Supporting Piracy

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

godline
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Supporting Piracy

Postby godline » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't support PIRATED GOODS.

Anyone here supports this?

Here is what I think about it: Stealing
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Especially when it comes to ATLUS Games...
I buy them fair and square.
I don't want to cheat on them.

Is piracy really a good thing? Well, if one can only think of oneself, then yes.
But if you really look into it....

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Supporting Piracy

Postby PLA » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm

I support stealing. :3 Yay!

Aww, not from Atlus. ´:3
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:51 am

I used to download music without really thinking about it. I also used to have emulators and ROMs on my computer, but I tended to stick with games I had owned in the past (when my actual consoles still worked)... and Rocky & Pocky.

Now, I purchase music or simply use services like Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify, last.fm and YouTube (or my new favorite, 8tracks!) to listen to what I want to hear, and I haven't downloaded any games since my high school days.

I guess I really only have a problem with piracy when someone goes as far as copying and selling something. If you are just strapped for cash, it's hard to say that downloading some things here and there is all that terrible in the grand scheme of things. And hey, I'm sure every penniless downloader has every intention of supporting their various favorite artists/developers in other ways, like merchandise and event tickets.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:03 am

<_< I have a problem with piracy. I think it's wrong, and yet... I often get certain products, like my visual novels, pirated. BUT at the same time, I have ever intention of one day buying them. *hugs her copy of Ever17*

I would kill to own Umineko and Higurashi.

So... while I know I've pirated some things and it's bad, I don't feel SO bad because I know I will purchase it in the future, but at the same time even I can see that this is a really fucked up way of thinking. -_-;

However, products that can easily be purchased in my local store right down the street - HELL NO I would never pirate that! :[ That's just blatant inexcusable theft.

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 am

As for music, I only pirate video game soundtracks, because if I own the game already I supported the freaking company enough already. I have like, 3 or 4 movies on my laptop, and two comic book series. I also buy some movies, and am collecting a comic book series, so I don't feel bad about that. And there's one TV series I watch on a site, but it's on TV free anyways every week. As for games, I have Earthbound, Link to the Past, and Metroid something on an NES emulator, and that's it.

I think if you're not going crazy with emulating things, and you're not selling it, it's fine. It's really all about moderation.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 am

To be honest, when I am dead serious of getting what I really want, I buy pirated goods.

But I will never steal ATLUS. I Love ATLUS..! :)

Well, I sometimes do feel bad... Or is it just me?

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:55 am

i bet all of you would pirate a car ALL OF YOU err i mean

Oh yes I can't say anything much about it, but I can't go against it without being a hypocrite (=-_-=)

It IS a good way to say, view a product and see if you want to support them or maybe just looking at those VNs or games that it would be difficult to get (I'm looking at you SNES games and those Square RPGs like Live-a-Live!).

And those who go against it generally are pretty bad about it, one band bootlegged their music and sold it or something and others along the line! Some are pretty cool with it, Weird Al doesn't mind as long as you don't attributed any songs he WOULDN'T sing in any lifetime.

If I had to say, let pirates be pirates, frankly it's downright impossible to stop them and it's not a outright stealing; They're not taking physical copies of the game! And making DRM is a exercise in futility(try making a game and say it's unhackable, it'll be broken within the hour! And don't forget the complaints of the customers that bought it...) Frankly, probably Steam does the DRM thing the best.

...Well guess I really do support it (=^_^=)"

Speaking of Weird Al, his free song encompasses it the best nya~

When you're alone, always remember:

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Hey... you got a point there...

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:16 am

Well, honestly, I'm not a huge fan of piracy, but!

I had to try out Duke Nukem Forever, since the demo DIDN'T work for me. And you know? I was glad I only tried the full game (which I downloaded, ow) for a few minutes, because it was utter garbage.

And I was planning to get it.

But honestly, if I really want something, let that be DVDs, then I will probably get it. I love looking at retail DVDs and such on my shelves.

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:25 am

All of us HAD to do this for the sake of something...

It is quite tempting, to be honest!

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:27 am

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:31 am

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:47 am

I pirate things I own but no longer works on my OS [Rest in peace Tomb Raider I and old DOS games...]

The 2 other reasons I may pirate are if
1: The game [especially if its a PC game] has no Demo, so I can't test the feel before I buy it. If I like the game I'll guy out and buy it (I force myself), If I don't the game and all of its contents hits the recycling bin in 10 seconds flat.
2: To make videos of Nintendo DS Games I already Own

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:24 am

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

Randomnicity
Ragelope

Postby Randomnicity » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 am

I mainly pirate shows and movies.

I'm not going to spend $30 for a DVD of a movie or TV show with the only justification of the added cost being a gag reel and commentaries. I want to pay for what I want to buy, that being the movie or the actual episodes of the show. And while I do like gag reels when I do get the chance to watch them, I'm not spending $20 just to hear so and so mess up their lines.

Or for that matter spend more money just to get a box which will get thrown out eventually.

I'd be glad to give the TV and movie industry my money, just not that much.

Speaking of Atlus products, while I do buy Atlus developed titles with little or no hesitation. Ever since Atlus localized Luminous Arc, I've been having serious second thoughts about the stuff they choose to publish in the US. If it's published by Atlus but not developed by them I immediately "test" it out first. As much as I want to support Atlus, there are some games with gameplay that's just so sloppy I can't stomach.

22 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”