Capital Punishment

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Capital Punishment

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Killing someone for revenge is EXACTLY what capital punishment is. It changes very little, except to offer some sort of justice to the family of the victims. I would argue that 40-50 years in a prison environment would be more of a punishment, due to mental trauma, torment, etc.
Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:03 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:45 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:08 am

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 am

I still have serious doubts on it's effectiveness as a deterrent.
Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:22 am

As a general deterrent, its effectiveness is debatable at best. As a specific deterrent, however, it's hard to beat that track record.

Wolfling
Ragelope

Postby Wolfling » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

If ever been like that( which I already have), I won't kill the criminal, not because I'm scared mind you guys but because its "harder to live than to die" if I kill him or her it be like letting him/her escape, my solution let him/her live, not as freely of course, we need assurance he/her won't do it again, I propose to disable him/her like cut his arm or anything that he can use to offend and let him live to regret her/his crimes

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:26 pm

State sanctioned maiming? That's pretty brutal.

I can't say I'd ever advocate for a society that, say, cuts off the left hand to brand a thief. Honestly I have the same problems with it as I do with killing. There shouldn't be any irreversible consequence for any conviction. Someone in prison for life can be set free if they are later found innocent. Someone who is killed can't be brought back. So someone crippled with a lifetime of difficulty from having their hand removed wouldn't be able to get it back if they were proven innocent. Even if they did do it, and served 25 years in prison for murder, truly regret their crime and are ready to integrate into society, they can't, because they are disabled and branded a criminal.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 pm

My mother is big on punitive over rehabilitative, but she expects a lot of false convictions, due to incompetence and malice, that will need fixing later.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:39 am

Honestly I can't imagine a society where I wouldn't find a reason to kill every person eventually. So I'd rather it just not be an option.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 am

It might be nice if society as a whole did everything I wanted, but there's no particular reason for people to do that.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

71 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”