Complaints about classes

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Complaints about classes

Postby Dangerus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Never done that for my Medic... Then again, he was assisted by a Waltzing Dancer. Maybe it is just your setup.

Funny. I actually like the Fortress' design more. The design was one reason I did not like the Hoplite. I tend to enjoy subclassing Hoplite though as specking is made easier. But looking back, I don't really like the Fortress' build. I remember the many times she kept dying shielding everyone. I found that disappointing when even my Wildling/Hoplite never done that. I mean c'mon!

As for the Medic...

Doktor_Q
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:01 am

Fortresses can be used on the back line with exactly one loss, their class skill, and their attack skill tree is pretty interesting this time. There's also a lot of different ways to achieve your defense.

Landknecht end up being the second-tankiest class you're likely to have after a bit, but yeah, early on they die a lot. Fits with the rushing-ahead thing I guess.

I have no counters on medic. Medic is the most annoyingly necessary and restrictive class out there, and fuck their TP reserves with a lynx.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 am

On my most recent game:

I used D/N/M/S/R early game. The spice of being able to use whatever you need is great.

Also, there's patch up, you know, in case you forget why its there. Patch up in the first two games was detrimental to go for early, in the third game we got Monarch March, and in this game patch up is just awesome. The Monarch March clone isn't even really necessary due to the lack of pain floors during the main game. I never really had a TP issue with my medic... like, ever. Usually if I'm sent back early for low TP its from the Runemaster, and that TP usually last quite a while.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:51 am

I used royals instead, but when I did use a Monk, I bought exactly enough Blood Return and Revive to make raising my allies a negative TP investment.

That was the BEST thing about monks.

Also- Bracing Walk is, when mastered, objectively better than Patch up in every way except for being attached to another class that eats skill points.

No real reason you can't have both, though.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:59 am

Seriously? I took Patch Up first, since there's nothing but random encounters early on. 's only eight levels, and you won't really need Line Heal for the first area.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 am

Patch up is handy for basically everything but FOE and boss fights. I'd do a Patch Up/Healing only character, except by the time that made sense I already had too many opponents hitting lines/everyone, or throwing out statuses I didn't want to hold onto the whole fight.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

You don't need a Medic. For the first two strata, the Dancer's Regen Waltz is strong enough to keep the party alive. For the rest, the Arcanist's Dismiss Heal and Circle Boon replaces them. Hell, in post-game Dismiss Heal will likely be your main healing skill anyway. if you're like me, and make the Arcanist be the main healbot.

As for the Fortress, I personally think they're a lot better than their counterparts in the previous games. They can literally prevent damage outright with the right setup and Party Shield. In early parts of the game though (Before level 20+) they're not very useful. The most I could get out of her was Ally Shield and Taunt.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

The only class I really take issue with in the long run is Sniper, I guess. I mean I loved my Sniper by endgame - Squall Volley + Follow Trace could potentially proc every single one of my Landsknecht's links by itself, and Silver Arrow was a godsend for the final stratum. But the actual damage capability was just nonexistant compared to everyone in my party (Even my Medic, via Runes, arguably added more damage to the party), and it's not necessarily any better with a focus on binding too which I feel the Arcanist just does better anyway, so... it's like a class that does two things pretty subpar and doesn't really make up for it with any sort of speciality, I guess.

(EO sprite templates )

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Well, yeah of course you don't need a medic. If you sub everyone into Bushi/Fortress combos, slash have enough Burst-filling/Burst Saver to toss around Calm Breath all the time, you can totally get by without a medic.

Also, I somehow can't bring myself to make an Arcanist just for healing. It feels weird.

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Honestly, regen waltz + occasional healing step was enough for my party
the fortress soaked up enough damage so that the only party member dying was him on occasion.
Just subbed medic onto my dancer for auto/revive and immediate status healing
@sniper
my sniper probably saved me during most boss fights. Binds + squall shot + links ended most boss fights easily

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 pm

emailboxu
Fenrir

Postby emailboxu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 am

I felt Medic was overkill during the storymode and post-game, but at the same time a sub-medic was pretty much useless. I ended up subbing my Fort with Medic as well as my Arcanist and it worked out pretty well. Having two units with Auto-Heal/Revive almost makes up for the lack of a dedicated medic, and the Arcanist is decent (not great, but decent) at keeping the party HP up. Most of the time though, I'm party shielding on my Fort so it's not really an issue to begin with.

I'll agree that Party Shielding isn't as effective early on in the storyline, but end-game a well-geared Fort can pretty much take everything.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 am

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

46 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”