School Athletic Programs

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
madonna
Fenrir

Postby madonna » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

madonna
Fenrir

Postby madonna » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:12 pm

^That is fine, but many of you at one time have said you didn't care if a topic went a little off topic. I guess I would be curious to see what would happen if all of the posts that were off topic around here were all deleted. Anyway......

This isn't always the case, but many times universities are spending money on athletic facilities that was donated for the sole purpose of being used for athletic facilities/programs. Money that would not have been donated otherwise. University of North Dakota has an amazing hockey facility that was funded entirely donations.

You are correct. Universities exist to educate. Part of an education is being a well rounded individual. Athletics and physical performance do fit into that -- I believe most colleges, well at least 4 year colleges, have required human performance curriculum in the United States. And lets be honest, it is pretty common knowledge that the U.S. is facing a pretty serious dilemma regarding obesity and poor health. There should be some emphasis on general health and physical fitness.

I don't have a problem with anyone feeling the way that you do. I actually voted against the expansion of some athletic facilities on a student referendum a few years back. I believe there are discrepancies in what is spent where, but I also feel people want to dismiss athletic programs waaaay too easily. It has almost become a cliche on video game related boards.

And again, there is the business side of the equation. Big time sports programs are big time business that draw revenue -- I didn't even list the numerous revenue generators from a new stadium alone. Revenue that benefits the entire school. As sad as it might be, people aren't buying smocks with the names of scientists or engineers on the back of them. They are buying jerseys and school sports apparel -- money that goes right back to the schools. I even believe the NCAA website list Division I school payouts for bowl games.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:32 pm

The off-topic discussion was ended. You posted after I had announced the return to the topic subject, therefore I deleted your post. You posted again and I relocated it to the appropriate forum.

madonna
Fenrir

Postby madonna » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 pm

^I simply commented on your comment regarding what you perceived as a 'unique' situation and stated that I would drop it. But whatever,....... *shrugs*

That is why I take screencaps when I post here.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:51 pm

The matter is closed. I hate to pull rank, but I am a moderator and, as such, my decision is the final word. If you post again in this thread, it must be about school athletic programs.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”