Should I retire my team?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Should I retire my team?

Postby Dangerus » Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 pm

I really don't want to because is in my main party now. He replaced my Fortress/Nightseeker.

My Party so far:
Venusis - Dancer/Imperial
Nausicaa - Nightseeker/Bushi
Yukon/ - Imperial/Runemaster
Hermie - Medic/Arcanist (or) Garion - Landksnect/Bushi
Senorita - Dancer/Medic (or) Vivi/ - Arcanist/Runemaster

When I first defeated :
Garion - Landksnect/Bushi
Nausicaa - Nightseeker/Bushi
Venusis - Dancer/Imperial
Yukon/ - Imperial/Runemaster
Senorita - Dancer/Medic

If you want skills for each one, tell me. I'm leaning more towards not retiring my team, but if you guys can persuade me to do it...

SAL
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Should I retire my team?

Postby SAL » Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm

You don't have to retire Logre if you retire the rest of your team, you know. You retire each character individually.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 am

Hmm... Now that I think about it, that could start up a good fan fiction...

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

When it comes to your normal characters (ie. not NPCs like Logre), don't think of retiring as getting rid of that character. I, and probably most people, just remake the exact same character in their spot when retiring. This basically just creates a stronger version of that same character, rather than a different one with a completely new identity (though you are free to do that too if you wanted to).

Just save your game and then go try it out. It's not really as complicated as you might think.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Tue May 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Was there ever any real benefit in retiring in any EO (answer: no, there wasn't) and how is EOIV different to even think about retiring?

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 am

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Wed May 29, 2013 2:11 am

I don't know, I felt rather strapped for points pre-retire, but even a few more let me add more to vital skills more easily.

But retiring isn't incredibly super duper important, maybe go for it at 70 or 99.
When you're alone, always remember:

halifix
Fenrir

Postby halifix » Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 am

Retiring has always been good if you messed up your build. It's just that in EO4, resting is a less painful alternative, and you will likely rest anyways, unless you save points for when you unlock veteran/master tiers. I retire to try out new party formations. (And also to make all the xp amounts line up again :oops: ) Generally, my members keep their names even I change their class.

Skill points probably don't matter as much in EO4, where higher ranks are less effective. The stat points are always good, though.
I'm enjoying my new party, which has ridiculous staying power; due to my conservative nature, I tend to be at ~70-100% tp by the time my inventory fills from 15 emergency items to the 60 cap. However, I miss being able to nuke an enemy row with my runemaster.

I haven't even touched the story characters. Can you retire them and keep their portraits?

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 am

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed May 29, 2013 3:30 am

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed May 29, 2013 9:38 am

If you still lose levels in EOIV after retiring than it's as pointless as it ever was. The extra skillpoints you get for retiring are the skillpoints you would have gotten for the amount of leveling needed to reach your old level, anyway.

Those shiny 10 extra skillpoints for retiring a lv99 character.. are they even needed? Brought up the right way you can trash anyone without retiring and brought up the wrong way, those extra 10 skillpoints won't do much.

PS: What I want to say is roughly: "You should only retire them if you want to, because it's pointless to do it for benefits that ain't even there."

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm

42 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”