Theorying: EO5 Class Mechanics from Previous Games (spoilers)

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
1 post [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
SteelCrow
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Theorying: EO5 Class Mechanics from Previous Games (spoilers)

Postby SteelCrow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:00 pm

I think sometimes on the classes of the latest fifth game in the series. Originally, I was not going to look at them until I had the game in my hands, but I caved in a couple months ago, partly from knowing having the game would be such a long wait. I still know nothing specific about the story, so playing the game should still be fresh for me at this point.

Looking through the classes, I saw the usual tanks, fighters, magic casters, healers, and such, but I noticed some other more specific things that I had seen before. To keep this from taking too much of my time, I won't write everything on my mind out at once.

Starting from the Shaman, the premier ally-buffing class in the game. For basic skills we have attack/defense boosts, magic attack property buffs, and a few other effects. These have appeared in multiple games. I could pick skills apart one by one, such as Prayer Mastery doing the same thing as Troubadour (U1 and U2) Song Mastery, but the advanced "rank up" skills demonstrate more sweeping patterns.

Recall that in EO2U, there are two buffers, Troubadour and Sovereign. How does the game handle two buffers without having them egregiously dilute one another's role? Characters still only have 3 buff slots to work with. That should remain a staple of Etrian Odyssey. Searching through the advanced skills of these classes, like White Noble and Reverb, reveals a distinct difference: Troubadours operate on the assumption that buffs will remain on allies for a long time, whereas Sovereigns rapidly apply, remove, and reapply buffs, carrying extra effects along in doing so.

The same is true of the split in advanced Shaman skills. One side is focused on keeping high-impact buffs active, and the other exchanges buffs to attack, defend, etc.

Typically, class dualities in EO5 don't split as cleanly as this. Rather, mixes and melds can be seen among the various class archetypes. Hounds summon a partner creature helps them fulfill their role in battle, somewhat like Wildings, but what the advanced skills do with the creatures seems more like Snipers on the Hawk side and more like Beasts on the Dog/Wolf/Hound side.

I may write more about other classes and my thinking later.

1 post [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”