Sexism Against Men

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

153 posts
noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Random video/youtube thread!!

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:52 pm

first of all it's comedy on its own to me that you linked to an amazing atheist video

second, what's your point? why are you linking this here? do you want to open up a dialogue somewhere?

are you oppressed? can you not do the things you want to do? is a part of society keeping you down for being a man? if so, if out of 10 injustices, with 9 being dealt to a woman for being a woman, does the 1 dealt to you for being a man freak you out? are you threatened? do you feel unsafe walking somewhere in public?

i hate the idea of political correctness and priviliges but i also don't understand your plight, if you have one

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 pm

I've not looked at Garrett's video, but sexism towards men is a basic part of modern society; however, it's just not deemed as sexism as women have had to cope with the problem for centuries.

A prime example of positive discrimination and sexism in the UK is the entire issue of "Lad's Mags". You can basically get magazines that feature what is meant to be an attractive, scantily clad woman and you they're available everywhere. There's now a campaign to have them removed as they objectify women and they're deemed sexist. Here's a picture of one:

Remember people, that these models are PAID for their work and have Twitter follows often of excess of a million people.

Whilst I agree that they're pretty questionable taste and don't do anything for me they're no different from:

Which face no critisim of objectifying or sexist towards men.

Additionally, a far larger issue is:

Which allows sexual harassment in the work place - there are next to no adverts like this whereby a man throws a load of sweets or carbonated drink at a woman and she takes her clothes off - as it wouldn't be allowed.

Sexism happens in both ways, as does positive discrimination against men and the majority race in a country. It's not a good thing. We should all be equal. Feminist don't know what they're talking about, there should be no furthering the rights of women, it should be equalising all rights for all.

[ | | | | ]

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Last edited by Reynard-Miri on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Last edited by Reynard-Miri on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Sexism Against Men

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Started from .

Last post .

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Re: Sexism Against Men

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 pm

The problem I have is that a lot of people, even if you can convince them that it exists, will say that it is so much less common than sexism against women. As in so much less as to not be significant. And I don't think that is correct at all.

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Well, yeah, it's definitely real. If something exists, you can discriminate against it.

However, I think it's unfair to say that society treats both men and women equally, because it doesn't. Men have always had and still do have the upper hand. Because of this, my feeling is that sexism against women is more significant than sexism against men. Because society today is still tilted in the favor of men, more attention does need to be brought to sexism against women because some facets of sexism are just part of people's expectations on how to behave, and you can't just change those by sitting around and doing nothing.

I'd say sexism against men comes a lot from how we view gender roles and stuff like that. Men are supposed to be big, strong, and independent and in charge and you're looked down upon if you're like any of these things. However, it's still easier to get through life as a man than it is as a woman.

Honestly, I'm far from an expert on gender and discrimination, so I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. What exactly are we debating, though? Just the existence of sexism against men or are we talking about how significant it is?

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:40 pm

I can't particularly say we are debating. I was told to take it here if the conversation was going to continue, and I agreed that it was a serious topic, so I moved it here.

But yes, I would say that a significant portion of sexism against men comes from the expectations that society puts on them. Which becomes rather dark when you realize the ramifications of associating being male with being strong, independent, and in charge. Did you know that in the US the suicide rate among men is about 3 times as high as it is among women?

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:17 am

yeah but suicidal depression is higher among women. men just tend towards more effective ways of killing oneself.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 am

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 am

Everytime this conversation emerges in any context it is always a motherfucking train wreck.

But just to make this worse, and contribute to the absurdity of a room of men arguing about who is more oppressed or whatever, I definitely agree with Noodles.

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 am

Yes. Things do exist. Why are we shouting?

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 am

yo garret as someone who has been personally attacked for being a guy, someone who was told by angry feminists i cannot be a feminist just because i am a man, someone who had countless terrible masculine expectations of withheld emotion and gay panics and stuff, someone who has been told a million times that a guy should be able to handle things on his own, and as someone who thinks all of those expectations are completely terrible and bad for society, I cannot say men have it hard by any measure whatsoever. Yes, men do experience prejudice and mistrust for being a guy. Yes, men also sometimes are even raped. Yes, the existence of these things are terrible. No one here is saying those prejudices don't exist. But if you can't say that anyone has it rough without comparison. You can't say any group of people is 'oppressed' without a standard for what oppression is, and the mere existence of isolated incidents is bullshit when girls in america literally have to think about what they wear before going out into public so they don't get gross stares and catcalls. A dude has every right to get mad in the face of prejudice. That guy who was denied breast cancer checks had every right to get mad. But that's the fault of medical practicianers working at clinics specific to female body parts not knowing how to handle a guy coming in and asking for free examinations, not the fault of some society-wide prejudice that men aren't allowed to get cancer. Especially since he would have gotten those examinations with no problem whatsoever if he was going through his normal physician compared to trying to walk into free women's clinics. Saying "men are oppressed" because some men are is the same as saying "men are rapists" because some men are. Those isolated incidents are not representative at all of the experiences of most men. You can't by any real measure, any comparison whatsoever, say that men have it rough in society. And given that, how is it really worth complaining about? Take that shit back to /r/mensrights

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:28 am

i was responding to reynard as much as you, but my point to you specifically was that the existence of male prejudice isnt worth complaining about

153 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”