Chain attacks?

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chain attacks?

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 am

^ Yeah, therians are the best at dodging. Though they are worse than earthrun at not having their dodging disabled, and worse at taking hits without dying.

I think brownies are a little better than earthrun at dodging, and a little more durable than therians, but if anything tangled looks at their legs they're going to have a bad time.

Dodgers are relatively good at Unity, and earthrun and brownies have some really neat uses for that.

Wind Curtain lasts for one hit, so it still needs to be reapplied frequently.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am

I hadn't considered brownies. I thought their STR was low? I suppose for simply dodging, it's fine... I was just thinking about sylphid. Countering doesn;t mean too much when it's with a wet noodle, yknow?

...Huh. In therory, yeah Sylphid should work for chains, but you really can't realistically apply both with just itself. I was excited to abuse that, too... oh well!

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 am

Brownies are terrible at Strength-based damage. They make lunarians seem impressive.

Sylphid does work. Depends on how many times the enemies even attack in the first place, though.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 am

Don't forget skills that lure attacks to selected members
Also nothing says you need run only one fencer. Build a chaser, build a sylphid. Use the lure skill on the sylphid.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Yup, it seems confirmed that like element/piercing trigger for sure now. This does mean that, with some planning and luck, you don't need Magic user for elements, and the chase skills are cheap enough, and a decent chance of 2nd follow if you have two pierced with their basic attacks. Much more useful depending on the build of the party (like many synergy skill builds)

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 pm

They do. It's any one of the two damage-types, stabbo or the other.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

I was looking around for a good place to post this method I realized, in case somebody hadn't realized it yet, so I decided to put it here. It feels like a chain style attack to me.

If you have one character totally focused on physical attack power, all the others can push that person to attack more by including him/her in a cycle of Double Attacks. One person does a Double Attack with the attacker, then next turn the next person does a Double Attack with the attacker, then next turn, same, etc.

It works because only the initiator needs a full Union gauge. Can cast Mana Heal two turns in a row by the same principle.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah, if you've got the turns to spare, it's good to use some smaller union-skills before bigger ones.
The ones with five participants carry a heavy opportunity-cost, as nobody will be left at 100.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 am

I know this is a tiny bit of a necro to this, but finally got myself phantom and played around with it a bit. But since there wasn't really an answer and I wanted to play around with it...

A fencer CANNOT chase their OWN chains with sylphid. I'm sure it was obvious they couldn't, but... there we go. Mine refuses to do any sort of follow-ups. It would obviously work with double fencer, but either it doesnt work, or my fencer is stubborn.

That said, sylphid and counter-boost are kind of awesome (2-4 hits per evade up to 1-4 evades), and I'm gonna play around and see if they can proc "Hell-slash" on a Blade Dancer Masurao.

I really, REALLY want to weaponize dodging without having to rely on the builds from people who have had the Japanese version. keeping my brain clean of that rabbit hole. gotta experience it myself

24 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”