What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

175 posts
halifix
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Postby halifix » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:51 pm

This is what I could see working:
These randomized dungeons spawn with treasure. As usual, once you get the treasure, you can't get it again... but this concept would also apply to special harvest points. Similarly, FOEs would not respawn; they could be special and have rare drops (or unique skills for grimoires). You can attach one of your saved maps to Spotpass, and trade it with other people, who could then also explore that dungeon (with fresh spawns). Also, the more people you Spotpass with, the more treasure-laced your next generated dungeon would be.

Anyways, I don't mind the 2nd dungeon in EOIV because it allowed maps not otherwise possible. It's just that the fact does not conform to the, uh, Euclidean? map provided with you. It wasn't a memory/marker test like a lot of 6th stratums are. Sure, you might not know where you'd get warped the first time around, but it was very easy to backtrack, unlike some places. I remember I forgot to bring an Ariadne thread to the 6th stratum of EOII once and had to erase an hour or more of play.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 pm

you should get Deep Down when it comes out.

Yggdrago
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Yggdrago » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:33 pm

This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:26 am

^How the FUCK would more story drive away fans? That makes no sense. As long as its party of 5 first person dungeon crawler and making your own map with a variety of useful class choices and challenging bosses, thrown in with some new ideas and enemies, I will still play it. Whether there's more story or about the same should not make a difference, as long as its good enough to set the environment and give you both long and short term goals.

I am very happy with what 1/2/3/4/U:MG has bought story-wise so far for me, and would not mind seeing it again in EO5 and beyond.

Every EO has done it right in my books so far, and I myself would be interested to see them make some stories that little bit deeper.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 am

Pre-made characters and story-driving are not the same thing! Be specific next time. Gah.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:49 am

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:15 am

Just think of it like easy mode. Just because it exists doesn't mean the game is devalued for you, the fact that you can beat it on the hardest difficulty or can keep going just gives you a bit of bragging rights.

So EO would be like MH then? At least in trems of you get one release now and a re-release w/ more stuff? Or they could just mark the price up a bit and just have a story mode and classic mode in EOV and beyond and just have EOU(s) be the reiteration of the older games.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:04 am

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 am

No what I was saying is that in the context of EOU possibly being the prelude to them adding a story mode to all future games that as long as there isn't anything that you HAVE to do story mode to unlock or use then its just extra stuff. (Since that seems to be the only reason I see frequently that people seem to be so very against.)

Well that and the whole argument about adding easy mode. The it was essentially a slap in the face to all the pre-existing fans. I'm just saying this much: If you have options as long as the option you want exists, there really is no reason to worry/complain about it.

But if it's just EOU I can understand since they made doing story mandatory if you wanted to play the other two classes. That is a valid complaint seeing how the original formula was minimalistic in the aspect of story. Some people come here not only for the game/battle mechanics, but also ta lack of story, or in other cases just for min-maxing.

Say we have to pay $45(usd approximately) from now on but each game includes both modes. In this context you don't have to play story mode if you don't want to. It's just there. But still some will complain that it exists at all so what can you do.

Not to go on a tangent but if them adding an extra mode to all the games drew in more people and all we did is complain about it even though we didn't have to play it we'd be like MH fans in that 3U was released and so many "casuals" started playing that they lashed out at new players for wanting to play. More people = higher chance of localization.

Running them off because something we don't like in the game is kinda pointless.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 am

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 am

...As long as it's Etrian Odyssey and not Final Fantasy Dungeon Crawler Edition, I don't mind story.

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 am

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am

175 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”