Religion

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Religion

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:33 am

The only reason I can think of is because he* exists, but I don't really consider existence sufficient reason to believe that something exists. But if you want a reason why his non-response does not prove his non-existence, then that is another matter. As a being of free will, he is not required to respond to any particular external stimuli is any particular manner. If, for example, you kept trying to call me but I never picked up the phone, that would not be sufficient reason to believe that I do not exist.

*I say he. That is not really accurate. But I'd much rather not use it.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 am

Nope! Actually, I think there's a on the subject.

Honestly, I don't know of anything good that would happen to humanity if we knew for sure that god existed. Personally, I think it's more likely that we'd blame all the world's problems on him and do nothing to fix them ourselves. But I can't say that's why he doesn't let everyone know. He hasn't told me.

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:22 am

All I can say about religion is that I'm fine with people who believe in it as long as they do not force me to agree with their ideas. Constraints and outdated principles really piss me off.

Whether they believe in God or not, it's their business. To me it's like having a penis: it's okay to be proud to have one, but whipping it on someone's face is not okay. I'm still mad at Jehovah witnesses that say 'you're God's bitch, your Buddha too'.

Guess I'm agnostic too...
Last edited by Cottontofu on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:56 pm

PLA? :3
Secular policy, atheist demographic for census and contra mormon-style necromancy; noncognitivistic in terms of academic masturbation; emotionally panmaltheistic.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:55 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 pm

There are religions that predate Christianity that have a bad place. Ancient Greek was one of them, and depending on your perspective so was Sumerian. Oh, and Norse. How could I forget about Norse?

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:30 pm

^ Norse? Do tell.

Most afterlives seem to have been shitty by default, sometimes with a way out for the super-special.
Last edited by PLA on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 pm

^ "Any sort" is, like, a super-broad thing. Even "the very visible waffle-god who lives in your cupboard, creating waffles all day"?

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 pm

^ That's hardly "any sort".
Deities, gods, spirits, guardians, ancestors et cetera. They haven't always had consistent properties even within a region.
The kind you mention wasn't always very fashionable. The god of Abraham, for example, hasn't consistently been described that way.
Zeus, on the other hand, takes on omniscience in a couple of stories; in the case of Prometheus I believe it was a later retelling.

The mormon guy is almighty and allknowing, as far as I know, but occupies a single physical location.

Then again, some alleged omniscient, omnipotent, a few times even omnipresent (somehow) beings aren't supposed to be "in the universe". But those gymnastics sound tough.
Last edited by PLA on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 pm

yeah but the only way to get to the good place in norse mythology was to die gloriously in battle

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

^ And it is mostly a chance to continue dying gloriously in battle. :3

Though if you don't, big things chew on you a long time.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:23 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:52 pm

^ Anyone who believes in any sort of being believes in a particular sort of being?

"Supernatural" tends to be an empty box of a term, by the way. Like an informal honorific. Pressed, it's "not natural", but pressed further, it's "beyond natural" or "supernatural" again.
I've never been convinced of the distinction being very useful.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

24 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”