EOV Rantage!!

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

290 posts
heprea
Diabolix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EOV Rantage!!

Postby heprea » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Topic should be all the info needed here. :P

**Modified by Maxine MagicFox: Changing Title**

Mole-chan I....

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: Demo is out folks!

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 pm

^^ Downloading it right now. Oh my god I'm sooo excited!!

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 am

Finally done with creating my team XD (that's what I get for blocking all news and portraits).

I think this is the first time I've had more males than females in an EO game. *claps*
OMG I loved all the customization. Fun and not daunting.

[] - [] - [] - []

Sigma
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sigma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 pm

I love the character customization options, but wish there was slightly more to it like being able to customize the colors on the outfits. I've probably spent around an hour messing around with it for my party and probably will end up doing the same thing again upon release. I do kind of wish they gave more than 1 generic Male/Female race portrait. However, one nice thing they did was allowing you to change the character's colorization and voice options at a whim without having to dismiss and re-create the character all over again.

Current partty is: Masurao, Dragoon, Pugilist -- Rover, Botanist

Haven't had any problems with this composition yet, but have only gotten around to doing a good portion of the second floor. Was kind of hesitant on using a Dragoon at first, but I'm slowly coming around to it. Though EO2U's Beast has completely spoiled me with that type of class. The one thing I love about Rover is being able to summon the Hound/Hawk without being in battle and it stays around until you return to town or it dies.

Endra
Fenrir

Postby Endra » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 pm

| |

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:13 am

Oh, right. It lets you reselect everything else except a new portrait. Don't get it.

XD I'm not one to get into character customization but MY GOD this one was fun. It didn't feel daunting or complicated.

[] - [] - [] - []

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 am

Finished the demo, already contemplating another run this time with a Bunker focused Dragoon. Don't know why, but was really enjoying voice 32 (elderly) on my generic Rover Therian; it was so wrong, but so good. Also, they fixed the auto-walk problem from EO2U where it wouldn't stay activated upon transitioning to other floors.

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:08 am

Talking about character creation, I am surprised that I can alter and mix race and classes together right after the first floor. I had assumed we would only be able to do that after level 30 or something, similar to Retire. Now I'm contemplating how I'll finish the first floor with some filler characters, then replace them with hybrids soon as possible. Stuff like Therian Fencer, Brouni Reaper, and Earthlian Hound sound pretty radical!

PS feel awkward about the class names. I understand the need to use unique initials (not like Hound and Herbalist) but Pugilist in particular... feels neither bold, smashing, grandiose, nor impactful.

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks to the demo coming soooo late in the night over here I was only able to barely form up my team.. and then save and try to get some sleep so that I'd not be dead at work. ^^;

And the next day was Friday which meant that I had like hour or two overall to continue the demo,

Maybe now I'll finally have some time to play the damn thing! :P

But yeah, character creation was fun and its cool they added so many new things to us play around with.

ps. Am I the only one who liked the "No sound" option when choosing "voice" for each character? ^^;;;

Mole-chan I....

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:01 pm

The races having gameplay-effects is what enables mixing builds up more, though.

Huh, they went with "Talent"? That's the opposite of "study", though.

Many of these voices are alright. No Jouji Nakata, though.
For thirty characters, I'll probably leave a bunch silent.

Can't really finish all of these until DLC, though.
Last edited by PLA on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:41 pm

As someone who could not get into subclassing too much. I love this. I don't feel like I'm being punished if I just want the straight-and-narrow nostalgic experience that I loved from the first two EO games. ^^ I've always felt that I'm more into the early-era experience with graph papers and unforgiving scenarios. Subclassing was a headache for me.

I even love that this game so far does not appear to have the upperworld elements of 3 and 4. I can just focus on the fun dungeon crawling. <3

Honestly, it's still too early to tell, but I have a feeling this is shaping up to be my favorite EO game to date. (my faves list: EO, EO2, EOU2, EOU, EO4, EO3).

[] - [] - [] - []

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 pm

So on that new run, I've decided on: Fencer, Dragoon -- Rover, Shaman, Botanist

Fencer: Plan is to nab Optic Thrust for Blind if the situation arises, get 1 of Chain Flame or Freeze, and max out Chain Shock.

Dragoon: Basically just maxes out or stops short of maxing the Bunker skill. Will probably dump any remaining points into Defense Form.

Rover: Just want to see how strong I can make the Hawk this time. Will probably have to stop at L9 in the skill because, if I recall correctly, the character did not reach 75 TP at level 10.

Shaman: Is very simple in seeding chases via bow, providing Ruinous Prayer, and Blaze/Hail/Bolt Prayer as needed for the Dragoon in seeding chases or going after any conditional drops I might have missed.

Botanist: Last time I had focused it primarily on Poison status with a hint of Blind status as needed, but this time I'll focus it on healing skills and will give it a bow to seed chasing.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Wait! These numbers changed! Did we get a rebalanced version, or is the text just wrong again like it often is?

Example: Levels are Lv 0 to Lv 9. Originally were Lv 1 to Lv 10.
Chain Shock Lv 9(new, max) costs 8 TP, with four follow-ups.
Chain Shock Lv 9(old, penultimate) costs 8 TP, with four follow-ups.
Chain Shock Lv 10(old, max) costs 12 TP, with five follow-ups.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I would just assume it's an early build version of the game. For example, there is still katakana/kanji or whatever that script is called within the actual Guild Card.

Been messing around with a gathering team testing out the racial skills on the Earthlains, created a team of 5 (3 Harbingers and 2 Dragoons). From what I've noticed the 2 new gathering points, Fishing and Harvesting, those respective racial skills do not seem to stack like the Gathering Skill does. I haven't gotten around to testing the Chop, Mine, and Take racial skills, but I would assume they would stack like they would have in the past especially since Gathering Skill seems to stack.

I'm definitely running a Dragoon in the main game and probably will be of the Bunker variety as I've been thoroughly enjoying this build more and has shown even more promise with the gathering team shenanigans.

290 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”