EO Untold Rantage!

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

704 posts
Garlyle
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EO Untold Rantage!

Postby Garlyle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 pm

(EO sprite templates )

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 pm

I remember the hardest part about EO1 being the difficulty spikes whenever you reached the second stratum and stuff like that. But that was about it. I went through the first game knowing absolutely nothing about good character builds (i.e., I didn't realize Immunize was a thing) and other than the difficulty spikes, I don't remember the game being all that hard. It only got easier whenever I replayed it because once you know about Immunize you can never go back. The post game is also reaaally easy if only because of Immunize. Bonus points if you have Relaxing.

EO2 was a lot harder for me when I played it the first time, but that's mostly because the game's strategy for success placed way more emphasis on offense than the first one and my party kind of sucked in that regard. But at the same time I'm pretty sure EO2 has the worst balance in the entire series. A D/W/R/G/H party is all you need for everything in the game. The last time I played through the game like that I basically spent the later levels just spamming Torpor to neutralize the enemies for a turn, which was usually enough time to kill most of them. Climax basically trivialized every FOE fight ever. I remember I never had to go back to town because of low TP, but because my inventory would always fill up early. Force skills made everything easy to cheese, too.

I remember EO3 being super fun. I would definitely agree that its difficulty is the best in the entire series. It's probably the one game that's reasonably difficult no matter what your party is. There's still some imbalance (like the shogun/pirate thing), but I have the fondest memories of it. But maybe that's just because I only really played through the entire game once. When I played it again over the summer I was pretty shocked at how easy the first two bosses were. Though I was using a Princess as a healer for whatever that's worth. And EO4 was pretty easy, but it did definitely get harder toward the end and the monster design definitely improved. It probably didn't help that I decided to build my party around Linking, which turned out to be effective against basically everything in the game, especially the post game bosses. I thought the third stratum was disproportionately easy, though. I mean dear lord was that lame.

Anyway, EOU Expert isn't that bad right now, right now being in the middle of the second stratum. I'm in that awkward spot where I've put enough points into the characters so that they're actually effective in what they do (Raquna can take more hits and damage is increased all around), but it's still pretty early in the game so it's not too too hard. All the bosses so far have been super tense fights, though. The entire first stratum actually was pretty difficult. I don't remember having to spam Front Guard in almost every single battle in the original game.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is that the first two games in the series could be more difficult, but only because of some noticeable power imbalances. With the right party, the first two games are the easiest in the series. Like, as easy as the first stratum of EO4. Of course, the other games make it possible to just BS your way through, but not to the extreme degree as the first two. It's hard to tell how much of the first two games' difficulty came from difficulty spikes (which weren't fun imo) and imbalanced classes, and how much actually came from the level and monster design.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm

halifix
Fenrir

Postby halifix » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 am

Well, I'm annoyed. I registered my product on the day with Club Nintendo I got it, but the survey wasn't up for some reason. I check again today, and it's expired.

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 am

I think binding should take precedence since Arthur can totally spread his skill points around all of his elements and still be very powerful. Plus, as I found out in EO2, the elemental shots take up a lot more TP percentage than a fire spell for what might not even be more damage. It should just be there as a backup, in my opinion.

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

[quote="Maxine MagicFox"][/quote]

Sorry yo. It's just that like you said we all have different opinions and along those sam lines our priorities are different.

I kinda think our complaints aren't too serious but that's just me. I find the speed thing dumb, but at the same time, even though it can literally []fuck you up the ass[] I'm glad it's there, makes the game more interesting.

And the are a pain to get, but I like the hunting aspect of it.

If we could get the next game with 4's skill system(possibly w/o that level thing) and the difficulty of this game that would be pretty sweet.

And a long sixth stratum that incorporates other bonus bosses into it and gives that atmosphere like 4 did.

Also on the hero w/e that skill is that says it recovers party hp actually recovers tp when you use skill that take their hp.

As for foe's i never really minded them outside of the first few floors of 3. Otherwise I found a way to kill them even if I'd have to go rest after. Only thing was that 1 made me feel like there was no real reward for it. Rare drops sure but...no exp...

Also binds and ailments are now tec based for some reason. Gamefaqs yo.
And now I can't find the topic. And I need to stop editing this post.
Last edited by lulzace on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:29 am

Probably due to my party layout (No Protector) but Giraffa Beetles have become my 2nd least favorite 1st strata enemy (Evil Eyes in EO2 will always be the worst)... especially when they come in twos. I swear, its always the one I don't bind with Gag that ends up using Strike Up on the first turn... buhhh. Doesn't help that Quick Step isn't gotten until AGI Up is maxed... so I can't just use Quick Step + Torpor Curse to make them much simpler =(

Anyway, nearly up to Fenrir. I wonder if he's still the easiest boss in the entire series >_>

704 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”