Subclassing advice

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
9 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
GM_3826
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Subclassing advice

Postby GM_3826 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:44 pm

So, I am a newbie to this series. I did pick up Etrian Odyssey 3 and am watching a Let's Play of it, but the last time I played the game itself was a long time ago. In fact, I'm pretty sure I quit the game and sold it. Don't remember why.
Somehow, I've managed to come across what seems to be the optimal party for my playstyle and have been having a blast. I just have no idea how to subclass it, in terms of what roles I need or what roles could be fulfilled better.
I'll give the team to you and why I use each party member. Hopefully you'll be able to help me given this information.

Landsknecht: I don't need to go into much detail about WHY I use this class because my reasons for using this class are pretty much the same as everyone else's. The class is a decent damage dealer with all-around good stats and excellent support abilities. This Landscknecht in particular serves as a sort of second tank, using a shield instead of a second sword.

Nightseeker: Originally, I was planning on using a Dancer: However, I hit a bump in the road. Really, any character I use should be ideally capable of taking one hit the majority of the time. Dancers can't really do that, and they're front-line units, so that was even more of a problem. Nightseekers can. Besides that, status effects are amazing in this game and she's a good damage dealer, so that about summarizes why she is useful.

Fortress: Apparently a lot of people don't actually use Fortresses? I don't see why. My playing style, in case you can't tell, is very defensive, so Fortresses are really handy. I'll usually have her defending the Nightseeker. Besides that, there's not really a lot to say.

Sniper: I would use a Runemaster... But I've heard that Runemasters almost always die in one hit, and so I didn't really want to risk it. Snipers technically fulfill the same role as Runemasters (ranged damage dealer); It's their secondary roles that are different. Another reason why I use her is that I'm generally extremely conservative when it comes to TP. Her non-elemental skill is cheap and she's available at the start of the game, so that's a good reason to use her. If I need to, I'll use equipment to cast runes.

Medic: I recognize that the Medic is strictly worse then the Arcanist despite being good in their own right. But I'd gladly use a horrible class if they had regen. That's all there really is to it. I kind of need a healer as well, since the Fortress can only go so far when it comes to soaking up damage. So, of course, I use a Medic.

Myssdii
Fenrir

Re: Subclassing advice

Postby Myssdii » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:50 am

You should go build a Link party, using your Landsknecht Link skills : since you don't use a Runemaster, you'll need these elemental damages beginning the 3rd stratum. Focus on Squall Volley on your Sniper, and Swift Edge on your Nightseeker to activate links.

You seem scared to see your members dying, but since you use a Fortress you should be fine. Focus your other members on hitting hard, the best defense is the offense in EO4.

About subclass, if you go on links, I'll do this :

Landsknecht / Runemaster : take Runic Flare, Runic Guidance, TP Boost and Free Energy to passively boost your damages and help with TP-saving. On your main class, take Improved Link, Vanguard and Link Mastery as soon as possible, and your 3 Link skills (dont max them right now).

Nightseeker / Bushi or Nightseeker Arcanist : the former will deal more damages thanks to the Bushi's passives and Charge, the other one will help to land ailments on the ennemy (if you subclass your Medic as Arcanist, take Bushi)

Fortress / Dancer : grab Fan Dance (do not up Speed Boost, it's buggy with Fan Dance), and that's pretty much it, Fortresses dont need much more to be efficient at their job.

Sniper / Bushi : like your Nightseeker, grab passives and Charge to boost your damages.

Arcanist / Medic or Medic / Runemaster : I really recommend to switch to Arcanist / Medic, instead of Medic / Arcanist, they are better support with Circles that will land ailments for your Nightseeker. If you want to stick to Medic, prefer Runemaster for TP-saving with Free Energy so you don't run out.
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

GM_3826
Ragelope

Postby GM_3826 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:11 pm

GM_3826
Ragelope

Postby GM_3826 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Glad to hear more sides to the issue. As stated, I'll gladly switch to the Arcanist. You can't argue with that math, but I think I'll subclass my Landsknecht as Runemaster. Binds seem like a really good thing to have even if Runemasters are useful, and so I think the role takes a bit of priority.
A quick note though, when Myss said "If you subclass your Medic as Arcanist", I read it as a typo. I assumed she meant that you didn't really need to have your Nightseeker subbed as an Arcanist if you're already using one, since they'll probably be more effective at the job. I could be wrong, and Myss could be wrong, so if you have anything more to say about that, say it.

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:13 am

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 am

Oh ! I didn't know that binding the head would raise magic damages dealt to the binded target. Still learning mechanics even though I finished this game a long time ago :)

(Since I got you here, I've always wondered : where did you find these cute pixel sprites of EO characters ? Did you make them yourself ? ^^)

Current runs:

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 am

9 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”