Your Opinion so Far on the Demo?

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

WillowWolf
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Your Opinion so Far on the Demo?

Postby WillowWolf » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 am

I've been playing it off and on since it came out. Almost regret starting the demo because I completely put Monster Hunter Stories on the back-burner... oops.

I love that it comes with that extra difficulty even in the regular mode- kind of afraid to change it to hardcore, actually. I started the series on EO2, so each iteration felt like it got extra easy to me. Granted, EO4 is my favorite overall, but I did wish it was a bit tougher. This one feels tougher- still have a character die every once in a while if I'm derpin off on the third floor or something.

The character customization is great, as I'm sure we've all agreed upon. I agree with Kimiko about there being a severe limitation on the skin color. Granted, I felt like for the most part I got what I wanted from the selection, but with every other color choice, seems odd to not give a color palette as well for skin.

I know Maxine said she hopes that there isn't any sub-classing, but I loved it in the other games that had it. As long as there are choices, though, I should still be fine with whatever.

The bottom screen is WAY too cluttered now. The tabbed system was, imho, way more organized. I don't see why that couldn't have just been made to be customizable... The drag tab just isn't my thing >.>

The voices, though. I picked some for my characters at first... then I promptly turned them off. Didn't sound great to me. I wasn't expecting much, really, but I just couldn't do it. Especially with that innkeeper... I can only handle so much of the same, high-pitched phrases.

I was reading the issue with no purple circle for FOEs, glad to hear that wasn't just me xD. I was looking all over for it and then I couldn't decide if that Autobot logo was for bosses or FOEs. I liked the purple circle, too, but oh well.
I still really like the demo so far, though! It did nothing to slow down my hype train from blowing right through the cons of the demo right on down until the release date.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

There is a purple circle, but it doesn't look like FOE. Annotations can be lifted off other symbols, now, that's neat.

I like that the symbols are jumbling around in a dumb drawer.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Sigma
Killclaw

Postby Sigma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Found a new feature I like, technically it can be both good and bad, you can overwrite the icons now. It's nice, in that, you no longer have to drag a wrongly taken icon to the trash can, but on the other hand you can accidentally overwrite an icon now.

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Mole-chan I....

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Mole-chan I....

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 am

Well just preordered. gonna have to wait for release day and for it to ship.

However, I've somewhat decided on my group composition. Sorta. I'm just gonna go for it and stop waffling about on it. I'm gonna sit down sometime this week and just blast through the demo and give my thoughts on it sometime..... before the full game comes out. hooray!

I gotta say though. even just 2 floors in, I really adore the music and.... maybe more divisively the art direction this time around.

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I really don't like the music, and most of the voices are quite annoying. Like 75% or so.

I was looking forward to meddling with the races but after having tried both the standard classes and then made a "reserve party" where I changed classes, I realized that almost all classes already have the most optimal race choices so the race system just seems like a big flop to me.

The basic skills seem a little bland. I was expecting more. I really hope you get access to the specializations real soon in the full game.

Map features are way worse now. Don't like.

Sidescrolling status menu. Why? Don't like. Sometimes I feel they just throw in new things to try them out, not because they're actually needed.
Last edited by Daige on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 am

I am as of now currently raising 3 teams in my party. The most leveled of my team is as follows:

Earthlain Dragoon : Therian Musarao
Earthlain Rover : Brouni Shaman : Celestrian Warlock

This is the team that at least attempted to defeat a Toxipede and almost succeeded. We were almost close too. My Earthlain Rover was at level 7 at the time.

I had a B team and C team.

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 am

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:29 am

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 am

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 am

One more thing:

I really, really, REALLY dislike that the classes don't differ in stats. Suddenly my Dragoon isn't that extremely beefy character anymore, with may more vitality than everyone else. And so on.

Nope, I definitely don't like the race system. Give me back the variable classes instead. Or at least they could make the classes matter. Now it's just a matter of skills and equipment but nothing else. All earthlains are the same. Boring.

91 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”