Story v Classic Advice

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

toonfandub
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Story v Classic Advice

Postby toonfandub » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Howdy everyone!! I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster, so if this is out of line, please let me know!! Anywho, I came here to get some advice from the pros.

I'm stoked to get EO Untold in a couple of weeks, but I can't decide which mode to start with! I've been playing the demo, and so far I like the voices (for the most part), the interactions amongst the group, and the execution of the story.

However, I'm finding it hard to do typical EO things, like grinding and making maps! And all those character interactions makes me miss coming up with my own characters and their interactions classic style.

I had decided to do a Classic mode run through on Expert to scratch my EO itch, then come back around and play story mode on Picnic using New Game+. I realize there is more content in Story mode, but I'm afraid doing a full-on Story mode play-through will burn me out before getting back to Classic mode. That, and the story and extra content is a better carrot-on-a-stick to keep me playing.

Then I started thinking that I'm not entirely sure what NG+ offers! Does equipment, items, and maps carry over if I start in Classic mode? What about levels? If not, my decision is based on faulty assumptions, and I need to go back to the drawing board.

If anyone has the answers from the Japanese game, or any resources I could turn to myself, it will be much appreciated. Also, I'll be happy to take any suggestions on which mode to start with.

Thanks in advance for your info and advice!

Snowdome
Killclaw

Re: Story v Classic Advice

Postby Snowdome » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:19 pm

If you are going to play both modes anyway, start with the story mode. From what I hear, this will give you access to the story gunner and highlander in game in your second playthrough, and doing it in the opposite direction will lock your own guild members in the story mode.
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

toonfandub
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby toonfandub » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks for the response! I'm honestly a little underwhelmed with the Gunner class (always have been), so getting one class I may use for Classic isn't enough of a draw.

You do bring up an interesting second point, though... I hadn't considered that the replay value of this would be diminished since story mode cuts down on the 'wander around forever grinding with new classes' aspect. Glad I asked!

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 pm

toonfandub
Ragelope

Postby toonfandub » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get all the gunner goodness in Story mode.

Anyone know what carries over in NG+?

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:38 am

You keep everything going from Classic > Story mode. However, you cannot use any of your classic mode characters. If you wish to use the equipped items or grimoires on said characters, make sure to take them off before starting NG+ in Story Mode.

Skorch
Ragelope

Postby Skorch » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:55 am

And I assume the same goes for story > classic?

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:43 am

No, story > classic lets you keep the characters (unless you choose not to - you can choose not to), that's how you get a gunner/highlander.

toonfandub
Ragelope

Postby toonfandub » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Good to know about porting classes and equipment.

What about maps? Do all those transfer with NG+?

toonfandub
Ragelope

Postby toonfandub » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for the list! If that's the case, that helps my decision.

I know the pros live here, so I was hoping we had confirmation from the Japanese game.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 pm

toonfandub
Ragelope

Postby toonfandub » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:09 am

Awesome! Thanks guys and gals!!

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm definitely going to go Story Mode on my first time through this one. The voice acting was my basis of judgement in the demo, mostly. If I can't stand how the characters talk, I'm going to hate the interaction and listening to them talk to me. Seeing as their VA is good, and the cutscenes are pretty awesome, I'm going Story route first.

My question is, though, is Classic Mode the actual remake/reimagining of the first EO? Or is it more like the Story Mode without the Story? I know it's supposed to be a remake of the first Etrian, but that is the one game I never got (I started with II, III, and got IV when I heard it was coming out). I'm just not sure if the story mode is the remake, or the classic mode is... or both? I can't play the Classic Mode in the demo, sadly.

EDIT:
And it seems like there are a lot of people on these forums that like Cucumber Quest xD. I see the avatars with characters from that webcomic all over. That's awesome. Love that comic.

Skorch
Ragelope

Postby Skorch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Classic is the remake of course, but both have you going through the same dungeon. This is the first time in the series that it's had a story with preset characters.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I heard that Classic mode doesn't have some of the extra dungeons, like the one where the Highlander finds the rest of the party.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

35 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”