Should I retire my team?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

halifix
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Should I retire my team?

Postby halifix » Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 pm

That's not mathematics; value is all relative. Everything's based on mathematics if you use that argument. In your case, you seem to value time and having multiple simultaneous options greatly, while devaluing numerical advantages.

Bottom line is retire characters if you want to... if I personally was restricted by "efficiency" that wasn't self-imposed, I'd lose quite a lot of interest. The option is there, but you don't have to use it. To me, an EO without retiring just lost most of its replay value.

SAL
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SAL » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes, if you like to spend more time on something than is necessary, than retiring is for you. I think that's a personal preference and a good reason to make use of that function.

My "bias" that it is not necessary to retire to accomplish the goal of the game in a shorter amount of time is based on mathematics. Retiring isn't something players need to do. That's the whole point of my posts.

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 am

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Thu May 30, 2013 4:00 am

^That's really a better answer. Mathematically, there is time on one side and party power (SP and extra status) on the other side, which they are measured totally unrelated units. Therefore, when one side goes up and the other side goes down, I don't think you can proof whether this is "mathematically" better.

IRRC, I think Shousa hadn't received the game yet (in a rather old post)? In EO4, there is a certain exploit that can help you levelling (which makes the OP's story characters 60-year-old or so XD). Even if you don't like this kind of exploiting, grinding in this game is still relatively easy in the series (with the fact that at least FOEs yield experience).

In fact, this is the first EO I have retired my whole team at Lv99, and the sub-maximum class status (books are worse than levelling = =) and maximum SP gives me a greater satisfaction that I am more completed in building characters of the 5 chosen classes. It's not necessary about mathematics; rather, some minimalist would like to finish the game with least money/experience gain, so it's a totally personal choice. So, retire if you want to, or just recruit another character and do the same (since the game only got 10 classes, I would say up to 10 members of classes you are interested would be ok). Since levelling isn't much a concern, it's which method you enjoy most that matters.
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Thu May 30, 2013 7:02 am

You could just use QR guests (they don't add to EXP), and travel around land 2-4 after eating either Rare Breed or EXP food. Dream Eaters respawn every day or so (feed them golden stinkhorns), and Icy pincers 3 days (give them happiness hares). And maybe the bonus bosses.
When you're alone, always remember:

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 am

I actually preordered the game and got it back in April, it's the 3DS that I am still missing.

@Snowdome: What does IRRC stand for?

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 am

IIRC?

It means "If I recall correctly".

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Okay. I finally retired (most) of my old team. Most of their skills are in their main class which is fine, but I bet in time, my magical vampires in ghost story town (Snowdome, you're so mean!!).

I tried to get Legaia Ikezawa (my sweet older brother) to try and play my team and see how an Imperial works seeing they are rather unique and I really want him to see how they do as well. He may not help but... At least I try.

Also, if I recollect correctly, playing the game in Casual Mode actually helps my team grind faster. It takes patience for me, but I noticed it shows by a lot. can lead the way.

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 pm

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri May 31, 2013 3:14 am

Can someone tell me how to catch Pooka? Any guides and what not? A similar thing would be needed for Pasaran in EO3. These guys are some of the things not getting me to 100%.

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Fri May 31, 2013 3:20 am

Eh I think they spawn every 500 steps or so, and sometimes pop up while resting in the inn.

They have a predetermined path, so looking on your map, you can just go to the nearest pole/labyrinth/cave and intercept them.

Having the airship item that lets you move two tiles really helps.
When you're alone, always remember:

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 am

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Fri May 31, 2013 4:11 am

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

42 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”