Teaching Self-Esteem

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Centurion_Beta
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Teaching Self-Esteem

Postby Centurion_Beta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:11 pm

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 pm

A very interesting topic, Beta.

One thing I'd like to suggest, if you haven't gone down this avenue already, is to consider the generational context. As you probably already know, generations will shift cultural values by how they react to the previous generations. I can't vouch for the site as a whole, or the works of Strauss and Howe, but this page seems relevant: .

Hope this helps!

Centurion_Beta
Ragelope

Postby Centurion_Beta » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 pm

That's true, one thing I have thus far failed to consider is that generational context, known as the Cohort Effect in psychology jargon. Although I have yet to find anything that explicitly addresses it, it does bring to mind a quote from Robert Bly's 1996 book, The Sibling Society:

"The teaching is that no one is superior to anyone else; high culture is to be destroyed, and business leaders look sideways to other business leaders. The sibling society prizes a state of half-adulthood, in which repression, discipline, and the... impulse-control system are jettisoned. The parents regress to become more like children, and the children, through abandonment, are forced to become adults too soon, and never quite make it."

And slightly later:

"Younger and younger children are brought onto talk shows; and they are told that their opinions and observations are important to everyone. This singling out of the very young to be celebrities or sources of wisdom is really a form of child abuse."

So to some degree, one could argue that the cohort effect is diminished because the older cohort is becoming like the younger cohort, causing role reversal and inevitable damage. However, that is yet to be seen (as cohort effects are usually only diagnosed in hindsight) and I don't want to draw conclusions off of only one opinion. But I appreciate the input, thanks. :)

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:08 pm

4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”