Sexism Against Men

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

153 posts
Trifkin
Manticor

Re: Sexism Against Men

Postby Trifkin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 pm

I couldn't even finish reading that. Dx

@"Friend Zone Fred" description - I know a girl who thinks a guy is a "pussy" if he doesn't try to make the first move after a couple of dates... even though said girl has already decided she's not interested and doesn't WANT him to kiss her. It's pretty irritating.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:36 am

I think I dislike this girl you know.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:29 am

My roomie. She's cute and fun in a lot of ways, but she was also raised to believe a ton of very negative and often harmful gender stereotypes. Most of the time she isn't even aware of how it affects her life.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Step 1: Make all nouns in the statement gender-neutral.
Step 2: Does that statement describe something bad?

There is no Step 3 for determining whether something is bad.

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm

So how about them Lady Ghostbusters?

I tell you, my Facebook feed is a field day because of the haters. :roll:

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Eh, it's a reboot anyway, so I don't see the problem with calling it plain ol' Ghostbusters and not something stupid like "Lady Ghostbusters."

It matters in as much as it's a step forward towards having more female-centric movies that aren't stereotyped "chick flicks" without making a big huff about it. Unfortunately, a big huff is being made, but it's going to keep being like that until a norm is more established. Right now women have only about a 15% representation in media as a whole.

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Nah, I never said there needs to be segregation, I'm just saying people ought not to complain when we have more movies that push female leads or multi-ethnic casts, or holidays that celebrate a certain group. It's not segregation at all.

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

I kind of feel like I'm having words put in my mouth here. How would pushing female-centered casts *harm* another group, i.e., males? (Peter Dinklage, America's favorite male quite possibly, is sought for the villain role).

And I'm not even talking about atonement. I'm simply talking about oppressed groups making their unique positions more visible, against the claims of others who want to tell them to shut up and be equal already (and they do; I recall just about every Black History Month where I here somebody complaining about it).

I don't really feel like going back and villainising Affirmative Action (which does have its problems), or trying to put a positive spin on militaristic or fanatical movements. I'm just saying that unbalances like these are going to happen; they're inevitable, and to let them take their natural course.

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm all for the day when old-hat sexists die, off (unfortunately, many of their children take their beliefs forward).

And no, I see no problem with a movie pushing four female leads and having a male villain. It's not like it's going to be a man-hating movie. People love villains. People love Dinklage. I told a female friend of mine about his possible role as villain and professed to an instant lady-boner.

I mean, when the role of main hero has been dominated by white males for over eighty years, I think that gives plenty of allowance for fem-dominated film.

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Dr. Joe
Ragelope

Postby Dr. Joe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 pm

I don't really think my post fully falls under that rule but whatever. At this point I am going to self-impose a break from this section. For my blood pressure.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:01 am

Garrett, you are being completely rude here, yet again. You are being combative, you are not listening, and you are putting words in someone else's mouth. Please stop. Focus on being kind.

As for your beef with this casting, it sounds like your fear is that this one movie is going to be the beginning of the end of good movies because they opted for an all-female cast. Where is your complaint about the original being all-male? It isn't going to become "female-dominated cinema." It's simply going to add one film to the somewhat short list of movies that feature women who kick ass. As a female, I can tell you very firmly that I greatly appreciate seeing portrayals like this, because I don't think it's healthy to grow up with nothing but Disney protagonists as role models in media. Every time I watch the Terminator movies and see Sarah Connor working out and kicking ass while still being a complex and sympathetic human being I feel so happy, because I'm reminded that I can do the same things.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:19 am

equality will happen when someone can make an all-female movie and no one will say a 50/50 cast would be more progressive

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm

I think it's gonna flop big time and not because it has female leads, but because most of the actresses they chose have a long history of being very unfunny.

Maybe the writing will be good, but with Ramis pushing up the daisies, I won't hold my breath.

RIP

153 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”