Random Debate Topics

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Random Debate Topics

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 am

[] - [] - [] - []

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:14 am

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am

[] - [] - [] - []

KitsuAccalia
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby KitsuAccalia » Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Many things about the kitsune is mercurial, from their moods to their treatment of humans, to even the abilities some possess. Kitsune have a depth of personality as deep or even deeper than those of other Japanese characters. The reason for this, according to one source, is that the kitsune is the Trickster, in Japanese culture. They are there to teach those around them lessons.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri May 21, 2010 7:32 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:15 am

Sounds like you had the same as me in that regard Kino. I sprung up in bed, saying it was time to go into the operating room and get it done and promptly collapsed again. My mother laughed at me. It's hard to realise x amount of time has passed.

Personally, I'd always choose the general over local if possible. Its too weird to be able to see people cutting you or whatnot and have awareness of that, only to feel no sensation. 'Spose its fine for the dentist.

But despite all of its shortcomings, at the end of the day, surgery is a risk to your life; and having anasthesia is merely topping on the cake, and it has always seemed to me that the ends justify the means.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:

http://detarame.wordpress.com/

KitsuAccalia
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby KitsuAccalia » Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Okay, random debate time.
(See if this ever get's posted about XD)
Windows Vs. Macintosh ???
Where do you stand and why?
Many things about the kitsune is mercurial, from their moods to their treatment of humans, to even the abilities some possess. Kitsune have a depth of personality as deep or even deeper than those of other Japanese characters. The reason for this, according to one source, is that the kitsune is the Trickster, in Japanese culture. They are there to teach those around them lessons.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue May 25, 2010 2:05 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue May 25, 2010 3:06 pm

wut.

To be more serious, I suppose, Windows for gaming, Macs for anything else. Macs are considered the more professional device as far as pretty much anything goes (documents, file/video editing) and I'm really curious as to how you find them less organized than a PC (especially when that's more-or-less a user issue, not an OS one).

[spoiler]For the record, I own no non-touch Apple device and I regularly give shit to my roomate for being a diehard Apple fanboy. I just find your "Windows = Professional, Mac = Fratdouche" comparison a little silly.

Though, I'll give you that it fits the Microsoft vs Apple image (professional and/or dorky vs "cool, hip") but that's mostly due to Apple's touch devices line-up and general marketing strategy.[/spoiler]

KitsuAccalia
Fenrir

Postby KitsuAccalia » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 pm

I see, well i still stand firm when i say Mac generally does look unprofessional.
To me it's at best sub-par meanwhile windows sucked when they brought up Vista and then immediately returned to it's former glory with Windows 7

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 pm

It's so weird seeing defense of Windows.

I think I'll sleep on it and wonder if I shall return to this bizarro world.

[spoiler]Incidentally, why was there no Unix-based OS option? I figure there's someone here who likes Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and any of the 3872195732857 other ones.

As far as gaming (and, to an extent, media playback as VLC is horrible and it's the best Mac and Linux option) I like my Windows. As far as "getting shit done," Macs have the best software support for that. As far as everything else (h4x, security, hardware efficiency, "do what I want," etc.), some variation of Linux is the best (I prefer Ubuntu if only for the fact it's the only one I've used regularly).

Edit: PLUS LINUX IS FREE !1!1!! I'm not a big fan of the homebrew nature of most distros (rather, I'm not a big fan of it being the OMGTHISISWHYAWESOME) but that's another "plus" to many; open-source yadda-yadda-blah-blah if I hear this argument anymore I will punch babies etc. Anyway, the point of this was that, yes, Linux distros have their variants of pretty much any professional level software (and Windows tends to have a clone too) but most are better/originally Mac software.

To be fair, though, Windows and Macs are the more "streamlined" and user-friendly OS; Macs are just more-so streamlined. But, to deny that Macs have better "Office"-related software support is a little farfetched. Certainly not the OS of choice for a tech-related field (i.e., coding, ironically most computer-based fields too) but it certainly wins out in the business sector field/"normal office work."

Edit: All that said, I'd probably never use a Mac-based desktop over a Windows desktop but I'd definitely take a Mac Laptop hands down over any running Windows. They're just better designed and, if I'm using a laptop, I need it as a portable office-y device, not a portable gaming/media machine.[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 pm

There's a reason I chose the "frat boy" image. Every once in a while the system just seems like it's suddenly cleaned up and shaven and does something that really surprises and impresses me. There's a lot of unique features that it's capable of doing, but... once the "job interview" is done - it's back to its teenage beer-guzzling self and I remember why I HATE the damn thing so much.

And really it's only now that I see it starting to merge more with windows that I like it even more. Before I wanted to throw the fucking mouse across the room for lack of right-click. I wanted to kill the USB ports for being on the keyboard only and more than too many times they would get "locked up" - they just wouldn't register that I had put a flash drive in. >_< And once the goddamn thing even corrupted and crashed my flashdrive!! :O

I also cannot STAND the desktop layout. I HATE HATE HATE the buttons at the bottom of the screen (aka: the DOCK). After finally turning that hideous scroll over resize feature, I then had/have to contend with the idea that a little almost hidden blue light means the program is still up and running.

I also hate the upper toolbars across the top of the screen (I forget the official name for them). I wish I had a dime for every time I was trying to do something in a program but accidentally clicked on the desktop, and the desktop's system toolbar was now up instead of the one I needed. *sigh* ... deep breath... Penna... breathe!

At the same time, I cannot judge 100%. The Macs I have used have been on campus for sole class use and I have never had the opportunity to play around with it to the point that I was able to learn and control its many MANY idiosyncrasies.

Still, to me, its continued lack of .exe support is the big detering factor against ever getting one. I feel like "I" should be the one to tell me computer what features I do and do not want. If I want to download something onto my computer, what file extension it is should NOT matter.

So, I will tolerate a Mac for professional work use, but at home, *huggles her PC* I will always be a PC lover. And the stupid iTouch, iPad, iFUCKINGCONTROLEVERYTHING is just a lot of bullshit to me. None of it ever impresses me and it just seems like a lot of flash, a lot of gimmick, without a lot of real value.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 am

All I'm getting from this is that the "best OS" is simply subjective since it mainly, if not fully, depends on the user's tastes, and the only agreement both sides can truly reach at this rate is both systems have their faults (so they're both right and wrong).

...But, then again, that's how most debates work...

20 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”