EOUII Rantage!

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the second game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

656 posts
ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Re: EOUII Rantage!

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:34 pm

If there are multiple save slots this time around, I guess it wouldn't hurt to play the (story mode only) demo that just went up about 20 mins ago.

Considering how bad the writing for Untold's Story Mode was, I'm not expecting the writing to be anything stellar, but we'll see.

Likely going to do Classic Mode as my first full playthrough once the game comes out. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer my Story Mode save to the full version and still start a new Classic Mode save.

Playing the post game in Etrian Mystery Dungeon trying to min/max my Gunner for the 12th (and final?) Dungeon, so the demo release hit me as a pleasant surprise.

Sigma
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sigma » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Mine was first day release. So I would have the same edition as you. Never happened to me. However I'm a save freak and usually as soon as I opened the stair shortcut I would go back and save. So maybe I never encountered the issue because of that.

[] - [] - [] - []

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

Was prompted for "Etrian Odyssey extra data" for the demo, anyone know which game's extra data it utilizes? I already had both IV and Untold's extra data, so I am unsure as to which game's it uses (perhaps both, I don't know).

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:35 am

? Odd, I don't recall anything like that. What did the prompt say specifically?

Also: wow... how long is this demo? Can't be much longer. My characters are starting to get to level 6 but I wasn't expecting that they would let me venture up the stairs to Floor2. I think EOU's demo stopped after the first floor and some Gladsheim (sp?) action

[] - [] - [] - []

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:36 am

It was one of the first things that popped up when I started the demo. I can't seem to get it to prompt a second time. I'll try re-downloading it later if I have to.

Pretty sure the demo for Untold allowed you to explore up to the beginning of floor B3F.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:38 am

Huh. Very weird. I wonder if it was a glitch. Like something that's supposed to be the in the full game but not in the demo except that pieces of the coding are there in the demo.

[] - [] - [] - []

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:03 am

Ok so I've played most of the demo and I'm in the middle of exploring 3F. Tbh I never got past the beginning of the fourth stratum of EOU1 because the Gladsheim boss was destroying me and I was too stubborn to change the difficulty, but also because I think EO1's dungeon is kind of boring! And I thought the remake didn't do much to liven up the early areas. Right off the bat I felt like the dungeon graphics for EOU2 was a lot more refined, which helped the game feel a lot more updated and engaging. This might be because the original game's graphics had a lot more effort put into them, but w/e it's still cool. I love EO2's dungeon more anyway.

I also like the party a lot better than EOU1's. I don't really care much about how good the story is because at the end of the day it's an EO game and my expectations will always be low, but I like the dynamics between characters more already. I also feel like gameplay-wise the party is pretty unique and less "traditional" than EOU1's. The healing options and bind skills are a lot more spread out, and there seem to be multiple ways of building a cohesive party (although I guess EOU1 did too, but I never found a better option than just letting Arthur/Frederica nuke everything while Raquna defended and the MC buffed everyone). I feel like the game pushes synergy between Chloe/Flavio and MC/Arianna, though. Also the transformation skills are a lot less overpowered than I expected. Minor thing, but playing on expert at least, when the dog (forget its name, whoops) joined the party, auto-battling was still pretty dangerous and I was still on my toes.

Other than that, who the hell decided to give the innkeeper that voice, and the sound definitely feels off (the voices and SEs sound too loud in comparison to the BGM), so hopefully it's a demo thing. And the new mapping features are great and I really liked the demo. I'm going to feel awkward if I finish EOU2 but not EOU1, but I guess I'll get over it.

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Totally agree with the Innkeeper's voice being off, but I do love Cass' voice; as it is similar to what I had in my head back during EO2.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Agreed. The only person whos voice feels off is the inn keeper. Her voice reminds me of someone, I think, from one of the Rune Factory series. For some reason everytime I hear the voice I'm instantly thinking of "Come on! BUY SOMETHING!" I have no proof of this of course.

Either way, the voices still went off. I just find them distracting.

[] - [] - [] - []

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Okay, after completing the demo, my opinion on this game has changed somewhat.

First off, I still don't like the MC, Flavio, or Arianna. MC's a bit too perfect for my tastes, I normally like best friend type characters but Flavio feels really bleh still though he's growing on me, and Arianna, well, not sure what I don't like about her, but I don't really like her.

However! Bertrand, I like, which is odd because I hadn't thought I'd actually LIKE him, but hey surprising things happen. I also do really like Chloe, so I suppose liking two characters out of five is better than liking none. Also, continuing through the dungeons, they're still FUN (I love the puzzles that involve trapping the FOEs, but because it's a demo I didn't get to do any truly challenging puzzles with that), but again I don't like being stopped five seconds because my crew wants to whine about something, but I guess I can't really hold that against the game too much. The whole cooking system seemed fun at first, but eventually I realized that it was REALLY tacked on. Grimoire Stones seem to be less annoying to use, but it's hard to say as you don't unlock the ability to do much with them in the demo, though it gives me plenty of ideas to do stuff like making a Alchemist/War Magus and stuff.

Overall, the game is on my radar more than it was before, but I'm still not interested enough to want to buy it anytime soon. And yeah, that Innkeeper sounds nothing like I imagined her to ever sound. She sound's like Rosetta from Rune Factory 1/Frontier, at least from what I recall her sounding like 'cause it's been an exceedingly long time since I've played Frontier and Rune Factory 1 being the only Rune Factory game I don't own.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:15 pm

THAT'S IT!! ROSETTE!! XD I'm remembering her from Rune Factory Frontier as the General Store manager (and my second love interest for Raguna). "COME ON! BUY SOMETHING!"

[] - [] - [] - []

Hobgoblin
Ragelope

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm

ElmntNinja
Ragelope

Postby ElmntNinja » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Might be me, but I feel like Arianna would be better suited as a Troubadour themed character rather than a Princess of some place.

Hobgoblin
Ragelope

Postby Hobgoblin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:46 am

How so?

656 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight”