It's the little things that count...

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Yggdrago
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

It's the little things that count...

Postby Yggdrago » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 pm

So, after getting tired of constantly getting my pretty butts kicked in one particularly difficult encounter, I decided to stop fighting what should not be fought (for now, at least) and just wander around the older dungeons.

And I gotta say...this trip made me like the game even more than I already do. I mean, sure, it's a bit short, the dungeons feel smaller and all, but...isn't it just really pretty? I'm not too concerned about graphics in my games. As long as it doesn't hurt when you look at it, I like it. But this is just so good!

The previous games looked neat, and i loved the dungeons, but the field of view was always so limited. Now, in EOIV, we get to play with the camera just a little bit, looking at the ground, at the ceiling/sky, looking to the sides. Seeing the enemies actually move in battle, with their idle animations, the way the water looks, FOEs visible on the field, I just love it.

Minor details like these can do a lot for a game, and I didn't pay them too much attention so far. But, as in many other parts in life, it's the little things that count.

Does anybody else have anything to say about this?
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Re: It's the little things that count...

Postby zamisk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Even though a lot of people loved the classic FOE ball, when they are actually chasing you around it adds to the AH SHIT SHIT SHIT moreso than the balls ever could.

I'm not sure how I feel about waiting to see what the new cool FOEs look like, it was always nice to enjoy the new terrifying artwork as a reward for finally being bold enough to face the latest FOE...

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Yggdrago
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Yggdrago » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:39 pm

You know what I'd like? A bigger Monster Compendium, where not only do you get to see what the enemy looks like in battle, but also an artwork of it done by an artist of whatever city it is you live in. Like, make it look like it was drawn onto a canvas by an artist of that city, after having it described to him by other people, without the artist ever seeing it. That could make for some amazingly menacing FOE/boss artworks, and some hilarious/funny artworks for more gimmicky enemies.

And more flavor text about the enemies' behavior, their habitat, what they eat and whatnot. It's nothing the game needs, but it's the little things!

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Let's make our own Etrian Odyssey, with blackjack and hookers and villager renditions of FOEs.

-PLA

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Mole-chan I....

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 am

But we've all seen the FOEs...

-PLA

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:11 am

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Now we just need a young, talented artist who'd be willing to draw pictures of the little rats based on simple descriptions such as...

"They're small and pink, they look kinda cute!" - Young female Medic

"Their eyes and ears are HUGE!" - Young female Runemaster

"When they stand on their hind legs they have an almost humanoid shape and it creeps me out!" - Young male Fortress

Imagine the painting...

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm

"I haven't been to those woods before, so imagine my surprise when I saw those muscles on the rats!" - male lion Bushi

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:07 am

I'll do a couple when I get back monday

-PLA

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Lovely! Let's make this a real thing and sell it on the black market for...like...I dunno, I bet we could at least get enough to buy a pizza.

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

Who doesn't?

"The green Grasshopper goes hop-hop-hop, hop-hop-hop, hop-hop-hop" - a children's song from Tharsis

"They're all jumpy and kicky and weird and stuff..." - young female Dancer

"I've never seen an insect jump so high. They're quite interesting to look at, those Grasshoppers." - young male Arcanist

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

^Michelangelo is my favorite Ninja Turtle.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 am

I work at a pizza place with as much free pizza as I could eat.

I want en.

-PLA

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:24 am

16 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”