Worth playing original if you have Millennium Girl?

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Congrolios
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Worth playing original if you have Millennium Girl?

Postby Congrolios » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am

Hello,

Maybe a stupid post but I've been having a hard time finding a definitive answer to this. I played the original EO a long time ago, briefly, and just recently picked up EO 4 and MG. Loving 4 and started MG tonight. I'm aware that MG is supposed to be a "remake" or "remastering" of the first, but is it true to the original game? That is, if I do not buy a new copy of EO but just play MG will I be missing out on anything?

I love the series and I'd like to experience all it has to offer, but at the same time I don't want to buy the original EO if it's redundant due to MG. Even if anyone feels like the first is still worth playing simply because of unchanged mechanics or anything like that I'm really interested to get input on this.

Thank you.

Garlyle
Fenrir

Re: Worth playing original if you have Millennium Girl?

Postby Garlyle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:02 am

I don't think it's worth going back to EO1.

A lot of the changes made in Millenium Girl are for the better - better class/enemy balance, better floors, better presentation, Ronins/Hexers available immediately, etc. Even if you don't touch Story Mode, nothing was outright removed from Classic (Unless you want to count one katana you have to play Story Mode to get, although it was an "I've beaten the ultimate super postgame boss" reward in EO1)

(EO sprite templates )

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:53 am

The grimoire system is a different from traditional EO, but EO1 lacked any kind of dual/multiclassing (introduced in EO3), so it's more of an addition. The tech trees are a little different too I think, but probably better balanced. I'd say that EOU Classic mode is a worthy replacement for EO1.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am

the first game is deliberately archaic, and so much harder, but playing the new one might give you an edge on that difficulty...

but if you just want to experience something raw and true to the original spirit of etrian odyssey, go for EO2

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

(EO sprite templates )

Congrolios
Ragelope

Postby Congrolios » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Thank you all for the input. Think I'll skip the original and just get 2 and 3.

6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”