Chain attacks?

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Katt
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Chain attacks?

Postby Katt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 am

Okay, I think I'm dumb. Playing the demo, fencer with chain attacks, but they never activate for anything. Do I need to be using an elemental attack from another character? It doesn't really say in the skill but trying to get information right now says other attacks should be triggering it.

Unless I'm completely missing it somehow, but it really looks like no extra damage happens at all.

Anyone else run into this or know what triggers them?

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Re: Chain attacks?

Postby zamisk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I don't know how many users played the Japanese version here this time around, so most of us are probably going to be figuring this out together. In EOIV the Landsknecht had link skills that activated for any other attack and did elemental damage, and chase skills in EOIII worked similarly as well. Maybe he has to be hit by something and it's more of a counter like EOII's Dark Hunter class?

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Katt
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Katt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:12 pm

I suppose I'll have to team her up with the new elemental user and find out. Was hoping to have elements without a mage this time, might also check and see if the oils work to trigger too. Thanks for the reminder!

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Check over the 3 physical damage types, too: slash, stab, bash.

The Shaman's elemental attack buffs should be great for activating it, since they target the whole party.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 am

So far *only* the warlock's skill has activated it at all. There seem to be items that give special attacks so maybe some of those too. But so far no physical elements, even blaze oil etc. have worked.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 am

Update: basic bow attack seems to trigger it as well. Unless I missed something a piercing still didn't seem to trigger it. Lots more fun experimenting to be had

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:31 am

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having problems with this. I've not had it activate at all but I've only been in three battles. Was wondering if I was missing something.

Wait, I'm confused. Did bow work or not? You say it did but said piercing didn't?

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 am

I made a party to start figuring this out, and then when one of my members got one-shot in the first battle I turned off my DS so the party EXP would be even, without having saved in the inn, because apparently I am a GODDAMN IDIOT NEWBIE to this series.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:09 am

The GF forums are talking about this, too, and people posted this which I've yet to try out but MAKES SENSE.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/893659- ... h/75776194

Post 1:
Several things that might be preventing them from working:

1) They use the legs, so if the fencer is leg bound then the chains won't activate.
2) Are you definitely using the right elements to trigger then? You need to use either stab or whichever fire/ice/volt element corresponds to the chain skill you're using. Remember that cannons deal bash damage in this game, not stab.

The first follow-up has a 100% activation rate at all skill levels, so something's definitely wrong if you're not seeing any follow-ups at all.

Post #2:
Firstly, you can only select one enemy. So if someone attacks a different enemy, they won't work.

Secondly, the trigger conditions.

1) Stab attacks can trigger chains. This includes a fencer with a point in rapier mastery, bows.

2) The corresponding element. So chain fire can be triggered using fire elemental attacks, freeze using ice, and shock using electric attacks.

So basically if your fencer uses chain fire on an acorn, you need to attack the acorn with either stab damage or fire damage. Otherwise the chain won't trigger.

[] - [] - [] - []

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 am

What I am wondering right now, is can a Fencer Chain off his own Sylphid counterattacks??? This game has such cohesive and synergizing class mechanics that I suspect the Chain- skills benefit a dodge-focused Fencer in this way.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:45 am

Does the chain effect eventually last for more than one turn?

update:
oh lol I'm an idiot. I forgot about the skill you're talking about.
There's the one skill that suggests it turns the Fencer's attacks into Bash. That seems like a painfully odd choice if the skill didn't work for chasing.

[] - [] - [] - []

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:09 am

It's supposed to be stab. And yeah, stab-Sylphid is supposed to trigger chains.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:26 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Dodge-tanking can be done. It's not super recommended to remove all of your armour, though. And a bunch of ailments can ruin your day.

Predict is a one turn effect, so it won't really be a constant factor.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:21 am

24 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”