EOV Rantage!!

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

290 posts
Myssdii
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EOV Rantage!!

Postby Myssdii » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 am

You lack damages in your party: you have a lot of binds and ailments, but if you can't down the boss' life while it is bound, they will build resistance overtime.

Without changing your class/legendary name setup, there is a lot you can do:

- First, your Pugilist should be your main source of damages thanks to Overextension, Leading Blow and you team support. As Rover can land some binds and Necro's Wraiths or Harbinger can paralyze, you can easy set-up for a really strong Leading Blow once your target is fully bound/paralyzed.
Put 9 points into your binding punch skills and Corkscrew, max-out Leading Punch and Status Atk up, this will guarantee max Leading Blow damages and nice ailment success for binds. Get Overextension and max-it out.

- Your Harbinger can support with debuffs, you should put 9 points into Wilting and Eroding Miasma to help landing ailments and boost your damages. Max out Miasma Armor, Auto-miasma and Endless Shroud, this will allow your Harbinger to remain in permanent Miasma Armor and start the fight with it. Max out Paralysis Reap for a quick aoe paralysis (this is also a good filler skill instead of auto-attacks), and max out Ephemeral Reap. Since your party has 3 members that can land debuffs (Harbinger, Rover and Necro), you can set it up pretty quickly (every two turns, potentially).

- Rover and Shaman should take care of passive healing and buff/debuff + bind support.
For Rover, max out Hound Whistle, Aid Command and Animal Therapy. This will basically provide more passive healing to your team to help your Shaman out, and a nice spot heal through Aid Command (mainly to heal your Overextension buffed units). Then, put 9 points into Hunter Shot and Foot Pierce, and 10 points into Status Atk up. This combined to your Pugilist will allow you to quickly fully bind a foe. Max out Target Arrow for a really strong defense debuff.
Then, you can put some points into Healing Up (5 is enough, you don't have much space for more since you need racial skills as well).

- For Shaman, it is too bad your team doesn't really need Oracle Dance as you don't have elemental damages. Instead, you can just focus on the buffs you need (don't apply more than 2 prayers unless you really need to, as you need the Overextension buff on you pugilist) and the passive healing from Gospel, Appease Spirits and, eventually, Benevolence (I don't think this one is useful, since your target will be paralyzed/bound most of the time, but I'll let you judge of that). Split Spirits is a great party heal when timed right, so you could take it.

- Last, Necro. I'm not too familiar with this class, but I think Wraith Cry can be useful, because it provides a 3rd debuff in one turn with your Rover Target Arrow and your Harbinger debuffs. Wraith Dance is probably your best damage output possible, so you should take it and max it out. After that, build up your Wraith damage and survivability thanks to max Wraith Mastery and max Summon Wraith, and max out Fierce Shield so you have a protection button in case you can't land your ailments.
Then, I think Gravekeeping and Reincarnation can be good to passively regenerates your Wraiths.

Globally, you'll pretty much start the fight by trying to land your binds and paralysis with your Rover and your Harbinger (you can use the Black Mist Earthlain Union skill to give you a better chance from the go), while your Pugilist buffs himself and your Shaman buffs the party. You can have your Necro use Fierce Shield to protect your team if your ailments fail (but unlikely through Black Mist).
Then, you can complete your binds and debuffs on your target, and once you're set-up, spam Leading Blow and Ephemeral Reap as much as you can.
You can fully use Ephemeral Reap every two turns thanks to your Rover, Necro and Harbinger having at least one debuff each. You can even have your Pugilist use Overextension on your Harbinger if the binds start to fade out quickly, for a boosted Ephemeral Reap.
French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dangerus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:38 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 pm

At first I thought the 5th strata was pretty easy. The random encounters are pretty easy to shut down and other than the (Only because they have a surprising amount of HP) the FOEs are pretty weak too.

But then encountered on 25F. Oh man, do these things suck. I even saw a Rare Breed one which annihilated me.

EDIT: Final boss is wrecking me too. Though I'm almost certain its because my levels are too low and my gear is outdated. I'm level 56... which I'm almost certain is too low for him since all the FOEs are still red. Got him down to 45% though... could totally do it if my gear was up to date I bet!

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Mole-chan I....

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 pm

I keep forgetting there are more union and weapon skills :oops: I want to always have the Resuscitate skill available to revive+heal+buff someone in one turn (Aid Command can target characters who are currently dead, yay), and union gauges recover very slowly. For boss battles you can use Nectars instead of course, but that wastes someone's turn. Weapon skills are rarely worth their high TP cost, especially since you'd only use them in battles where you're already close to running out of TP on several characters, and Amritas mean more wasted turns.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Mole-chan I....

Myssdii
Fenrir

Postby Myssdii » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am

French Player :3

Current runs:
EOX: War Magus/Hero - Highlander/Pugilist - Imperial/Nightseeker | Harbinger/Survivalist - Ninja/Ronin

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 pm

My play style is "if the going gets tough, grind a few more levels" (or maybe "invulnerability first"). A character dying is a sign I'm underleveled. Unfortunately, I hit level 70 around F24/25, so since then gear upgrades are the only way to get stronger. Gear upgrades aren't as good as actual levels though. I've spent a lot of time in the sixth stratum with one or two characters dead because neither of my two Earthlains had a full union gauge and I didn't want to spend my precious Nectars or half my Necromancer's TP on Soul Trade. Two or three dead is thread time or a complete wipe if I can't run away quickly enough. The majority of my game overs happened after I reached F25/level 70.

Btw, what does changing the difficulty setting from Normal to Easy do actually? I tried it, but the only difference I see is being asked to restart before a battle if it led to a game over. Monsters seem equally tough, and stingy with drops.
Kimiko

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I found the fifth stratum boss not so hard, but maybe that's because I was overleveled?
Makes me wonder if I could beat , but it'd be a waste to do that and not get any Exp.

The Coffin was disappointing. Aside from the added skill it was immediately outclassed in the next stratum. Hallowed Shield only guards one line IIRC, and only against physical damage. Aegis Prayer/Stifling Miasma reduce both physical and magical damage for the whole party.
Black Mist requires four characters so you could only use it twice in one battle :? Wilting Miasma seems like a safer bet.
Kimiko

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Mole-chan I....

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 am

Beat the just now. Fun fight, it was like an ailment war between the two of us, made my Botanist very busy with removing them as well as making sure we don't die from poison damage. Probably easier than since he didn't get any kills at least. was also much more helpful than though her build is quite questionable... Why have you not maxed

sebberu
Fenrir

Postby sebberu » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Arrived in the 5th Stratum yesterday... It's got some vibes - I really enjoy it!

But I got two questions about the 4th stratum...

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Kimiko

290 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”