Religion/Spiritual Beliefs

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

beekee
Ogre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby beekee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:29 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:33 am

There's believing in a religion with a rational view, and there's this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzjjxi7f0Oc[/youtube]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SAL
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SAL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:20 pm

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 pm

That's a nice post, and I can definitely appreciate it.

On a related but different note though, I personally think that "religion" and "science" aren't actually at odds with each other. We, in our limited understanding of the subject nature of each, may sometimes think that they are. But logic dictates that both paths are ultimately leading to the same destination.

The only real question we should really be asking is: what is that destination? And that's an answer that (as of now at least) we need to enlist philosophy in order to appropriately explore.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:52 am

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Re: Religion/Spiritual Beliefs

Postby Twat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 am

As was exposed in another thread, I am a rather loose follower of Wicca.

The funny thing is I had very well followed the religion without even knowing about it for the longest time. It was like "these are the beliefs I have had all my life, I wonder if a religion matches it", and then it turns out Wicca was nothing like I had imagined. Whenever I had met someone who openly declared that they are a witch, they talk of going to covens, practising spells and having a strong connection to a black book... nothing I could ever quite grasp or relate to.

Then I found out Wicca is about believing in a strong natural connection between all things... something you can truly feel. We are all one. Anyone, even those who would want to bring you down because of your religion, should be accepted in a way you would accept yourself. Very hard to explain what I am getting at that separates Wicca from many religions with similar beliefs, especially when I start to add in some of the darker tendencies that go along with it. It is a very open religion in that sense. I believe things such as seduction and bravery spells are entirely psychological in nature, but I do not shoot down those who practice those things and maintain an open mind. If you are producing results, then you are succeeding.

What makes it all the more amusing it that I have always been declared as a "witch" based on my living style. A very mystical air about a person who recluses away from society into their hovel, where they spend much time mixing natural medicines, talking to plants and taking part in very (mentally) enchanting rituals. What I am saying is that it amuses me to end up going from a figurative witch to the more literal sort.

I have met many interesting people ever since I started to wear the pentagram. They claim I am spiritually gifted. Many of them say my ability to read and charm people is one of said gifts, though I feel it is merely intuition and emotional intelligence. Being able to just know even the most obscure detail about somebody at a glance... eh. Suppose I do not have a scientific explanation for it, aside from just being lucky. My strong rapport with nature is merely just out of not being obnoxious. Animals listen to me and pets will obey me over their masters because I am not being an idiot. I can continue to write-off any special qualities I have with some explanation for it, but there is not really any satisfaction in that. Just take what I have and move on with it instead of thinking about how it is possible. Do not really care.

The religion also just tends to support the things that matter to me. While it is just generally accepting to people of every sort, I find Wiccans favour homosexuality. Probably due to the nature of covens and ritual, or just reaching out to deviation. Going on from that, Wicca tries to really shine a light on the shadows... and expose things that are really not so bad as long as you maintain an open mind. While it should go without saying, it is well in touch with nature. As I have expressed many times, I sit very well with the natural world. To be more obscure, it also empowers bonding, good health and making the most out of what we have. The fact you can wander into the woods, skye-clad, and hold a ritual there without any sort of possessions, holds a strong contrast to religions which involves churches and holy objects. Which is not to say Wicca does not have such things. Wicca has many objects that represent one thing or another. I myself keep an athame in my room.

So yeah. Some vague form of Wiccan.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 am

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 am

Even just using the term "master" bugs me. :/ Was nice living out of the city. Whether the dogs stuck around was their choice, and not mine. Felt like a genuine friendship instead of cramming the poor thing into a tiny home.

Benkyo
Fenrir

Postby Benkyo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 am

無垢無頼努

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Lumnaya
Ragelope

Postby Lumnaya » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm agnostic. I don't dismiss the possibility of our universe having been created by a transcendental entity — in the broadest sense —, but that's about it. I sometimes wonder what faith “feels” like, if it's something I simply don't have and can't conceive (like a colour I couldn't see or imagine?) or if it's all a matter of reason and making sense of the world.

I like Spinoza's idea of God as Nature — reading about it didn't change my views, but I was impressed by it.

I like SAL's post about free will and Benkyo's reply. The idea of us having no free will at all is disturbing and the idea of a non-physical “soul” certainly seems more pleasant and closer to what we experience… Though even if everything is physical and determined, we could still have motivation — just not in the sense we would like. As in Schopenauer's quote on the — maybe we can do what we will but not will what we will. I don't know.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 am

Since I started coming here in 2010 I've done a(n extremely gradual) 180 on religion. Even though I had a fairly happy childhood under christianity, the way I see it now is that it teaches kids that their fuckups are their fault and the good always belongs to god. This messed me up pretty hard for a long time, even if I didn't see it.

I'm much happier with myself and in general now, and wouldn't have it any other way. hail satan

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

praise the dark lord

29 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”