EOU2 expectations

Discuss the retelling/remastering of the second game.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Windywalk
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EOU2 expectations

Postby Windywalk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:25 am

I betrayed Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 expectation. It has great disappointment for me. Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 is worst series.
The problem is ruined old skills, broken NPC classicality.
The originality of game is worst.

I posted why EOU2 sucks.
(Deleted)

Edited in July 3, 2019:
I can approve EOU2 in past year. Re-rate the game.
Breath of Fire 6, Recent Mana (2013-present; Rise, Secret, etc) were developed by unrelated to original staff. Artist is also changed too, not original artist.
I have removed expectation post in blogger.
Last edited by Windywalk on Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sponge7325
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EOU2 is worst game in the series

Postby sponge7325 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:14 am

Disheartening to hear, to be sure...
Regardless! I shall hope that Atlus still localizes this! For I do not care of voices! Nor do I use Climax very often! Because I have faith! In! Etrian! Stuff! YEAHHHHHHH!
But yeah, nothing that you said that bothered you wouldn't exactly bother me all that much, honestly. Sucks to hear that you didn't like it though.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Windywalk
Ragelope

Postby Windywalk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 am

Localization will recover their voice cast and character names.
Bunch of DLC is major problem of this game.

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:35 am

Did you actually play the game to say that it sucks ?

I only see comments on the details that are known without playing, none on the actual story and gameplay. Seriously, I don't care so much about voice acting if it's bearable (overall, games are always lacking extremely good voice acting, with a few notable exceptions), reworked classes are a good thing since EO2 was the easiest game to breeze through because of broken classes and Force Skills (not that I dislike it, EO2 is my favorite in the series, but Hexer and Ronin, please ?), DLC are optionnal (Fire Emblem Awakening had a TON of them, mainly for fan service, it's still one of the best game on 3DS so far).

I'm so pissed of people pretending that a game is the worst, or a game is the best, before they can actually play it. It's like seeing comments on the new star Wars movie : "They changed the light saber shape ! Boooooooo, worst Star Wars ever ! Kill Disney !". People hyped Watch Dogs sky high, turned out it wasn't the game they expected.

Can't you just wait until you can actually put your hands on it ? It may be an enjoyable Etrian Odyssey, you know ?
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 am

As the DLC stop being optional the moment you download a single one of them, one of the DLCs is a payed one that adds in stuff that has been built in in 4 and Untold, as well as the borderline pedophiliac DLC, the shoddy, far-fetched, cliché filled story ( <-- I'm not kidding) and various other issues, I dare say, no it's not a good game.

But here's the stinger:
After Index' scandalous bankruptcy, Atlus is now listening to their marketing department more than anything, after several of the good people wandered off to other studios.
And what does the department advice them:
Cater to Otaku, instead of a broader, international audience. And Atlus does
Now, if you take into account what the term 'otaku' means in Japan, the fact that the Untold games are a disaster, objectively a disaster (there are many things you CAN judge objectively, like the utter fail at story telling and the broken balancing), and outright insult the player's intelligence, becomes less of a surprise.

Posted modified by Maxine MagicFox.

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:08 am

Nope, apparently the moment you download one (with a boss), the codex and compendium alter, and can't be completed unless you purchase the rest of the dlc.

Also, not a good idea to ridicule people for things they dislike. but you received that piece of advice several times now.

cosecant
Ragelope

Postby cosecant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm

the game's already out in Japan so let's assume OP's played it.

Atlus tried to pull a SMTIV/FE:A on this game with those DLCs, but I've noticed much less complaint about DLC from those games rather than this one. That said, DLCs aren't really necessary. I'm unsure whether QR codes have been used as a extra content for bosses/classes, maybe they could make them work but decided not to.
Otherwise, I think OP's hate is a little bit too much. They took seiyuus as a consideration, when most people would rather care about how the characters actually sound instead. A good VA/seiyuu doesn't mean that character will have a good voice.
i know absolutely nothing

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Having played FE:A, the thing with that one's DLC is simple: DLC that you pay for is usually worth its money. You get new abilities, new maps, new cutscenes, sometimes new artwork (which offers something for male and female players), etc. There's also a ton of free DLC that adds to the games story.
The Untold2 DLC so far has nothing but, well, nonsense, that comes across as half-hearted and half-arsed. Also, I'm not fully certain, but i think some of the 'new' bosses stem from PQ.

