DON'T TURN OFF YOUR GAME

Discuss the first spin off EO game crossed with Mystery Dungeon.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Jarelo
Ragelope

DON'T TURN OFF YOUR GAME

Postby Jarelo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 am

If you turn the game off when you're anywhere in a dungeon, when you turn it back on later it will count as a defeat and you will lose most of your items and equipment.

I walked into a dungeon, and on the first floor, I decided I didn't want to play anymore at the moment. I turned it off, thinking it would take me back to my previous save: in Kasumi's inn, as if nothing happened. To my surprise I lost most my stuff when I booted the game back up. It makes sense, I guess, because Atlus didn't want you to reset if something bad happened since a lot of this game is random (hence: "mystery") and it definitely explains the autosave feature.

Sorry for the somewhat clickbait-y topic name; I felt that this is something that people playing this game should definitely know.

Edit: there is a suspend save option, but I didn't do it since I was only on the first floor and hadn't accomplished anything. I still think this is fairly important for people to know while playing this game.
Last edited by Jarelo on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DON'T TURN OFF YOUR GAME

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:18 am

it's something worth knowing, and warning about. It's not something the game tells you, and it is CERTAINLY very heavy-handed, and admittedly petty to do so. y'know, since the player is given no warning...

HOWEVER, this is also easily avoidable/dealt with. Simply closing the 3ds system (putting it into sleep mode) will NOT impede your progress and DOES NOT count as a failure. and if you really MUST shut down the game for whatever reason, it isn't too demanding to use an Ariadne Thread, no? All the more reason to carry 1, I suppose...

Certainly not a high mark for the game for those used to turning off their games, but easily prevented/avoided.
Except if you're turning off your game to prevent a wipe. In which case, shame an you. dishonor to you AND your family! TAKE YOUR DEFEAT WITH HONOR!!! TAKE IT LIKE THE TRUE HERO YOU'RE EVEN PLAYING THE GAME TO BE!!!

Wolfie
Ragelope

Postby Wolfie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:30 am

Does the game not feature a suspend?
If you die in the Labyrinth do you die in real life?
[]

Jarelo
Ragelope

Postby Jarelo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:32 am

Itaan
Ragelope

Postby Itaan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:59 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:08 am

Yeah. The Guildmaster gives you a pretty clear warning, actually. More than once, no? Or was it someone else that mentions it as well.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:09 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Itaan
Ragelope

Postby Itaan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:22 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 am

Hm. i dont recall the warning, myself, but if its stated, and my own derpiness glossed over it, then even less against the game for those that have an issue with that "mechanic".

i mightve just skimmed over it or blew it off on account that if i ever stop playing a game, 99% of the time i'll just close it up into sleep mode, or actually save before turning it off anyway.

i apologize for misinformation :c

(My response, however, still stands, dangit!!)

junklo
Ragelope

Postby junklo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:36 am

I really can't remember a warning either, but I can't tell if I just missed it or it wasn't explicitly said.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 am

I like the mechanic in the sense that... I just reset as a lazy way out of everything with other games and it takes away a great amount of the consequence and meaning in an event knowing I can fire away as many tries as I want.

Honestly, I've found the game too forgiving relative to the rest of the overall meticulousness required. That is to say, if they are going to have this "all or nothing" system, they were certainly generous with ways to avoid a full wipe. If the rest of the game didn't feel so hardcore, I would not pick on this element, so I'll leave it at that.

The only questionable thing that has bothered me is hypnotism: Not only will your character start to drop equipment and throw valuable items all over the place, but you can't control your party until they regain control. You can counter it with a Sovereign, the right equipment and possibly a future recipe I don't have yet... Though the solution to the problem is not as fun as other problems the game throws at you. Think hypnotism would still be adequate enough of a threat if the hypnotized character did not have access to your inventory.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:36 am

Honestly with as forgiving as this game is, I'm shocked people are complaining about it like this. It's not even a "you lose all your items". I died and only one item was missing from each of my characters. Not to mention most of the best items are purchasable AND money is easy to come by.

.... Really? You guys are complaining? Try getting down to floor 10 of a 15 floor dungeon with only two ways to escape: to beat the boss or a "ariadne thread" item that is incredibly rare and you don't have. THEN you find THAT sword. A +500str weapon. O_O oooooooh. Except the durability is limited. If you can escape the dungeon you can fix the durability issue at the blacksmith.
But then you hit Floor 11. SWARMS OF ENEMIES and you without any means of escape. CHOICES: Do you stand and fight and horde your item and possibly risk dying and losing this precious item. OR Do you equip the weapon and fight the good fight. Survive, win... and lose this holy grail of weapons when it breaks. OR Do you analyze the room, spend ten minutes plotting your escape, see if you can bypass the monsters and make it to some sort of freedom. Who knows what's on this floor. Maybe you'll find an ariadne thread or something else that will save your ass.

Seriously in a typical rogue like levels mean nothing. It's all about the items. Hence why the YOU LOSE EVERYTHING mechanic is so devastating. This game lacks that. It's woefully watered down. Fun but definitely a poor rogue-like experience.

[] - [] - [] - []

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:51 am

I.... don't recall ever COMPLAINING about anything... i had a bit of a knee-jerk rant about Princ- err.. Sovereign, but other than that...

I actually LIKE the idea of losing things like gear when you ultimately die a horrific greivous death. it DOES add legitimate risk when youre unprepared, or woefully outmatched.

I've found that EMD is in a weird sorta... "Limbo" as it were. its not challenging to a Mystery Dungeon or rogue-like player.
It's incredibly challenging(or called "unfair") to those who are accustomed to..... lets say the "typical" standard difficulty of games now
So i feel its criticized a bit unjustly from both points, myself.

For what it's worth, it's fun. its honestly a really relaxing game with its fair share of really intense moments. i cant remember the last time where i was awake until 3-5 am telling myself out loud "just 1 more floor!" or "I can't put the game down on that note!"
it's never really been from the difficulty(or lack thereof), though... I've just enjoyed it so much

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:39 am

^ And I agree with that. A lot. I love the exploration feel of the game, too. ^_^ I think it's a really good mix. For my part I do wish the difficulty was just slightly more ramped. I think it's pegged down just a bit too much, but I'm not going to hold it against the game. So far I'm giving the game a B+ rating.

[] - [] - [] - []

Jinggo
Ragelope

Postby Jinggo » Mon May 11, 2015 12:22 am

Oh hi! The first thread I read for this forum was this thread and do you know what I did just prior to reading this thread? Yup I turned off my game at the start of a dungeon. Well you know what they say knowing is half the battle. LOL. I'll probably be starting over anyway. I think I've started over on every Etrian Odyssey game after learning the ropes.

15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Mystery Dungeon”