Differences between Original and Untold

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Windywalk
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Differences between Original and Untold

Postby Windywalk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm

More Night effect
EOU added about Night of Stratum screen, 2nd to 6th Stratum, Camp background, Golden Deer Pub, Rooster Inn, Radha Hall.

EO1 affected about only 1st Stratum, Sky in Town area.
EO2 affected about everything, EO3 added with Area screen in Town Map, EO4 is same as EO3.

Calendar system
EO2 introduced calendar system, but messed in US version (Only first three months are correct). This is fixed after EO3.

Hospital is removed
Since EO3 has removed this and replaced to sidegame, you can revive parties in Inn.

More map icons
Since EO1 has inconvenient about mapping, because very few icons and only one color. EO2 has much more convenience.

Skills are revamped and more balanced! And maps are redesigned too.

Naming convention is recent EO series!
Enemies, Skills are NOT only 8 lettered names. Since EO3 name number is freedom.

Stratum screen font is same as European version. I expected about what they doing in EOU2.

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Re: Differences between Original and Untold

Postby MeltingPenguins » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:00 pm

EOU removed close to all of the world- and characterbuilding from the game and replaced it with scenes to force the Highlander's 'awesomeness' onto the player, and furthermore changed the general but nifty RPG-story-hook of 'random group goes on an adventure' to 'superspecialawesome group of choosen ones goes on an adventure cause only THEY can save the world, and at least two of them fall in love even though it'll be outright creepy'

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:33 am

to be fair, i dont actually remember the team being "the chosen ones" at all...

i remember the highlander and ricky being notable people (because 'omg highlander!' and 'omg girl found in a machine in an undiscovered dungeon!')... but simon, arthur, and raquna werent exactly treated like "chosen ones". just respected as an extension of the library... which they were. i dont really think they were until later.... at which point a standard classic mode group wouldve been treated the same :/

...then again its been a while for me... i havent replayed Untold yet. all i remember about "chosen ones" were about gladshiem and frankly, they werent "chosen"... they just knew more because ricky, and acted on it.

in fact,

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:52 pm

well, then explain to me why instead of the intro prophecy we have a video that, instead of being the animated intro prophecy, is a video that is either spoilers or 'the highlander being awesome' (not).
Explain to me, where all the world- and characterbuilding went.
It's not there in the classic mode.
Explain to me why, as said elsewhere, Quinn, for example, became a yes-man, who needs to be inspired by the highlander first to do that perfectly normal things he did on his own in the original.
Explain to me, why there are gaping plotholes.
The game did threw out all of that in Untold. Don't try to tell me otherwise, i'm currently doing a side-to-side comparison.

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:47 pm

There wasn't more character building in EO1, and EOU actually brings more to classic characters through story mode (Kupala and the forest folks being the most evident one, followed by a lot more worldbuilding about the ancient civilization).

Quinn was also a yes man in the original, until the quest about killing the forest folks, which is also the time where he starts doubting Visil's orders in EOU Story mode.

We see the plotholes in EOU, because EO1 wasn't detailed enough to give us the possibilities to see any plothole ever.

You're too hard about this game : it's not a masterpiece in terms of scenario, but it's actually pretty enjoyable (except that Frederica is getting on my nerves sometimes, that's why I didn't bother with post-game in Story mode and switched to Classic, even if I liked playing the Story till the end). It added some more background to Ren and Tlachtga, and the townfolks, without removing anything from the classic story!

The only thing I didn't like with Story mode, is that they reveal some elements too soon : the ancient civilization, and the fact that Visil is possessed. Which makes some reveals in the fifth stratum less of a surprise...
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:30 pm

characterbuilding = getting a look at the NPCs personality and stuff.
I found great chunks of these things missing in direct comparison. Similar, yes, Untold 'added' stuff to NPCs like Kupala, but it would have been better if that stuff would have made sense.
In the games before U, stuff the NPCs did usually had ingame reasons. In U I have yet to find one thing, especially the changes, that would make sense in-universe instead of 'because the game demands it'.
You know,

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 pm

I personally loved what they did with Kupala : I hated in the original game how your characters seemed to don't care about the forest folk, and unlike in EO3 you didn't had the choice about it. EOU Story Mode at least adds more humanity to this part of the game that made me feel bad the first time I played EO1.

French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”