Sexism Against Men

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

153 posts
noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Sexism Against Men

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:24 am

...wait did you just compare women not letting men enter baking competitions with rape or what

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 am

That was... a really bad analogy, Garrett.

Noodles, your post was honestly so incredibly sexist I am having trouble coming up with a coherent response.

Also, I don't think this is particularly important, but nothing was said about baking competitions.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am

yeah but men are 1000% more sexist so i'm gonna tell them to stop before i tell women to stop

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 am

For one thing you made this out to be women being sexist against men, instead of people being sexist against men (and of course people being sexist against women). But for added emphasis, I have taken the majority of your first paragraph and changed it up a bit.

The following does not in any way reflect my own views in the slightest.

If men are sexist, it's more prudent to do what you can to keep your fellow women from giving them an argument. Once they don't have an argument, then you can show them they are wrong. But it's a simple fact that they do, women in our society have been historically submissive. It's entirely understandable for men to be overly-assertive to women if they honestly believe women tend to be submissive. That doesn't make it right. But it's realistically what's going to happen. In fact, it's silly to expect otherwise. And as long as we're at that stage, telling men how to act is just arrogant (unless they are your close friend or somethin). If women change how other women act, then the extreme sexist opinions towards them will also diminish naturally as the world moves towards equality. There will always be ridiculous people out there, but for the first time ever, men will be able to look at history and say "no, women aren't usually subservient anymore". Right now, we aren't at that point.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 am

I'm not following, Noodles. If it happens to both men and women, and it's not reprehensible when we do it to men, then clearly it is not reprehensible when we do it to women. Is that what you're saying? Because that's the only logical conclusion I can come to from your line of thought.

We do it to women. It is reprehensible. We do it to men. It is reprehensible. I'm not sure how you can agree with each part of that except the fourth.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:16 am

I think I can kind of understand taking issue with having your plight denied or ignored. Reminds me of a lengthy debate I had recently where a man tried to tell me that female gamers don't catch any flack from the "boys club" majority of gamers, or if they do it's super miniscule and harmless and we shouldn't be so sensitive about it. Which makes total sense and completely aligns with my personal experience 100%. /sarcasm Oh, and according to him there really aren't that many lady gamers out there because they just aren't into it. Games are a guy thing. AND despite my showing him studies proving that almost half the gamer population is in fact female, he refused to believe that those ladies are anything but exclusively "casual gamers." As in Farmville or Angry Birds only, so they don't really count. :/

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 am

Pretty much that exactly, yeah.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 am

uuuuugghghgh

the only thing i'm saying men should do differently is not be dicks to women! i'm not saying they should dress a certain way to not offend them or something.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 am

None one should be a jerk to anyone! Me being a man and them being women has nothing to do with that.

Also please don't use genitalia as an insult.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:31 am

Is the problem that he said a gender-based insult? Would me calling someone "genitalia" as an insult be equally offensive as "dick" or "cunt" in your opinion? This is a serious question.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 am

Hm.... let me think on this one.

After thinking on it a while, I am unsure if I would find "genitalia" as offensive, but I would still find it offensive enough to ask that it not be done. I really don't like the idea of associating genitalia, either in the generic or the specific, with badness. When you denote a specific organ, it also makes it feel sexist.
Last edited by Reynard-Miri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 am

Rey, lots of curse words are good things that we use in a bad way. Is your problem an aversion to strong language? I think I remember you saying the f-word before, isn't sex a good thing used as a curse word?

I'm derailing this slightly because I'm interested where the problem with Noodles saying "dick" came from and it doesn't really need it's own thread. You said that making it gender-specific also made it feel sexist, but said that just using "genitalia" was still offensive. Why does this offend you when other swears don't? I'm not trying to attack you, I just find this interesting.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

153 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”