Your Opinion so Far on the Demo?

Discuss the fifth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

91 posts
Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Your Opinion so Far on the Demo?

Postby Dangerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:49 pm

A small update. I said this on another topic but I made a C-Team. I edited out and a Brouni Rover survives more. It is a good day.

C-Team Setup:
Celestrian Harbinger - Therian Masurao - Therian Pugilist
Celestrian Botanist - Brouni Rover

So I only have one 'Hound' in the Guild roster and I kind of wish we had one for each Rover with the 'Hound Whistle' skill.

SteelCrow
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SteelCrow » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:08 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 am

As someone who spends more time mapping out stats, SP, and other synergies, the cross-class system I would agree is a step down. Though I also would disagree that every class is "best filled" by their native race.

It's much more limiting to have only 4 stat spreads instead of 10... though, let's be honest here, in terms of stats on another class... well, the alter class option hasn't always been the most usable in previous installments.

That said.... I just don't like the brouni in particular. It feels as if THEIR classes are better filled by others- named Celestrians. I haven't played with a shaman yet, but I would think having a higher TP, INT, and STR would help them far better than the extra WIS, HP, and VIT. Depends on how expensive their skills are...

Botanist, on the other hand... The additional LUC and TP are well worth the drop in WIS. sure, you heal for less, but suddenly you have access to the other HALF of botanists: Smoke. On top of that, you have the better TP, meaning you last longer in the dungeon and have better odds in a fight.

I'm not wowed by earthlains, either... their TP pool is abyssmal...which severely cripples their fighting ability. though, I am warming up to them thanks to their healing union skills. there's also been more than a few ways to abuse TP regen in dungeons, too.

Therians and Celestrians are my favorite races right now by quite a margin.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Yep, shield-dragoons get up to 28 extra Vit, for example. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Brownies don't have the best stats, but they have some high quality union-skills.
Earthrun also have great unions, but perhaps more importantly, most of their stats are very robust. As long as you can provide enough TP, they will perform.
They're overall more reliable meatshields than anyone, are less likely to be hindered by status-effects, hit reasonably hard, and I remember someone earlier in the year running into the issue that the earthrun Luck-stat went so high that it seemed unnecessary for some skills.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 pm

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:29 am

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Part 2: The Therian-ing.

Therians have their weakness in that department. While their VIT is lower than the other races, their HP is not. Additionally, they have a better AGI, which is tied to evasion. With thei 3rd highest TP score(or second lowest?), I actually feel that, stat-wise, Therian is the most "balanced" race of the 4. Something usually filled by the humans. I feel a celestrian is a much glassier cannon.

That said, it's the combination of stats that really makes the difference for the physical classes. LUC plays a huge role in harbinger and Pugilist, and VIT is important for dragoon. Yet Fencer, Masurao, and Rover value the much, MUCH higher STR and AGI scores. TP especially for Rover.
Another example: if you decide to forgo ailment on your harbinger and go support, suddenly LUC isnt valuable and TP and AGI are... and you might want a therian in that slot suddenly.

Earthlain... I'm warming up to compared to Therian, but it feel like more work to keep them consistent. That lower TP score is a real annoyance. For this comparison, It really can go either way, both fill their roles well. For me, it just ends up being the undoubtedly better union skills and role vs. the generally better spread out stats.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 pm

If it hasn't changed, Luck is also likely used in the evasion-formula.
The googledoc doesn't account for racial-skills, btw. So lunarians just keep piling on more Int, et c..

Yeah, the cost-difference and efficiency between builds of the same class can vary a fair bit.
A reapo-man making full use of the ice-attack will run out much faster than a debuffer and healer. Which of the more expensive skills you decide to nah, and how frequently you'd expect them to be used, are important factors.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Yknow, actually typing this all out gave me an Idea....a Brouni Dragoon. its a massive hit do STR, but not quite a dire hit to VIT/HP for the benefit of much greater TP and the different unions. Is it worth it? I dunno. Might be a fun thing to play around with

Daige
Ragelope

Postby Daige » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 am

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 am

91 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth”