EMD Rantage!

Discuss the first spin off EO game crossed with Mystery Dungeon.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

178 posts
Jarelo
Ragelope

Re: EMD Rantage!

Postby Jarelo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:00 am

The music in this game is starting to drive me crazy. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but listening to super tense dungeon music for a few hours at a time as I'm slowly progressing and doing all the quests is going to end up giving me a heart attack. I usually play Etrian Odyssey games to relax with the music, so I hope that the dungeons after 5 (where I am right now) have more soothing music.

Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fluffernuff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 am

i havent really USED my medic much at all, honestly. ESPECIALLY as a lead. i will eventually, but they havent been a priority for me QUITE yet... so i cant say much on the strike skills..

i WILL however say that landy makes for a good "back up" or "secondary" meat shield should you get the iron wall AND max out the "Break" skills. thus far (up to the 5th dungeon) those breaks have been enough to drop the damage down to single digits even WITH vanguard active... for what it's worth.
I dont imagine medic being a TANK by any means, but medium armor DOES put in work and access to like 4 more stat slots from shields isnt a terrible thing to have. which is why i brought those up.

seriously. shields are SOOO GOOOOD in this game. they can freaking replace accessories

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Ordered my copy today, even though my 3DS touch screen is it a bit of a mess. I'm really stoked.

I'm probably going to take a page from my usual IE game lineup. One melee, everyone else ranged. I'm thinking of Protector, Gunner, Hexer and Runemaster. Considering my experience with MD type games though, having multiple melee characters is actually pretty undesirable anyway.

Posts from here seem to imply Medic can go on the front lines though, so I could use that instead of a Protector. I'll probably have to play the game myself to find out if that's worth doing or not.

Dangerus
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dangerus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Really?

My Protector and Dancer kick ass together. Having a Medic must be what keeps them alive. And finally the Hexer does crowd control. Just... Expect to get a Landsknect as your first Guild member. You can expel him or her or you can keep him or her for shenanigans reasons. I... Hate Landsknects so that tutorial dungeon drove me crazy.

In the meantime, I also love my other teams set up.

Team 2
Sovereign - Seyfried
Ninja - Kaede
Medic - Hermione
Wanderer - Quincy

Team 3
Wanderer - Logrohol
Ninja - Ayaka
Gunner - Irachov
Dancer - Django

I might switch Logrohol with Quincy because I just mixed my Buccaneer, Alcohol with .

I might also make a new team that are basically adventurers picked up in the dungeon. This will also include *sigh* A Landsknect. I like Raymundo's design though so I might make some backstory on why he is there. I also had to deal with picking up a greedy dancer (I already also have a dancer with his coloring named Django. Creepy.) instead of a medic, which are vital to keeping the team of front runners from dying. I wish we can have an even amount of team members because Holy Crap, I am sad I could not get a dungeon medic.

Team 4(?)
Landsknect - Raymundo
Dancer - Josephina
Medic (Hopefully?)

Teams are so fun though. I love that you can grind everyone else while we adventurers do the main business. Rescue missions might also help us live.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 am

So far my team seems to be doing sufficiently. Can't complain.

Landsknecht
Gunner
Runemaster
Medic

My "leader" sorta jumps. Walking around I'm usually my landy. But I like to corridor hover and the back group doesn't act if I do that (they are stuck in the tunnel I guess). So as soon as I run into enemies I will switch to either my Gunner or my RM depending on the enemy types.

I just started the 4th dungeon. :( I don't get much time to play.

[] - [] - [] - []

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 am

Wait. How do we get into the fourth dungeon? I am scared...

I might post my boyfriend's idea for his party.

WingedMedic and I actually inserted ourselves into the game just because. The difference is, I am a Protector with a male portrait (They don't really have any girls with really short black hair like I do so that was my only choice; I don't want to play as a Landsknect). While in my game I am a Wanderer who uses a wig as a disguise (his words not mine). If anyone wants to discuss it, you can.

Jarelo
Ragelope

Postby Jarelo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:51 am

Every time I play Etrian Odyssey, I can never name any of my characters with real names because it just feels weird for some reason since the characters don't look real. I usually come up with a different naming pattern for each run of a game I do, or I ask others to come up with one for me. For EMD a friend told me to go the weeaboo route and just put -chan on each class, but I had to change some due to the character limit. Land-chan, Wan-chan, Sov-chan, Nin-chan, Dank-chan (dancer), Tank-chan (protector) and so on. I usually just use other people's patterns that they suggest because I don't like coming up with them on my own :(

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:18 am

That is fine.

