What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

175 posts
halifix
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What I Hope for the Next (?) Etrian Odyssey

Postby halifix » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Higher skill levels also usually means a skill activates faster. And people in other threads have explained how turn order works.

So after thinking about it, I prefer EOU's structure to EO3/4. I do feel that grimoires are way OP with an 8 skill max; it basically makes it unimportant to have a troubadour (except against some dragons in certain parties), medic, or really any class that doesn't have binds, and maybe elemental attacks. A 191-point build sounds ridiculous.

EO3/4: Stat books didn't really add any variety. They were a cheap way to make people grind. Subclassing was fun, especially so in EO4 were most of the classes were balanced. Cooking was a nice little distraction. Weapon forging seemed decent, but being forced to beat the same boss 45 times for fully-forged weapons is stupid. Also, I disliked the level restrictions on skills. I felt the burst system was interesting, but basically hard-coded to be overpowered, due to the "heal all" and "stun all" abilities.

EOU: Grimoires are pretty fun, and I like some element of random loot in a single-player game, although others may disagree. The mansion snacks are overpowered, but I wouldn't mind it if they boosted enemy difficulty to match.

Elements inherited from EO4: Formaldehyde is nice, but they really should not allow you to make OP gear from just a boss drop. Party formation switching without wasting an action is nice, allowing for more interesting maneuvers without a ton of risk. And I do prefer getting an idea as to what an FOE is before fighting it.

halifix
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby halifix » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 am

I realize Formaldehyde was from EO3 (although I tended to use Lucky Hammer); the issue is that in EO1 and EOU, the boss rare material would make the ultimate gear for someone. EO4 avoided that by requiring a 6th stratum material as well (and wouldn't show up until then). I don't remember what EO2 and EO3 rare boss drops were used for.

It's not that hard to time Formaldehyde; at least, it's easier than Lucky Hammer, where I started counting damage to figure out when to use it. It's pretty easy to burst 10%+ of a boss's hp in one turn with 4 characters if you prep a bit. In EOU, you just need to use Delayed Charge, Bravant/Charge if you want, and then use Cross Charge when you think it's time. Alternatively, give everyone Action Charge.

lulzace
Fenrir

Postby lulzace » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 am

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 am

(EO sprite templates )

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:10 am

in eo4 you couldn't even farm formaldehydes until post-game anyway :|
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 pm

I think I had a huge wall of text on what I wanted, but hey. I can say it now. Basically, I want EO5 to reference EO4 and EO3 like how EO3 referenced the first two.

And I would like EOU2 to be set in Armoroad rather than Lagaard so that way we can import all our 3DS Guild files into EOU3 as it could be the Lagaard remake. I know it sounds selfish because I was disappointed I couldn't get any data transported into EO4 from EO3 (Don't get me wrong, I love EO4 as much as I love EO3 otherwise. The two are tied for favorite Etrian Odysseys) but it makes sense to me story wise. Our Guild name could be everywhere in that sense!

What I don't want is another Persona crossover. I was really disappointed that Persona Q was one of the upcoming titles and I hope that it is the only Persona crossover to happen. Because once again, Etrian Odyssey is the only ATLUS series I could get behind. But I am only glad Persona Q exists because there is a higher chance more fans can try Etrian Odyssey before getting their hands on the game when it comes to the states. I know Persona is rather popular in the states. I guess ATLUS and SEGA are going to try and see where the money is going for future franchises.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:05 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:37 am

you phrased that backwards, i mean no settings or characters are re-used between EO games as it is

but i'd say persona characters and settings being used in an EO game counts as a crossover, yes. saying "the only similarity is gameplay" is like saying the only similarity between two foods is taste. it's kind of the main thing.

zelda 2 and castlevania is a poor example because they aren't alike at all

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Did I just start a debate on here?

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:30 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:41 am

if every dungeon crawler with a second screen would have you drawing the map why did the dark spire not have such a feature?

are specific characters and locations what defines a crossover to you?

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:33 am

I think y'all need to put this into a different discussion. I'm sorry I started it with my thoughts for the next Etrian Odyssey.

Other things I hope for in the next Etrian Odyssey:
- More character customization.
- More overworlds
- Less Fredericas
- More
- More classes
- MORE story, definitely.
- More options to invite NPCs into Guild
- More multiplayer gameplay (like EO3, definitely)

The Kakuzato
Ragelope

Postby The Kakuzato » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 am

After mentioning this to a friend of mine that plays EO, I think I'll post it here.

After trying EOIII, I am somewhat disappointed by the feel of the skill system (I know this is kind of a silly thing, but I really prefer the look of a skill tree. I can't really keep track of it in list form, as I am a very visual person.), but the biggest disappoint to me was the Common Skills. I was very happy those were removed for 4.

However, the common skills gave me an idea that I would love to see in a possible EOV, in tandem with subclasses. The best way to describe my idea would be a "Global Skill Tree" separated in different masteries and stat-ups, and probably with an aesthetic somewhere between EOIV and EOU.

What I mean by this, is that there would be Mastery skills for each weapon, along with the typical stat ups, with all their subskills and stuff as we've seen previously. Different classes having access to different mastery skills and stat ups etc. etc. HOWEVER, each class would have certain skills branching off of skillsets that they /don't/ naturally have, and this is where subclassing would come in. With subclasses , you could access skills that pure classes would never be able to. Thus bringing a whole different level of customization and strategy. Class combinations you wouldn't think of being viable might become incredibly useful due to certain skills being unlocked.

Of course, I would expect these skills to remain hidden until you actually subclass your characters, just so some experimentation would be necessary to test the viability of certain combinations.

...I think that's all I thought of. Been a while since I brought it up to my friend. To think this idea came from me simply disliking a handful of skills any class could access in EOIII.
Last edited by The Kakuzato on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Account: TheKakuzato | | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-5359-1937

175 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”