What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

175 posts
Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Postby Dangerus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:57 am

The Kakuzato
Ragelope

Postby The Kakuzato » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly where I was going with that.
Steam Account: TheKakuzato | | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-5359-1937

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dangerus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:32 am

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:43 am

When I was still in D&D, our DM had us create monster characters, which would level up, gain abilities, and generally wreck anything in our path. This makes me wonder if...

I think it would be interesting if they had a mode where the player was a beast master. You would be given a choice of FOE classes, create a FOE guild and you run around attacking adventurers. All the bosses could be NPC's from previous games.

If this happened, which FOE's would you choose?
Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:30 pm

igniz13
Ragelope

Postby igniz13 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm

I think they clearly want to attract a more casual player base whilst not alienating the existing fans.

As much as I'd like eou style remakes for eo2&3 I don't see them dropping what they've done with the series direction. I also don't see it as a problem as long as there's that option either.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:36 am

igniz13
Ragelope

Postby igniz13 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 pm

It was for me as well but I feel I could've beaten eo2 if I'd played it more. Cannot, for the life of me, remember what went wrong with my original run or what stopped me.

EO3 was a slugfest but I got there, Eo4 was a case of making changes to handle new challenges but I got there. I'm not sure how EOU matches up but I'm guessing it's far easier?

Eo4 is the first one to minimize my need to grind, to the point where I'm not sure I actually did any, but with eo1-3 it was just necessary. Eo4 gave me enough new challenges and compulsion to completethem that the game rarely felt like a chore.

If eo next can provide enough alternative non repetitive stuff to do, that'd be nice.

I do wonder what the classes will be like, I don't think there's been a perfect set, nearly every game had something lacking except maybe eo2. If they could provide the same wealth of options with the addition of sub classing, I suspect I'll be happy, though perhaps EOU has already done that.

I'd also like a prompt EU release date but that's hugely unlikely.

A PC version would also be interesting

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 am

but that's redundant

since EO4 is easy, EO3 is medium, and EO 1 and 2 are hard,

all you need is easy, medium, and hard. why exactly does the game need to explain itself? Preconceptions people might have based on other games are beyond its responsibility.

I shudder to think of a world where stuff happens like the hard setting of a half-life game has a subtitle like "comparable to halo 2 medium or killzone 3 hard"

Tumalu
Ragelope

Postby Tumalu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:50 pm

There's also the part where perceived game difficulty varies wildly depending on what party you happened to choose. Pick the "right" one and the first four games are all pretty easy past the first few floors.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 pm

exactly

if you have medic and protector in EO1, that game is fucking trivial

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 am

yeah because you hadn't played the hallmark games in the series lol

if you talk about what you'd expect from the series...well the series is associated with crushing difficulty.

Tumalu
Ragelope

Postby Tumalu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 am

EO1 without bugged immunize, EO2 without abusing Dominate or a Hexer (I hear high level Ronins get crazy hard to kill too, though...), and EO3 without using one of the broken party combos (WARRIOR'S MIGHT) are all pretty difficult games- albiet EO3's random battles aren't so bad.

And EO4 if you, uh... don't subclass anyone, I guess >_>;;;

EO2 is probably the most imbalanced game of the bunch.

175 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”