It was the first time I actually did that for an Etrian Odyssey game admittedly. I guess it is different?

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 am

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:14 am

I only have kunoichis though. However I wish they had the other alternate design they had for them; I especially found it more practical than the one they chose. However that doesn't mean I hate it.

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Okay, so here are my first impressions, coming from a guy who's only at dungeon 3 so far.

First off, let me just say, I LOVE that all your characters level up even when you aren't using them. I didn't dislike that you couldn't do that in most Etrian games, but it still is really nice to have around in this game. At first I thought that the combat and stuff was boring, and honestly I wasn't expecting much in the first place anyways because I've played two Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and honestly pretty much hated them. After playing for a while though, it feels like Etrian Mystery Dungeon just does it right, though. My only real gripe was when I died to the first boss, I didn't get the same feeling that I get when I lose in a normal Etrian game. In those games, if you died, yeah, it could be annoying if you did a lot but forgot to save and have to do it over again, but I always didn't feel like it was not still fun to die (Odd as that sounds). In EMD, though, it just feels annoying, there's no fun to dying. Which is honestly probably how it should be anyways. Other than that, yeah, this game is pretty dang good!

My current team I'm running is a Landy, Medic, Gunner, and Hexer. Although, I will be replacing the Medic with a Prince (I don't care what anyone else thinks, they will always be Prince/Princess in my heart) once he gets enough training in the Fort to get around my current parties level, though that might be a bad idea in the long run, I just HAVE TO HAVE LORD EDWARD IN MAH TEAM. Plus, once I get him in, my team will literally be EO4, EO3, EO2, EO1, which sound so cool. And if Lord Edward just doesn't work out (Even though he will work because I WILL MAKE HIM WORK), I've always got every other class leveling up on the sidelines (Except for the Wanderer, I'm waiting to find somebody in the Labyrinth who's a Wanderer so that I can invite them, because why not it sounds fun).
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 pm

there's a few things i should note that I've been testing (along the other points i've brought up) about Prince(ss). ESPECIALLY if you plan on replacing your medic with them.
Prince(ss) as healers have 3 MAIN drawbacks:
1: They very often wont affect themselves with their Orders. if theyre your healer, youll STILL need to bring things like medicas, or healing scrolls for THEM specifically. Amritas are darn near required because of this. theyre prone to "waste" orders which just dumps TP.

2: Their Healing values are "fixed". from what I can tell, Reinforce heals a FLAT 23 damage. Protect order SEEMS to scale off of max HP. i had a mishap where my prince(ss) was confused by a DOE and they managed to protect order the DOE.... they regen'd for over 200HP. yet reinforce still healed for the 23 (at 5/5)

3: they have NO removal. The best they have is Prevent order to STOP them, but once youre poisoned, paralyzed, asleep, confused, etc.? theyre boned. they have NO options. This is why Protectors are literally their BEST friends(because protectors have refresh!)

also, Reinforce can heal enemies, but only iff the Protector debuffs an enemy. this is POSSIBLE, but rare, as they would have to resort to using items or weapon forges..... OOOOR confusion(which is a BIT more common). this isnt TOO bad, though since reinforce IS a flat, non-scaling heal.

All that said, they are the most reliable group-wide healer, and are a bit more useful BEYOND simply healing. but they have some drawbacks

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:29 am

Neat little things of information. I might learn that more since that was one of my favorite classes in EO3 and it looks to me like they are being used as helpful in a team that has those kinds of things.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 am

I'm so addicted to this game it's really not even funny.

I'm working on my second squad. I want a "rescue/fort" team. Plus I'm still trying to get that item for the first appreciation feast quest (I got the item for the second! ... the hell... I did look it up and it turns out to just be a rare drop).

I'm debating, I think I might go with my second squad as Wanderer, Ninja, Sovereign, and Protector. SO MANY CHOICES! omg... I worry though this team might not have much attack power. If not I may switch protector out for another runemaster.

[] - [] - [] - []

178 posts

Return to “Etrian Mystery Dungeon”