Long story short:
payed DLC that would have genuinely added to the story? yeah, that could have been worth the money. Unimportant forthelulz bosses that add literally nothing to anything? nope. payed DLC that puts stuff into the game that had been in there for free in its predecessors? nope.

I don't think the OP's hate a bit too much. With the path Atlus is going, the voiceacting isn't there to actually add anything to the game (aside from more of the idea 'the player is too stupid to notice simple things), but to lure in more otaku that'd buy anything their fav actor is in.

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:30 pm

I don't see anything wrong with the boss DLC, at least. Yeah, FE:A handled its fanservice DLC much better than this game has, but more bosses to fight is always good. :D
But it's possible that some of these DLCs will bring along new floors too, we already know about the new final superboss having a new floor, but I noticed in the EO1 Bosses DLC that Corotrangul's background is from the third stratum in EOU, so unless it was just an incorrect picture it's pretty likely that we'll have new floors too. Which is good.
But you can dislike the DLC if you want, I won't be happy about it sure, but I'm no dictator. Or at least I try not to be.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm

As it appears the 31st floor will just be a single room with the boss.
Chances are there will only be the 31st floor, and it'll change accourding to which boss you do.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Windywalk
Ragelope

Postby Windywalk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:06 pm

I've played only original EO2, I don't have 3DS but it really disappointed to make me.

Japanese version of the original EO2 doesn't have unique NPC names.
Just called as 宿屋の店員, 交易所の売り子 and etc.
They are named in English version of the EO2.

Untold 1 JP NPC names are cool, Untold 2 isn't.

War Magus no longer have draining HP/TP skills. I wanted unique status inflict with attack skills. Originality is broken.
巫剣:盲封頭斬=Blind with head bind
巫剣:毒封脚斬=Poison with leg bind
巫剣:睡攻大斬=Sleep with great damage
巫剣:恐吸大斬=Terror with draining HP
巫剣:麻封腕斬=Paralyze with arm bind
巫剣:呪吸大斬=Curse with draining TP

Is Beast became useful compared to original EO2?

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:16 pm

You know, as said elsewhere:
Untold and Untold 2 are tailored towards Otaku, not towards regular players that value good gameplay, balancing and a good, well-written story.
You really can't expect anything good to come out of this, it's like expecting something clever and enjoyable from a tv show that is made for the fans of Seltze&Friedberg movies and The Big Bang Theory.
It's waste hope

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:53 pm

What is this argument about Untold being focus on an otaku audience ? Does FE:A beach DLC made the game for otakus ? Did Agnes and Edea "revealing" costumes (censored in US and PAL versions) from Bravely Default made the game for otakus ?

Lolis and stuff are pop culture in Japan, beach and hot springs scenes are common in animes and movies (and just not for fan-service). It's cultural in Japan, and I don't talk about otaku culture (and otaku is a pejorative term in Japan).
What you accuse to be a closure, is actually an opening to a more global japanese audience. Like they did with Untold 1 : they try to open the series to a larger audience, and you're accusing them for this ?
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

MeltingPenguins
Bloodant

Postby MeltingPenguins » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:22 pm

This specific kind of catering? That is not a 'cultural' thing. That is plainly catering to otaku.
Lolis and stuff are made for otaku, not for the general audience. Someone made a wonderful essay about this, I can look up and paste here, if you like.
But saying 'oh no, this stuff is totally a-ok in japan because culture', is, well, pretty damn racist.
The hot spring thing could have been done neatly. Look at FE:A, there's a lot of contact embarrassment, but if you played it, none of the underage(looking) characters appeared naked and having an expression that could be mistaken for arousal/sexual pleasure.
Furthermore:
They didn't so much as 'open to a more global japanese audience'. On the contrary (as mentioned above, going by your text you seem to believe japan consists entirely of otaku, or that otaku are viewed as valuable member of society), they made it more cliché and stereotypical. this is not 'opening', this is removing everything unique and making the game indistinguishable from the mass. That is NOT a good thing.

44 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey Untold II: The Fafnir Knight”