first three games on their DSiXL knows about the issue. Everything's just upscaled and looks really bad. So I'm wondering if this time the developers anticipated that Nintendo would release a version with bigger screens and made the game in a way, that wouldn't make it look worse on the 3DS XL.

This question was also asked on , but people over there didn't answer this yes-no question with a simple yes or no, which leaves me wondering if the developers made the same mistake again or not.

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

ProfAllister
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 3DS or 3DS XL?

Postby ProfAllister » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Well, I've spent significant time in the pixel art scene, so I'm not sure if that makes me an authority on the subject or disqualifies me...

I wasn't bothered by the upscaling in any of the EO games. Obviously, you're going to see increased pixelation, but there's not really any good way to avoid that. if everything's upscaled proportionally, I'd only say it looks bad if it emphasises errors in the spritework. Since the EO spritework is quite clean and polished, I never had an issue with that. Sure, you're getting some jaggies more visible from the increased pixelation, but that's the sort of thing that can only really be smoothed out by expert (hand-)antialiasing.

On the other hand, I notice jaggies and pixelation in games like Skyrim, so I'm used to it. YMMV.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Is this a roundabout "Yes, EOIV suffers the same fate."?
Either they fixed the issue by being prepared and having made everything for the bigger screen or they haven't. It's not about being bothered by it or not, I just want to know.

Was the game made so that everything needs to be upscaled for the XL or was it made so that everything needs to be downscaled for the normal one. I don't really care either way, but a clear answer on the matter will help me choose which 3DS I'll have to buy.

ProfAllister
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ProfAllister » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

I... don't think you understand.

The 3DS doesn't have more pixels than the 3DS; it has larger pixels than the 3DS.

Technically speaking, there is no "upscaling" or "downscaling." Those are terms used with regard to stretching, skewing, and antialiasing between different resolutions. The resolution does not change between the 3DS and the 3DSXL. It's (kind of) like playing a console game on a larger TV - the resolution's the same, but the picture's bigger, so the pixels are bigger in turn.

TL;DR - The solution you want didn't happen, won't happen, and can't happen. If the display on the XL bothers you, it's not going to change, no matter how many new games come out.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 am

^ I think he wants to know which size(s) the developers were peeking at during development.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 am

Was this the case with DS and DSi XL as well?
Because playing console games on a larger screen doesn't make the games look bad.
But playing DS games on a DSi XL does make the games look really, really bad.

I just want to know if EOIV looks as horrible on a 3DS XL as its predecessors looked on the DSi XL.

ProfAllister
Ragelope

Postby ProfAllister » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 am

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:43 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Yeah I've noticed pixelation problems in all of the larger versions of the multiple systems. This is why I've steered clear of them. I don't know about this game per se, but I can safely assume: yes, yes there are problems.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Shousa - That larger picture looks blurred, not pixely. On a 3DS XL, the pixels look larger, not blurry.

You only get blurry-looking images if you let it upscale DS/DSi games, which have a lower native resolution, to 3DS resolution. But this happens on both a regular 3DS and a 3DS XL, and is easily turned off.

← has a 3DS XL
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Perhaps you can take a snapshot of the game on your 3DS XL, so I can see what's the difference between larger pixels and the blurry screenshot I found via youtube?

The blurry looking picture in question is EOIV on a 3DS XL, recorded via a webcam, I assume.

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:59 pm

(EO sprite templates )

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Or,... to take a picture of both EOIV on 3DS and on 3DS XL.

doctor_roxo
Ragelope

Postby doctor_roxo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

i have a XL and the game is gorgeous. i don't have a reg. 3ds to compare it to but the game looks great to me.
Lookin' 4 Indie Bundles? We track 'em!

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Care to prove your statement by posting pictures?

Here you can see the second Ookami to Koushinryou game on DSiXL and a picture of a glitch from the first Etrian game for DSiXL. As you can see.... looks like shit.

31 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”