EOUII Rantage!

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the second game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

656 posts
Myssdii
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EOUII Rantage!

Postby Myssdii » Sun May 15, 2016 9:49 am

And after a day of trying different builds, I finally beat Ur-child!

Now I'm on the EOU boss chain DLC with my original chase team (my Landsknecht was tired of being an Highlander, and I need my tank Beast for this quest). The fourth boss, Corotrangul is still blocking me, but it's doable if I'm able to burst him down before he starts to use Flood (if the "pattern" is the same as in the original game, he doesn't use it before falling below 50% health).
I hope it doesn't go for long after that, I'm pretty sure I'll have to kill Iwaopenelep (that name...) after, but they wouldn't go as far as the final boss and post-game bosses, would they ? ...would they ? ._.
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon May 16, 2016 1:01 am

Pretty sure its only Manticore and Alura Une after Iwaroplane (however you spell it).

I find I use my Highlander more for Limitless + Spear Assist at the moment. Delayed/Cross is really iffy to work with Crusade, since you'll probably want to use it for Delayed Charge due to its enormous damage modifier compared to Cross (Delayed is a terrifying 900% at 20). You also will probably want to use Limitless on both Cross and Delayed, which means they have a lot of turns of setup. You could use Cross to detonate Delayed Charge early, but you end up eating a big damage penalty, so its usually not worth it.

Hero Battle doesn't work with palms by the way, since palms remove the piercing element from all their moves.

EDIT: Beat Arachne btw. A bit trickier than Flame Demon, but I didn't really gain any levels during my trip through Ginugagaga (whatever). The main thing that screwed me a little was the second Venomous Bite. I already used up Desperation, so my Beast didn't have the HP to survive. Better him than the team though =/

Myssdii
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Myssdii » Mon May 16, 2016 8:20 am

Oh, that explains a lot why the effects didn't seem to stack... For Cross Charge + Delayed Charge, I used CC the turn DC counter was at zero, so the damage reduction was 25% only, and CC double damage would in theory have balanced that (it would even be a bit more in theory).

But if Palms would negate the 50% bonus damage from Hero Battle (why? Seriously, the Force Boost says it boosts Spear Skills damages, even with a Palm they're still Spear Skills), that explains why my damages didn't reach really high compared to my Gunner or my Dark Hunter (well, for DH damages, nothing can really beat them, but I was merely reaching 20k at max rested level, while at level 92 without rest my DH was doing 45k without a sweat).

As a developer myself, I'm really disappointed by Atlus' devs...
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Wed May 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Contemplating a new Classic team:

Highlander, Ronin, Alchemist
Beast, Medic

The idea is to have the Medic provide overkill healing to the Beast while also acting as a Troubadour via Grimoires. The Alchemist* will be of the palm variety, I've never run one and would love to try it in this version. The Ronin will be better built than the first play through (given what I know now) and might be exploited with Grimoires (Compression + Point Blank -> Frigid Slash**). The Highlander, I want to use Spear Assist, but at the same time I don't know exactly what has changed since EOU and will be just winging it as a go along; as raw numbers (already extracted from the game) can be misleading at times.

Only downside is, I don't know when I will get around to this play through, but am very much looking forward to it when I do.

*On the first play through, when I got to Great Dragon, I made the sole mistake of testing out an Alchemist with the attack items and finding they did more damage than a ton skill points + grimoires invested into their elemental attacks. This, consequently, killed off my desire to fully finish the file. I'm hoping that the file this new one would be in, will finally see it through.

**I could be wrong on Point Blank working on it, but I'm fairly certain, from memory, that it's flagged as a ranged-based STR attack. Compression should work on it though.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu May 19, 2016 1:11 am

Point Blank does work with Frigid Slash.

Highlander is functionally the same as EOU, they actually haven't changed much at all. The only real noteworthy change is Bloodlust, which only triggers once per turn now which makes it garbage.

Nesmontou
Ragelope

Postby Nesmontou » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm

HA HA

I GOT HIM

UR-CHILD

MORE LIKE UR-DEAD

Hum. Sorry.

That last turn was pretty epic though. My Highlander bursting out the Cross-Delayed charge for 15k damage, my Gunner Force Bursting for 10k, my Princess doing nothing because I wasn't using any elemental attacks and I didn't need buffs, my Hexer trying an Immobile Curse to leg bind him because it was gonna do Value of Solitude. It missed. And my Landy Full Gaining the hell out of him for 12k just before it destroys us with that damned move.

I'm so happy.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 am

I lost against Gentle Toad... I should be ashamed.

Dropped him down to only 15% on my big burst damage turn, but since he has so much HP (Much like every boss in this game) I decided to boot up Limitless and Point Blank for a big Spear Assist + Charged Fire + Fire Circle (Her royal highness is back!) to finish him off.

Problem was he used Hug on that turn, which meant my Beast was fully bound... and then he decided now was a was a good time to charge up and start spamming Hydro Jump. With my Beast locked down (You can't use True Endurance when your arms are bound unfortunately), I was completely helpless.

I did beat him on my second attempt, but yeah, that first loss is just embarrassing.

sebberu
Fenrir

Postby sebberu » Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 am

Fun Fact I wanted to share with you guys:
Some time ago, I made an "auto run". In other words, EVERY fight I was engaged in was fought with autohit. Needless to say, it was on Picnic difficulty and even there some bosses got a kill or two. The party setup:
Two Landys (Double Strike, Fencer), a Highlander (mainly for Bloodlust) and two Survivalists (for out of fight shenannigans)

The main game was no problem at all (only the quest with the Frozen Petal was pretty much impossible, even with ice damage food), but postgame's was too much in the end because of its Mirror skill.
Nonetheless, it was fast and fun as hell, so I highly recommend this kind of run to anyone for a change of pace!

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:41 am

Got Scylla down to 10% effortlessly, things were going smooth and easy. Her head was bound so she couldn't do Lullaby and even better Analysis was still up so my Alchemist could lay some hurt and finish her off.

I predicted wrong however and she used Ice Shave instead of Piercing Shell like I thought (It might've been because I took out so much of her HP in one move)... so I ended up eating it unmitigated. Boy that went south fast...

I wouldn't mind this so much (I won't make that mistake again), but now I got to do that stupid ice block puzzle to lower her HP again. Aughhhhh

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:46 am

Beat Harpuia. I swapped out my Highlander and Gunner for a Hexer and Dark Hunter. It feels wrong that I'm not using a Gunner though =(

Could probably swap out my Alchemist but then I lose my favorite mob nuker. Plus Palms are actually a lot of fun. Easily my favorite elemental caster in the series.

Anyway, she was more annoying than difficult. Hexer couldn't outspeed her so she was able to get Shrill Cry off before Cranial Curse kicked in. Only my Alchemist got feared, which was annoying since she's kinda my "healer" as she has my Vampire grimoire. Went down very fast though; Soul Liberator is ridiculous.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:47 pm

I get what you mean, when I play EOII it feels wrong not having the War Magus portrait that is usually my avatar in my party. I'm about to unlock the Imperial class in EOIV which has that portrait that looks like him and I'm excited.

I might play EOII again after I finish IV. I think I was in the middle of a 3-member party run last time I should finish. EOIV is too easy and it's not scratching the itch.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:28 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:50 am

That's my secret... I'm too poor to buy new games

-PLA

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

Now that I got Persona Q out of the way, time to buckle down into this again.

Colossus was a joke. His damage buff is better than mine so I took full advantage of it. Tore him down in no time flat. Didn't bother with his stupid buff management mechanic. I used Sentinel Guard to live through Eradicate and Perfect Defense to get through King's Rush (Sentinel might've worked on that too, but didn't want to risk it). He didn't live long enough to use King's Rush or Eradicate a 2nd time.

Overlord was actually a little troublesome. I was very underleveled for the fight initially (level 54), and his Mountain Stream could OHKO my Alchemist AND Dark Hunter even with Front Guard up. Once I caught up in levels though he was a breeze.

was more annoying than difficult. First set of tentacles were probably the most dangerous since I have no way to heal my back row characters beyond consumables and Heal Guard. Battle became much more straightforward once the 2nd set showed up. Didn't even get to the 2nd half of the fight since my team is centered on burst damage. My DH's Soul Liberator literally did more damage than his max HP... crazy stuff.

Also finally took down my first post-game boss. This one being the our ol' buddy Wyvern back from EO1. He was at the mercy of my Hexer who roped up his arms and head to make his attacks much more predictable to mitigate with my Protector. I'm sure this would be much more difficult without her, but for most part he was laughably simple.

Its funny too, since Wyvern was my least favorite post-game boss in the original EO2. Giving me all kinds of headaches with his AoE paralyze.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 am

In EO games I always love the mental image of the same party who repeatedly returned to town after random encounters in the first stratum going around and just wrecking giant monsters.

-PLA

656 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight”