Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Fafnir no Kishi

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the second game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

162 posts
Garlyle
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Fafnir no Kishi

Postby Garlyle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:19 am

I think we all knew this was coming, so here's the announce trailer and official name/website! (The subtitle can be translated as "Knight of Fafnir")

Translated Seiyuu list, with names/classes (according to the english names displayed briefly during character cut-ins):

Hero: Hikaru Midorikawa
Princess Arianna: Risa Taneda
Sniper Flavio: Daisuke Namikawa
Paladin Bertrand: Keiji Fujiwara
War Magus Chloe: Yuka Iguchi

Yes, that's Princess. As in EO3 Princess. Hell yeah.

No, I have no clue what the hell class the Hero's supposed to be. I would have said Landsknecht except--well, watch the trailer, you'll understand.

Raw facts posted and covered so far, I'm gonna note that I'm excited! I'm really hoping certain improvements were made compared to Untold though, namely...

1 - That they don't lock certain things behind Story Completion this time (while I didn't mind doing Story Mode I know a lot of people who didn't like it or only wanted to play Classic)
2 - If there is any new Story content it's accessible from Classic (Glastheim had some fun bosses and missing that in Classic is a shame)
3 - They do something to make the Grimoire system better. I know a lot of people who really enjoyed its seemingly endless freedom but the amount of RNG involved in it was just painful to me.

...Also, while I'm thinking about it - the website currently consists of three pages. If you remember the teaser, the bubbles were "2" "D" "X".

Well, if you go to the site now, there's three pages you can rotate between - 2, D, and X. And the D/X pages are still like the original teaser, and say "Nobody knows the D/X" as the page headers. ...So more games possibly being announced, or are those going to be reveals about significant added features to 2? Only time will tell.
Last edited by Garlyle on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

(EO sprite templates )

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Re: Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Fafnir no Kishi

Postby MrTwinklehead » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am

I have the hots for all the dudes. Wow, why are you doing this to me, atlus?! I've still to even play EOU, the demo just didn't pull me in enough to want to buy it. Maybe this one will though, I like the designs much better. *shrugs*

Also, here's like a translation from tumblr.

- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Garlyle
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Garlyle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:54 am

2 was interesting - I'd call it probably the best balanced in the series (there was very little you could do to really break the game, outside of Hexers, making for a very solid challenge), but also so much stuff was carried over from 1 in design that it felt sometimes like 2 lacked much of its own identity at the time.

Interesting to get an english translation of things (including some hints at what'll probably be the new story-only plot chunk).

Oh god I just realised the one thing I really enjoyed about 2 is going to get remade the spring stratum oh my god day one buy

Also: (Genuine EO2 spoilers!)

(EO sprite templates )

sebberu
Fenrir

Postby sebberu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Definitely looking forward to this. Given that we had a Gunner as an anticipated class in EOU1 and now a Princess in EOU2, I suspect we'll have an EO4 class in the EO3 remake, should it come someday.

And now, dear European fellows, let's wait two years, hooray!

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Princess... Now I am interested in what they will put in for EOU3
Considering that both gunner and princess had appeared in Yuji Himukai's homepage, I would say Landsknecht and Fortress have a higher chance of making into EOU3.
As a side note, is this the first DS/3DS game that doesn't feature a yellow-haired female character for Yuji to put into his homepage?

Arrrrrrgh I want to know what those "D" and "X" are about...
Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm

No.

騎士 means "Knight," so the subtitle is actually "Knight of Fafnir."

Well, I'll keep an eye out on this.
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Also, the princess's name is Arianna, not or .

Fafnir's Knight apparently is the title of the Hero. Some kind of transforming power. That's definitely something new for this game. A front line class it seems.

I'm not sure, did I see a new stratum there? At about 1:00, top left and bottom left. Those look like day/night versions of the same thing.

Return of Artelind(e) also confirmed, so I expect der Freischütz (sp?) to be there too.

Doesn't that architecture in the background of the Artelind battle remind you of that from EO4's fourth area?

Wait, what's that at 1:36? The top left is the ice stratum (I think it was #3 in EO2), but the flamey center screen looks new. Would that be a Glastheim-like area?

1:41, is that a new giant boss or something? Doesn't look familiar.

I don't think I saw any . They're keeping them a surprise?
---

ETA more thoughts. No, I don't think that's the Hero transforming into a monster before the final stratum. They wouldn't spoil a twist like that in a trailer.

A battle transformation makes sense too, as the party as given is light on debuffs, which IIRC the War Magus class more or less depends on.

Healing would be shared between Arianna and Chloe. Hero is the main physical offense, as usual.

Bleh. I don't like tank classes (Paladin, Fortress, Phalanx, Protector etc.). I'd rather have another physical or magical offensive class like Alchemist or Beast. Or something fun like a Troubadour or Dark Hunter or Hexer. Alchemist and Gunner were already in EOU1, but then again, so was the tank class.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:07 pm

This was an interesting turn of events. I think so far, I love everyone EXCEPT Chloe here. I'm going to say this again, but this time I'll phrase it differently... I don't think Etrian Odyssey should have another (poorly written) little girl character that has a main role again. should have been enough. Frederica proved to be a nuisance, and I fear Chloe will be the same.

Still, I like the changes made here, and I also like the fact Etrian Odyssey 3's Princess/Prince class is here, as is the Survivalist Class. I'm kind of interested in what they'll do in this new party.

I want to like Arianna, I really do. I hope that these guys write her well. Same with all the other
characters.

But eeeeep... I fear that they'll make Armoroad Ending the main ending in EO3U, and I don't want that for specific reasons. )8 Though, I'm guessing this means they'll be another class in both... I really want to see that soon.

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Considering I never played the original EO2, I think this will be the perfect time to finally buy it.

Garlyle
Fenrir

Postby Garlyle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Last edited by Garlyle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(EO sprite templates )

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm

As far as I've seen discussions elsewhere, it all appears to yeah So, yeah, we basically have the entire deal with little Frederica all over again in a way.
0/10, won't buy
Furthermore: Hell, if they continue the trend of 'hey, let's shoehorn a representative class from the following game into this remake'... does that mean there'll be in the remake of 3, despite them being quite a major plottwist in 4 and that it wouldn't work with the story?
(Sorry, dangerus, if I got your hopes for up with that)

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Well the would make as little sense, as they are, no pun intended, locked away in their areas.
Dancer is a possibility, but I doubt they'll do that. it's not... prestige-bearing enough. so, yeah, if they continue that trend, it'll probably one of the classes that will make no sense at all to be there.
And, I think I shall try to draw that. I mean I am already putting the Untold characters in their corresponding EO4 classes, so, why the heck not.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 pm

162 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight”