Food and Law

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:41 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kaining
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kaining » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:15 pm

I think the article does a good point of illustrating the fact that most people have no idea what's in their food. If you asked them how many grams of sugar or how many calories are in that 20oz Coca-cola they're chugging, they'd just stare at you or maybe turn the bottle around to look stupidly at the label. If you asked how many calories their daily muffin has, or what's the calorie content of their burger? No clue.
Which is where this law comes in. It offers the information for those who care and, maybe, it'll pressure companies to offer better fare. Right now they know that if they pump it full of sugar and fat it'll be tasty and, since they didn't have to release the information, they could make it sound good. Salad? That seems healthy! Burger and fries? It can't be all that terrible... right?

This law is good because it's only fair to let people know what they eat. If they want to eat 800 calorie muffins by all means let them, but then don't be surprised when eating 4,000 calories a day and always driving your car/sitting/otherwise not moving causes you to gain weight like a small whale.

In France, most fast food chains offer healthier fare than the same chain in America. McDonald's, for example, serves healthier french fries and big macs to the French than it does to, say, Alabama or Washington DC.
We have a book here that was recently very popular called "French women don't get fat." All the health articles rave about how the French eat cheese and wine and meat and yet don't have nearly as many heart attacks or obesity problems as we do in the US.

Kaining
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kaining » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Kaining
Fenrir

Postby Kaining » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:35 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:59 pm

22 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”