About Raquna...(Super Minor Spoilers)

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Fortress Fan
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About Raquna...(Super Minor Spoilers)

Postby Fortress Fan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:31 am

I'm curious to know if she's Canadian/Ontarionian in the Japanese version as well. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she was, I have an inkling that it is just one big gag by the localization team. I can't imagine that people with such a different language can so easily detect differences in accents, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm only halfway through the 3rd stratum so no spoilers plox~

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: About Raquna...(Super Minor Spoilers)

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:23 am

I doubt she's "canadian" in the J version. Probably another country - one that would continue the gag, but sometimes the localization comes down to a choice: stay faithful to the script or the idea. Since it's something that's supposed to be for laughs, the idea is fine by me.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 am

According to the , she's from Ontario there too.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Oooh, really? That's fun, then.

[] - [] - [] - []

Fortress Fan
Ragelope

Postby Fortress Fan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 pm

How is Raquna a stereotype?
Kimiko

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Because she talks with exaggerated Canadian affectation, loudly enjoys drinking and hunting, and eats maple ice cream

The first time I beat the game, English voices weren't implemented yet, and I don't remember any EH or whatever in the way she talked, but she definitely was still from the far-off kingdom of "Ontario"

The only real gag about it is the maple ice cream, I think...I was actually kinda worried people would find the whole thing in bad taste (tumblr at least), but one of the other testers was from Ontario, and he said that was unlikely.

Shilleka, though...

Tumalu
Ragelope

Postby Tumalu » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:42 am

My Canadian friends (contact mostly through skype, but I've met them IRL a few times) sound pretty much exactly the same as most people I know in the US do.

But maybe I just don't really pay attention to specific things!

Fortress Fan
Ragelope

Postby Fortress Fan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:22 am

As a Canadian I'm not sure I can say it without bias, but I find our English sounds identical to American English. Yet somehow I'm always called out as a Canadian when I speak to anonymous people online >,>. Apparently even I say "eh"'s and "aboot"'s when I'm not paying attention.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:16 am

I probably would never even notice the "eh"s and stereotypical things that others would notice.

But that's also because I'm oblivious <_<;;

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:42 am

Do Canadians have a reputation for being loud drinkers then?
The hunting thing seemed more like something she did with her posh dad than an actual hobby of hers. But maybe I'm projecting a European view.
And the maple stuff was just a reference. It's not like she's eating it every second.
Kimiko

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 am

since when are stereotypes ever exclusive, and how do the experiences of you, an individual, even factor into the subject?

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:21 pm

1/2 of the fabled Canadian Twins chiming in here... I'm not from the East coast where the "aboot" accent comes from but a lot of people here fit a lot of those stereotypes.

Also, I can tell the difference between an East Coast Canadian accent and a Southern American drawl, but most of the rest of Canadians and Americans sound similar to me.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 am

The more I know.

Fortress Fan
Ragelope

Postby Fortress Fan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:44 pm

I didn't anticipate that there would be disagreements/ignorance (I mean that in the least offensive way) about the Canadian stereotype. Any satisfaction I derived from Raquna being Canadian in the Japanese version is now lost :D.

15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”