Picking out weapons and equipment.

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Himekaidou
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Picking out weapons and equipment.

Postby Himekaidou » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:15 pm

I had a few questions about equipment and stats that seemed to be relatively obscure (at least for a new-ish player to the series).

I'm in the postgame, and I've taken down the optional bosses a few times, so I'm basically perfecting my bosskiller party. I've just realized that I don't actually know the difference between some stuff:

Is there any reason to use a staff over a dagger for a caster class in the endgame? All the Yggdrasil weapons have 8 forge slots, and the daggers are faster. Do staves have builtin damage bonuses or anything?

How does +TEC/+STR differ from +ELM/+ATK? I assume that if your TEC is already at 99 +ELM should always be better, damage wise, but what about before that? (For instance, is it better for me to use the Tharsis accessories or to use the 8-ELM accessory)?

I'm also not sure what to slot into the last equipment slot each character has. Currently, I have the Talaria in there, since some extra speed from the boots and some HP/LUK can't hurt, but are there some useful items that aren't particularly obvious?

emailboxu
Fenrir

Re: Picking out weapons and equipment.

Postby emailboxu » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Staffs have bash damage, daggers have stab. Irrelevant to casters from what I know. I use a dagger on my Arcanist, as they're faster. My RM uses a Driveblade (sub Imperial) because I haven't had the time to get off my ass and make another weapon with 8 +ELE forges. She's just using my Imperial's old 6 ELE slot DB instead.

+ATK and +ELE are better than TEC/STR as a general rule. TEC and STR are easy to max out, and the benefits at higher levels is relatively miniscule. Plus you can't go over 99 (and it's likely you'll hit 99 before then).

I'm also using the Talaria for people who aren't using a secondary equip, and the HP is worth it IMO. Pushes my level-99-Retired level 99 Runemaster just above 400 HP which is good for most bosses.

Himekaidou
Ragelope

Postby Himekaidou » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:59 pm

I guess that means that the Tharsis items are pretty strictly inferior to the 8+ATK or 8+ELM accessories for damage dealers; and that if HP isn't a concern, grabbing a second weapon with 8 damage forges as appropriate is more advisable?

This makes things easier, then, I can leave the +stat stuff to max out my Arcanist's LUK and TEC, or whatever.

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 am

STR/TEC add 1 stats to the respective stats. Basically you can completely ignore STR once your character has reached a certain level (The benefit from STR is subject to diminishing returns; in the end game physical damage dealers pretty much max their STR already and the game consider up to 99 for every stats if I am not misled)

ATK and ELE forges add 3% damage per slot to the respective skills. That means if you have a Bushi with 26 ATK forges (8 each from each weapon, and 8 more from accessory and 2 from class armor), his damage modifier would be 178%. So yes, theoretically having two Yggdrasil weapons might be overpower, but like someone said, farming the same boss 16 times kill my soul.

P.S. Imperial's elemental drives consider both ATK and ELE forges, and having the same number of ATK and ELE forges will maximize their damage outcomes.
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Himekaidou
Ragelope

Postby Himekaidou » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:41 pm

When determining action order, only the weapon actually used in the skill you're currently using affects your speed; and if the skill doesn't use a weapon (spells?) then your mainhand weapon is the main determinant? Or does the offhand factor into it as well? (So if I have a dagger mainhanded for speed reasons, does it matter what the off-weapon is?)

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 am

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”