Objective vs. Subjective Morality

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Objective vs. Subjective Morality

Postby Hanyou » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:42 am

Another way of expressing this is "absolute vs. relative morality." Where do you stand on this issue? Is there an overarching moral order, or is the concept of right and wrong wholly manufactured by society and family?

I believe there are absolute moral laws, and I'm willing to defend that extensively as necessary.* Where do you stand?

*Well, it might take a week, since I have some big projects, but I will do so as soon as I can.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:46 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 am

subjective morals != non-existent morals

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:25 am

I believe that "Right" and "wrong" decisions, in terms of society, were creations of humanity.

UltimaPi
Ragelope

Postby UltimaPi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 am

The impossible is real. Logic is the illusion.

Kalth
Ragelope

Postby Kalth » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 am

For the standards of society as mankind has made it, moral values are needed to keep everything in check.
There are two ways you could look at it. The first is this: standard society of the modern human in most situations across the globe has some form of moral standards or another. So using that argument, you could say that it is merely a figment of philosophical creation.
But.
Humans are, perhaps via evolution or divine creation (I'll leave that debate for another day) programmed as social beings. It's a natural instinct for survival, and since society needs morals to function properly, it could also be considered something passed along via the base instinct to survive.

Still. People showing signs of no conscience or guilt are labeled as "psychopathic" (yes, that's the correct definition) and are henceforth considered 'wrong' by society. Yet another sign that humans root out others that do not follow the same standards as they do...
But do they follow these rules so loyally because they feel they need to do so, or because they are genetically programmed to for survival?...

All in all, it comes down to genetics versus mind. If the first one is correct, then a situation where morals need to be put aside may also arise when survival comes out on top of all other objectives.
"Laser catfish!"

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:09 am

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm

I'll do my best. Skip to my last "paragraph" if you'd like to avoid explanation. While I'm not an advocate of all of Kant's ideas, there are some with which I agree. One is Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative...to an extent.

Really, I think the idea of acting only in accordance with what you would will to be universal law is nice, but incomplete. There are some cases that introduce moral ambiguity. Kant was an avid opponent of lying; I think that lying to protect runaway slaves, if it is the only option, is perfectly alright, and perhaps a morally superior option to simply handing them over (although finding a way to protect them without lying may be best). So what you have here is a matrix of possibilities. You may avoid oversimplification while still endorsing an absolutist view.

Some think that saying "lying is sometimes the right thing to do" makes one a moral relativist. Not any more than saying "dividing some numbers by some other numbers may result in a decimal" makes one a mathematical relativist. Because depending on the situation, there will always be a morally superior choice; there will always be a morally inferior choice; there will often be a gray area that tilts one way or the other--just as in math, there are better and worse approximations, and answers that are simply wrong.

In short, then, morality is a priori right or wrong, based on action or intention, not solely on results. Superior moral decisions will result from adherence to that pre-existing moral code as best as possible. Whatever that view is, it's certainly not utilitarian.

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:49 pm

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:43 pm

29 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”