What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

175 posts
Kaname
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Postby Kaname » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:01 pm

[quote="Kaname"][quote]
Mandatory grinding was a problem only in NES-era games. I can't think of any rpg starting with the SNES era where you had to grind. Not one.

Um... Wizardry V was on SNES.
Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

halifix
Fenrir

Postby halifix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 pm

It's more difficult to implement in turn-based RPGs, but I find that you should only be made to fight until the average target player can get a good grasp on how to fight the enemy or enemy formation.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 pm

i havent really HAD to grind in a jrpg since i got to the elite 4 way underleveled in pokemon sapphire

but i CHOSE to grind in a lot of them. like in FFXIII, i went around killing behemoths for a few hours until i had the stats i wanted just to make sure nothing would bog me down. Mainly because I didn't care about most of the stuff going on in FFXIII and just wanted to get to the next cutscene without being killed

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 am

I haven't had to grind in a long time either... I grind because I can, especially in EO because I am usually fiddling with the skills until I get them just how I want them.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Quote: Kaname

Good point, I missed the J before RPG. If you count western RPGs in, there's a few more. ultima IV in particular was stupid with virtue grinding.

Yes! That one turned me off the entire rest of the Ultima series, which is a shame.

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm not sure if this shouldn't be in the rant thread, but the one thing I'd really love for the next game, is for the characters agility to dictate turn order for more than just basic attacks.
All five games now, it seems there is one set agility order for basic attacks, and one for skills. For example, if all my characters use a skill/special attack or even an item, the turn order is never the same as if they all did basic attacks. Perhaps TEC stat is to blame, as well as AGI, I'm not sure.
Another example: even though my medic may have the highest AGI, if I have the other 4 use basic attacks, the medic casts heal last, instead of first! Usually after the intended recipient has died. What's the point of AGI if you still get a random turn order?
Has anyone else noticed this, or just me?

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 am

Even though I've been gaming for almost 30 years, I whole heartedly admit I am a noob. How do you strategize random? Am I supposed to remember the different turn order each time I use different skills?! I swear, it's different each battle.
*spoiler apology accepted

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:40 am

Ok, thanks... trial and error it is :(

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:28 am

Wow, that would be awesome! I also believe items are fastest. If I notice any other patterns, I'll certainly post them.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:58 am

I don't know about in EOU, but in the other EOs, each skill had an activation speed modifier. Your AGI was multiplied by this. I think that it's also multiplied by the weapon you're using.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:58 am

Ooooooooh. Oops. :3c

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:59 am

I've never thought about it, but it makes sense that certain weapons and armor would slow you down.

175 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”