Classic mode advice?

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the first game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
11 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
iloverushandledzepp
Ragelope

Classic mode advice?

Postby iloverushandledzepp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Does anyone have any character creation/gameplay advice for this mode for if/when i decide to try it?
"Go down there?! I'd rather burn in hell than enter that dark place! What? How much gold did you say? Well, since you put it that way..." -Anonymous (quote from Mordor 1.1: Depths of Dejenol)

sebberu
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Classic mode advice?

Postby sebberu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:07 pm

If you plan on tackling the post-game on Expert, my first advice is to get a Protector with all Anti skills and Parry. Other than that, it's always recommendable to have a balanced party - good (sustainable) damage, debuffs (if you don't like Hexers, via Grimoire stones) and someone who restores your team's health (not only healing, but also removing binds and ailments). Good luck!

iloverushandledzepp
Ragelope

Postby iloverushandledzepp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

many thanks :) lets see what others say too ;)
"Go down there?! I'd rather burn in hell than enter that dark place! What? How much gold did you say? Well, since you put it that way..." -Anonymous (quote from Mordor 1.1: Depths of Dejenol)

iloverushandledzepp
Ragelope

Postby iloverushandledzepp » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:22 am

one could discard the protector and/or medic on easy mode i can assume right? those grimoir stones can have some medic and protector skills eh?

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:27 am

You can go with anything in easy mode, just... anything.

The game isn't even good that way. If you're new to Etrian Odyssey games, go to standard mode : it's still easier than normal EO difficulty, but not too much so the game opposes you some resistance (the difficulty is like a classic RPG in standard mode).

In higher difficulties (not picnic then), a Protector is a must-have, but Medic is droppable : use Protector's low-level Cure in the beginning, and healing items. Then at higher levels (around 15) you can rely on a Troubadour's buffs to heal in battle (just keep a few items to heal on field). When you get access to the manor, Rosa will help you by making cordials that can up/restore your HP and TP, so abuse them.
And if you miss status/bind healing skills, make a Medic with these skills and try to get them on a Grimoire (it's not too difficult, it can just take some time). But in standard mode, you're less vulnerable to status and binds, so you dont need them so badly if you have some items with you.

EOU lacks of good class combos, so for a newcomer the story mode team, or something pretty much like it (aka Protector/Medic/Alchemist/any_damage_dealer/any_support) will be a good start.

For my part, I've done classic mode in expert with Protector/Dark Hunter/Ronin Troubadour/Hexer team. I like this team, but I think Ronins and Hexers are difficult to play as a newcomer. You can try it anyway ^^
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

iloverushandledzepp
Ragelope

Postby iloverushandledzepp » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm

many thanks for the info :)

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 pm

I dunno if this question would fit here or not... but meh, w/e

ive gone through the story mode and into the post game stuff with the story group, but i wanted to play through classic... and was wondering what i should do...

would it be a good idea to have them change classes and rest down to lvl 1? or just NG+ and start with 5 members of my choosing?

i kind of want to give highlander another shot (i didnt like em at first), but i dont want to mix and match the story mode characters with classic mode characters..

sebberu
Fenrir

Postby sebberu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:12 pm

iloverushandledzepp
Ragelope

Postby iloverushandledzepp » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:14 am

interesting :)

Weebos
Ragelope

Postby Weebos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 pm

Hey guys, sorry If I'm hijacking this thread, but it seemed like a better idea than making a new one.

I've played EO4 and EO3, and I've just started a Normal classic run of EO:U (haven't played Story Mode).

After having been around the block on EO3/4 I wanted to mix it up for my EO:U party and not run a Protector or Medic.

My team is:

Samurai / Dark Hunter / Troubadour
Hexer / Alchemist

I just beat Fenrir and I haven't been having too many problems yet.

Will I start having trouble without any of the old standbys?

The Troubadour has basically become a healer at this point, will she remain effective?

Can a Dark Hunter equip both a Whip and a Sword? I've elected to go Sword with mine so as not to overlap with my Hexer.

Any other general party advice?

Thanks for any input.

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Whips are better with a Hexer in your team, Swords aren't good since you can't have two ailments on the same foe.
Ecstasy deals more damage than any other skill around, even with no bind.
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

11 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl”