Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Fafnir no Kishi

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the second game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

162 posts
Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Fafnir no Kishi

Postby Dangerus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 am

NOW I GET IT!! LOL

sponge7325
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sponge7325 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:18 pm

My complete thoughts on this new game, without any squealing and fish-cursing...

I have to say that I'm very surprised that we have gotten a new Untold game so quickly! While I might have liked to get EO5 first, a new Etrian Odyssey game is still a new Etrian Odyssey game, so I'm happy. Even thought I know basically all about the game story-wise, I haven't actually played EO2 before, so it'll be nice to play Story Mode and Classic Mode alike.
I know that it's a bit early to say, but from what we've seen of the new story, I actually really really like it! All the new characters look good, and I'm probably the only person who so far actually LIKES Chloe (Similarly to how I like Midori from Devil Survivor but everyone else hates her...). Flavio sounds like kind of a joke name to me, but I'm sure that it'll grow on me eventually. The Hero looks like he's going to be fun to use too. So all in all, I have no real complaints about Story Mode.
EO2 had a lot of really nice looking stuff in it too, so I'm also excited to see how everything will look now. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that EO2 had some of the prettiest stratums (Not to say there aren't pretty stratums in other EO games, my favorite ever stratum is in EO4, it's just that EO2 a LOT of pretty stratums). And there were a lot of cool looking bosses too. Everything about EO2 was pretty, really. Can't wait to see how EOU2 is gonna handle this stuff...
Also GEAHHH THE MUSIC THE MUSIC THE MUSIC GIVE ME SHIVER NOOOWWWWWW
But yeah, overall, nothing to not be excited about. I was kinda disappointed at first cause I thought I would have to ditch Isaac & Company from the Skyseek Saga, but I decided that I'm just gonna use the old parallel universe trick to explain the Untold series. So HURRAH!
Oh, one last thing, as much as I like EO3, I have to say that I think that making an EOU3 would be kind of redundant, cause honestly I can't see anyone making EO3 better than it is. Of course, you can add a Story Mode and let Kujara (Don't hurt me please, Dangerus) and Olympia/Seyfried (There I added him now please just don't hurt me) join your team, but really unless the Story Mode was really really good, I wouldn't see any reason to buy it. Of course, I still WOULD buy it, cause it's Etrian Odyssey and it's always great, but I wouldn't have a real REASON too.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm

It is cool.

Basically what I fear for this game is that lack of replay value EOU had. It says a lot now that I mention it, but it had to be said. EO3 had incredible replay value. It had three different endings that still connected, and the fact it had the first new game plus is indeed a plus. Also, there is the other fear that the main character would be unbearable, but looking at the princess and the hero, I doubt it. I am guessing my only initial problem would be Chloe, just like it was Frederica in the first EOU.

Otherwise, EOU2 looks fun. I LOVE the designs here much better than EOU.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 pm

Chloe looks sweet. It's the Hero I'm more worried about.

Too many stories have either heroes who are so unremarkable that they might as well be left out, or heroes who are jerkasses who people would dismiss as nasty except oh, they're the great hero who can do nothing wrong. The former often happens to blank-slate, mute, audience stand-in heroes, the latter to stories which are more about the hero's greatness than about the world or people they're supposedly saving.

EOU1's Hero had a little of the latter, in stealing the spotlight from the rest of the team, except that he wasn't a jerk, and a bit of the former in that he really didn't have much personality, no name, and no voice outside battle. EOU2's Hero looks like he's going to steal even more spotlight.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 am

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:15 am

(EO sprite templates )

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Come to think of it, we now have two characters with Pyro Jack hat emblems, EO3's Olympia, and EOU2's Chloe. Team Pyro Jack? Or is one of them fake?
Kimiko

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:56 am

Chloe is a poser; Had she battled a Pyro Jack outside of this new game?!

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:30 am

So the blog on the website has two of the arranged themes from the game uploaded!

First stratum:

Battle theme:

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:21 am

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:48 am

Okay, I really want to defend Chloe, I feel there are waaay too many negative things said to her, and it seems to be pretty solely on her apperance.

A sloppy Google translate of her profile on the site says:
Doctor Magus that had to accompany Bertrand.
Strange system girl does not move only that there expressionless taciturn, and their interests.
Blunt words pop out if you open your mouth, but no offense.

So yeah, she's not very expressive and she's pretty blunt with her words but doesn't mean any actual harm. Maybe one of those remarks is what's causing Bertrand's quote: "Paladins are on the decline? Who decided that?" So yeah, she does fall into a cliché, I'd see her insult someone as soon as they call her short, probably why she wears the hat as it makes her look taller. Actually, her portrait on the website makes her look way taller than the full body picture, it's the pose.

Her two quotes in the trailer are: "If no one’s there, I want to stay here forever." and "I wanted everyone to be together!"

And the trailer saying that they're all from different upbringins I'd imagine Chloe was, as a kid, in a situation where she was forced to grow up too soon, she never had the opportunity to be a kid. Maybe something along the ways of losing a family member she was very close to, hence why she's saying "I wanted everyone to be together" in a voice as if she is about to cry.

Actually, I looked at the trailer again, in almost all the scenes with Chloe she's next to Bertrand. In the scene with the "everyone together" line, she's being held by Flavio who she pushes aside and looses her hat.

I dunno, just the last couple of Chloe related comments have been rustling my jimmies and I wanted to vent out my own personal thoughts and attempt to defend her because I happen to like her so far.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Pfft. Chloe is the real heroine of the new game. The others are just supporting cast. So what if she's a little shy/awkward? It's a charm point.
Kimiko

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 pm

:( Meanie *pout*

No, it wasn't sarcasm. From what we've learned so far I think I'll like Chloe.
Kimiko

162 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight”