All Hail our new black president

Discuss serious topics. No trolls permitted!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 am

I wasn't really all the way for either candidate, but I would have felt safer with McCain as president.

Although I really want this nation to look at itself and to progress, and though I really want to move away from the war on terror and all of that shit, the fact remains that we still have soldiers in the middle east, fighting and dying for a cause you don't even see in the news anymore.

World War II was probably America's last war that was, despite its absolute horrors, portrayed as......glorious. Every since then, especially since Vietnam, the men who stand up and fight when called upon have been treated like shit. But at least Vietnam was talked about until the very end. Right now, people are dying, and all you get is the little scrolling thing at the bottom of the screen on CNN mentioning how many people died in the week. Any people dying at all is an absolute tragedy, and in our day-to-day lives, we don't even think about it.

I was never for the Iraq war. I think the reasons we went there were crap. I wish we never went there at all, even though we did take down that monster Saddam. But the fact is that we're there, and we need to finish what we started. Simply forgetting about it and leaving would be a cowardly, shitheaded thing to do.

McCain, a man who was shot down over Vietnam in 1967, captured by the North Vietnamese, and tortured for 5 years, being given a chance for release but turning it down so that his comrades wouldn't be left to suffer, a man who understands the soldier, would have known how to handle the situation in Iraq.

Though I think Obama will be a good president, though I think he is someone America needs, I think McCain should have won the election.

We are spending billions of dollars on the war every month. How can try to fix our fucked economy without handling an open wound like that?

We're not gonna get out of the situation we're in now unless we finish Iraq and finish it right. I'd rather have McCain finish Iraq in 4-8 years (better sooner than later of course) and THEN vote Obama in, unless we had another candidate who could blow Obama's ass out of the water.

in closing.....

COOOOOOBRAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAALALLAALALALLALALAALLALALALLAALALALAALALALALALALA

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 am

I actually voted for Cobra Commander via write-in space.
I'm serious, too.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 pm

I'd just like to say that I'm more in love with Obama now than ever. He has done so much that I agree with in such a short time --

And now he's just appointed an openly gay politician as the head of the "Community and Faith-based Service" department, or whatever it's called. Basically, there is now a gay man controlling which organizations receive federal funding. Obama has promised to go through the system and weed out the organizations that don't work -- which I strongly suspect means that abstinence-only will no longer be the federal policy on sex education! WHOOT! 'Cause it's been proven over and over and fucking over again that abstinence-only education DOES NOT WORK... just look at Bristol Palin for a prime example.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Of course, not that I'm ever the most on-the-top of this all, but what I have seen, I really am liking so far as well! The only thing "bad" I have heard about him is him picking guys or something that have cheated on their taxes in one way or another, by accident or not - which I have personally felt I don't think has anything to do with Obama and I wish people would get over the whole nonsense.

:( I really wish I was more into politics, sometimes.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:09 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:25 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:34 pm

You forget, politicians are not people. They are perfect.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:46 pm

No, I'm sure he's a millionaire and makes WAY MORE than 128K a year -- remember, that's just the taxes that he owed. Taken as a percentage of income, and adjusted for taxes already paid? (He filed taxe, he just didn't do it properly to account for his car and driver, as I understand it).

Most politicians, especially at a federal level, are wealthy from sources indepedent of their political paycheck.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:30 am

ugh oh man the only thing that really makes me cross is when people vote for shit like that train that will go from LA to San Francisco

the people who voted for it obviously aren't realizing how much money is going to be yanked out of our pockets to work on that thing. There is no way the cost of the ticket or the amount of people taking the trip will ever cover the cost of the project...

Now, a trip from LA to Las Vegas would make sense, because then Nevada would share the cost.

Really, if people would just understand what they were voting for, I would have fewer complaints about this country

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:56 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:45 am

This country definitely needs more trains.

Seniwac
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Seniwac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:07 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 am

look, there is no way the new jobs will compensate for the astronomical cost of the thing. There will simply not be enough people riding on it. There isn't enough reason for it in the first place. If it was a little trolley that goes around the city, that would be fine. If it was a monorail that went around the county, that would be fine too. But a train that goes from one end of the state to the other? Remember, this is like a train going from Georgia to Virginia, with only one state paying for it. They will be laying down a new railroad across the land, not using existing ones.

It will be cheaper to fly!!

In southern California, we don't have thick urban centers like the East and Midwest, or even northern California. The cities are massive, unorganized, unplanned, nonsensical sprawls. Trains aren't practical here. It's not like other places where the shopping, industrial, and residential districts are all separate, making little trains super efficient.

The people here will not care about San Francisco enough to take the expensive train trip there. I live here, you're gonna have to trust me on that one. It'll probably end up cheapest to drive, and here, everyone has a car.

The only good way to bring more trains into the United States would be to completely rebuild the infrastructure. We are so entrenched in old customs, technology, and structures, that plopping those things in there is impossible.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
88 posts

Return to “Debate & Serious Topics”